The Student Room Group

Gap year - become a phlebotomist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Besakt
Have you applied for it yet? I am also applying to be a phlebo.

On the person specification it says you need "NVQ in care related field" and "Venepuncture experience" both of which I do not have.

Did you have any of these when you applied?

Hey,

Just sent an application in on the 6th for a part-time phleb post at my local hospital via NHS Jobs - it said NVQ level 2 or equivalent (GCSEs) in a care related field, said experience wasn't necessary, but desirable and training will be given on the job if necessary.

I don't have the NVQ Level 2, but I have the equivalent of NVQ Level 3 (A levels), so hopefully that'll be better.

But then on the application form (why I should be given this job) I talked about my work experience in hospitals + my voluntary work. :redface:

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by twelve
You're joking right?

I've got three pages worth of competencies to get signed off to be able to do BMs monitoring... And don't even get me started on the obs competencies.

Yeah and I've got a file kicking about full of patient labels from observed bloodtaking, observed this observed that, a venepuncture and cannulation booklet, bla bla bla bla bla.

A lot of it is bull****, really, and most people know it. It's down to a combination of (a) trusts covering their backs and (b) the fact that you're working under the supervision of a registered nurse who doesn't want to be in front of the NMC because you, as a HCA, did something stupid, and they - the RN - therefore need all this paperwork to cover their backs. Fair enough.

And, of course, possibly (c) the fact that some registered (i.e. real) nurses hate you/the HCA role, and will patronise you in extremis, although I know that new nurses have to do all this competencies bull**** for simple tasks too..

Don't get me started on 'elearning' though..! Did you have to do that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by machines
Yeah and I've got a file kicking about full of patient labels from observed bloodtaking, observed this observed that, a venepuncture and cannulation booklet, bla bla bla bla bla.

A lot of it is bull****, really, and most people know it. It's down to a combination of (a) trusts covering their backs and (b) the fact that you're working under the supervision of a registered nurse who doesn't want to be in front of the NMC because you, as a HCA, did something stupid, and they - the RN - therefore need all this paperwork to cover their backs. Fair enough.

And, of course, possibly (c) the fact that some registered (i.e. real) nurses hate you/the HCA role, and will patronise you in extremis, although I know that new nurses have to do all this competencies bull**** for simple tasks too..

Don't get me started on 'elearning' though..! Did you have to do that?

Its true really, everyone knows its rubbish. And the ridiculous thing is that the trust doesn't have to complete these competencies for the BMs, its just the agency staff. And trained nurses are having to do the same two hour training session that us HCAs do to use the new BMs meters (hahahahaha, brilliant) I know its necessary, but this paperwork is soooooo lonnggggg and sooooo borrrinngggggg :frown:

Hahah, we have to do the elearning to update stuff like fire safety training I think, but other than that, we actually have to ATTEND courses (although, for the mandatory ones, I think we get paid for it :biggrin:)
Original post by thegodofgod
x

Hey I remember you from the Southampton med applicant thread :tongue:

First off, sorry to hear about your rejections and it's good to see you're picking yourself up and focusing on improving your application and planning to making the most of a gap year :redface:

What I did was apply for a permanent HCA job in a hospital - I didn't mention anything about uni or medicine or leaving after a year. I just wanted "experience in a healthcare setting before I could decide on what I wanted to do"
I applied straight after my last exam and had the interviews, CRB checks inductions etc in place within a month and started in July.
HCA's generally only stay for a year anyway, which I imagine you would do and still have time for a holiday before uni anyways.
Venepuncture training doesn't take more than a few months at most, I did the theory day in September, did two days of taking blood non-stop (about 20 patients supervised) then did unsupervised practise for a month - I was signed off by November - it's not supposed to take long, you need to practise while the theory is still fresh in your mind and on-going practise is the essential bit

Anyway to cut a long-story short, I suggest you apply for a permanent HCA job in London and they will probably want to train you in phlebotomy. I'll PM you the hospital where I'm working at the moment (they are currently trying to get all of their HCA's trained in phlebotomy). You'd get the overall healthcare experience plus learning a clinical skill you will need in your medical career :smile:

Then this time next year, when you'll hopefully have your offer, you'd be a super expert at blood taking and have an amazing knack for patients that only comes from working as a HCA for 12 months :cool:, you can apply to be put on the hospital bank and have a £13-£15 per hour job waiting for you when you come back from uni in the holidays after boozing away your student loan :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Hey I remember you from the Southampton med applicant thread :tongue:

First off, sorry to hear about your rejections and it's good to see you're picking yourself up and focusing on improving your application and planning to making the most of a gap year :redface:

What I did was apply for a permanent HCA job in a hospital - I didn't mention anything about uni or medicine or leaving after a year. I just wanted "experience in a healthcare setting before I could decide on what I wanted to do"
I applied straight after my last exam and had the interviews, CRB checks inductions etc in place within a month and started in July.
HCA's generally only stay for a year anyway, which I imagine you would do and still have time for a holiday before uni anyways.
Venepuncture training doesn't take more than a few months at most, I did the theory day in September, did two days of taking blood non-stop (about 20 patients supervised) then did unsupervised practise for a month - I was signed off by November - it's not supposed to take long, you need to practise while the theory is still fresh in your mind and on-going practise is the essential bit

Anyway to cut a long-story short, I suggest you apply for a permanent HCA job in London and they will probably want to train you in phlebotomy. I'll PM you the hospital where I'm working at the moment (they are currently trying to get all of their HCA's trained in phlebotomy). You'd get the overall healthcare experience plus learning a clinical skill you will need in your medical career :smile:

Then this time next year, when you'll hopefully have your offer, you'd be a super expert at blood taking and have an amazing knack for patients that only comes from working as a HCA for 12 months :cool:, you can apply to be put on the hospital bank and have a £13-£15 per hour job waiting for you when you come back from uni in the holidays after boozing away your student loan :tongue:

Hey,

I've been applying for phlebotomist / HCA jobs left, right and centre through NHS Jobs, but all of the feedback I've got from the HR people is that they want some sort of experience of working as an HCA, which I can't really get until I get a job :mad:

Thanks for the info anyway, and best of luck at Peninsula :biggrin:
Hey,

I've been applying for phlebotomist / HCA jobs left, right and centre through NHS Jobs, but all of the feedback I've got from the HR people is that they want some sort of experience of working as an HCA, which I can't really get until I get a job :mad:

Thanks for the info anyway, and best of luck at Peninsula :biggrin:

I had zero healthcare experience, yet I still got the job.
Trust me when I say it's entirely how you word it, they have to use a strict, literally "ticking-boxes" criteria, if you tick these boxes, policy says they have to interview you.
I just went through each aspect of the person specification and explained why I had what it was they were asking for, I even used some of the same words to make it simple as possible to understand :tongue:
Downplay your academics bit, I think you can only enter like 6/7 so enter your lowest grades but include maths and english. Exaggerate your voluntary stuff, I think I said something like "Gold award for 140 hours of community service" (which I did get but only because it was part of my CSLA :tongue:).
Just generally make yourself out to be this really humble, eager-to-learn type of person who wants to care for the world..

I actually applied for a band 3 post but was only offered band 2 due to lack of experience, but now I know and do more than the band 3 HCA who I work with in my department, they ended up training me more because I tried to show that I was willing to learn anything and the nurses were glad of the extra help.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll get something to spruce up your application anyways, doesn't have to be as a HCA/phlebotomist but I still say keep trying because around July/September/August vacancies really start to open
Good luck with it all :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Make sure you match the personal specs and the job specs in your thing, basically when they say "hca" experience it's any care experience, surely you've done voluntary work at an old peoples home or a similar setting, maybe even SJA or something as loosely connected at that.
That's what I did they said experience preferable but not necesary, if you talk about yourself and the care roles you provided that should tick the box, it's about getting the to interview phase by ticking boxes and then the rest is down to you.
Reply 47
Original post by CpnCornetto
Make sure you match the personal specs and the job specs in your thing, basically when they say "hca" experience it's any care experience, surely you've done voluntary work at an old peoples home or a similar setting, maybe even SJA or something as loosely connected at that.
That's what I did they said experience preferable but not necesary, if you talk about yourself and the care roles you provided that should tick the box, it's about getting the to interview phase by ticking boxes and then the rest is down to you.

Yeah, I have voluntary experience in a caring role at nursing home for dementia sufferers, but even then, it isn't a 'caring' role as such, as all I really do is play board games / do quizzes with them (although I do help feed them, so I suppose that's helpful :redface:).

I also have medical work experience, where I also shadowed a team of nurses for a day, so I've mentioned that as well.

I guess I could copy and manipulate the medical / voluntary work experience paragraph from my personal statement :awesome:

Cheers for the help though :biggrin:
Yeah, I have voluntary experience in a caring role at nursing home for dementia sufferers, but even then, it isn't a 'caring' role as such, as all I really do is play board games / do quizzes with them (although I do help feed them, so I suppose that's helpful :redface:).

I also have medical work experience, where I also shadowed a team of nurses for a day, so I've mentioned that as well.

I guess I could copy and manipulate the medical / voluntary work experience paragraph from my personal statement :awesome:

Cheers for the help though :biggrin:

That is care work though, you're caring not just for their physical wellbeing by clothing , washing and feeding them but you've also got to consider how they're feeling, I can imagine being stuck in a retirement home with four walls and the same old daytime tv to stare at being my idea of hell, going in and playing board games you're giving them something to do, taking their minds of the fact that their bodies are progressively failing them and that they'll eventually die probably within those very same beige walls, if not those then the clinically clean walls of a hospital.
I mean the well being of the coffin dodgers is more than just getting them to eat and that, and care is more than just giving them the opportunity to do basic things. but yeah i'd say it counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending