The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: THAT's my Fave, Because of THIS!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by MelissaJayne
I went to a French organic restaurant in London before seeing Wicked at the theatre and I had a chorizo and Prawn hot salad. It was actually, gorgeous. The prawn and sausage combo worked so well, the sweetness and saltiness balancing each other out. And it was olive free, which is always a relief.

fave and why of BASSETS sweets

Wow, sounds AMAZING. P.s. Wicked is awesome, am I right?

For me, Bassetts are the makers of some of the best sweets. From Liquorice Allsorts (sue me, I like em!), to the Jelly Babies, to the Mints, sometimes Bassetts can't be beat. If I had to pick just ONE, it'd have to be the Jelly Babies. Just because there's something about em, I can't put my finger on it, but they just hit the right sweety spots. And ain't no way you're having just one.
Course, they are closely followed by Liquorice Allsorts, because I love me some liquorice and sugar :biggrin: But you can get other makes of these, like Dolly Mixture, which are just as good. Howeverrrrrr, I just googled and found they did 'Dessert Allsorts':
Strawberry Cheesecake, Apple Tart, Lemon Pie, Chocolate Cheesecake, Berry Pie, Strawberry and Vanilla, Strawberry Pie, Lemon Cheesecake, Apple Cheesecake, Summer Fruit Pudding, Chocolate Tart, and Apple and Blackcurrant
I am AMAZINGLY disappointed I didn't get to try these...

FAVOURITE ROWNTREES PRODUCT?
Reply 781
I would've been hard pressed to choose between the Kit Kat and Smarties, until Nestle bought them and did some magic to them to make them... er... less good.

CURRENT Rowntrees... hmm. Bursting Bugs were epic, but as they're discontinued, it HAS to go to Fruit Pastilles. No other gum is like them, despite being such a totally simplistic design. GUM SWEETS. COVER IN SUGAR. DONE.

And which kid doesn't need sugar with their sugar? HONESTLY?

Your fave and why of: MAYO-BASED SALADS (coleslaws, potato salads, Russian Salads etc)?
Coleslaw with red onion! Man, that is good mayo-based stodgyness. It works so well as a side with a whole bundle of meats! Also...a cheeky spoonful from the pot doesn't hurt either.

FAVE and WHY of: Jam flavours
Reply 783
BRAMBLE JAM (blackberry)!
Unlike rasp or strawb, it isn't super-sweet. Unlike gooseberry, it isn't bitty. Unlike marmalades, it's not insanely tart; its juuuuuust right.

Your fave and why of: TYPES OF WEETABIX CEREALS (INC. EXTENDED RANGE LIKE WEETOS, CRUNCHY BRAN AND WEETAFLAKES)?
Weetos Meteors! I was gonna say Weetabix itself but I guess thats a expected answer. I love chocolate weetos, and meteors just offer that extra fun factor. I like thaaa stars.

Fave and why of white chocolate
Milky bar buttons, because they just melt on the tongue.

FAVOURITE AND WHY OF INDIAN SIDE DISHES?
Reply 786
Damn, missed out on the white chocolate question, and you KNOW how much I love it :P

Indian sides are amazing, so flavourful, if not a tad garlicy but hey! I don't need close contact with people. I love Pakoras, Samosas etc, but I guess they aren't really sides? So instead I'll say Saag Aloo. Boring answer I know but hey, I love me some tato and spinach! It's one of the few times I'll actually opt for veggie over meat, I think it's a lovely balance of flavours, with no spice (woohoo for my poor wimpy tastebuds!), and a lovely soft potato.

FAVOURITE AND WHY OF SWEET SNACKS USING NUTS
Reply 787
Peanut/hazelnut brittle (not payday bars though!!)

The sweet hardened caramel is all you need to compliment the duskier, creamy nut flavours whilst letting the nuts remain the stars; chocolate etc always nick their thunder!!

Your fave and why of "SHARING BLOCKS" OF CHOCOLATE?
Reply 788
toblerone.jpg
I'm guessing the 2kg Toblerone doesn't count? :biggrin:

I'd probably say the Dairy Milk ones, because I'm actually willing to share it. Whereas Galaxy is like a premium chocolate meaning I'll have a few squares and then come back to it the next day and enjoy it just as much, Dairy Milk can be a bit plain, or samey, meaning sharing it is better. Plus, sharing a chocolate bar like Dairy Milk means you;re unlikely to get someone fussy who's like 'Na, I don't eat nuts/caramel/fruit/fun'. Everyone likes Dairy Milk! Sept those weirdos who don't...

FAVOURITE GALAXY PRODUCT THAT ISN'T THE PLAIN GALAXY CHOCOLATE BAR?
RIPPLE. Because it's just awesome. Like a Flake but made with nicer tasting chocolate. Win.

FAVOURITE BREAKFAST TO HAVE ON A COLD MORNING AND WHY?
Reply 790
Weetabix, hot, with sugarrrrrrr.

DONE. A hug from inside, and I'm warm for the rest of the day. Well, a little while anyway.

FAVOURITE FOOD TO HAVE ON A HOT MORNING AND WHY?
Cold mashed weetabix. Really don't like hot foods on hot mornings. Weetabix aren't too sweet either.

Favourite thing to have with porridge?
Coco pops and almond milk. And then a crushed up chocolate cookie/biscuit crumbled on top.
Yeah baby. Why? Because the almond milk makes it thick, creamy, lovely taste. Coco pops kinda half sog, half have crunch..and turn the milky porridge chocolatey. And the biscuit gives that additional texture and taste. SO GOOD.

Favourite food to play with when it's on your plate?
Spaghetti! Love twirling it round and round and round my fork.

Favourite topping on a pizza?
Reply 794
BBQ. Since discovering texas bbq from dominoes a few years ago it's been my favourite replacing meat feast. Persoally I find it a bit more exciting.

Favourite dolmino's sauce?
Reply 795
Its all bottled, mass produced nonsense but that garlic herb dip is infuriatingly addictive... Why???!!!

Your fave and why of desserts using jelly?
Reply 796
Trifle! Is there another choice?! Bar jelly and ice cream at a kids party :wink: but no, trifle has that lovely layers thing going on, sponge fruit jelly custard cream. S'all good in the pud :biggrin:

FAVOURITE AND WHY OF SHREDDED FOODS?
This one is easy! Shredded duck in pancakes! I can go through a whole meal just eating my body weight in shredded duck at a chinese buffet. It's always on my plate, and it just so tasty! I don't know what it is that makes it so addictive for me, the taste, the texture, the smell? Who knows. All I know is, is that it's damn good.

FAVE and WHY of:

Street foods
Reply 798
All time favourite is such a toughie, there are so many good street foods. I've always wanted to go to Asia and try their street food. I'm a sucker for the sweet street food though, so the likes of Belgium etc call to me.

I think all time favourite, though it may have been la romance that intervened and increased my enjoyment, but a hot nutella crepe en pari a la Chanps Élysées. C'etait tres tres bien. Et parce que c'etait chaud Et j'etait froid, c'etait plus bien!

Sorry about that, I seem to have turned French. It's the crepe memories; it does things to you...

Favourite food from Belgium?
HEHEHE CHOCOOOOO PLZPLZPLZ. My mum gets a lot of Taxis and has made friends with a cab driver, randomly he was going to belgium, bought back lots of chocolate and gave us loads. THEY DO IT RIGHT. And i'm yet to try a lot of their other food? (what do they do, actually? curious.)

Favourite scrambled egg addition?

Quick Reply

Latest