The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: THAT's my Fave, Because of THIS!

Scroll to see replies

Ah man, unless they're proper fried crispy ones I don't really like wedges. The oven ones are AWFUL. Most decent ones I've ever had were from a pub with like a tartar dip I think it was. So I'll vote that!

Your fave and why of PREMIUM PRICE products?
Reply 981
Cheap fruit and veg differs minimally from top price. Cheap sausages have higher fat content... So are yummier. Cheaper cuts of steak have better marbling than grade A fillet, and as such are juicier. I even rate overall, bog standard Dairy Milk over Hotel Chocolat for consistency of product.

I had a hard job thinking, and if we're talking supermarket premium (as oppose to big brand on the whole, when the answer would be Pepsi), then my vote goes to PREMIUM SUPERMARKET SLICED COOKED HAM/CHICKEN. even cheap fish like frozen cobbler can be great, but the jump to premium whitefish is not so huge as bizarre pseudo-rubber water CHICKEN ROLL and Premium chicken slices, or damp fatty ham to premium gammon slices.

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF THINGS THAT COME IN A GREEN PACKET?
Tough one thinking through. I thought, chocolate? Nope, any green would usually mean mint. Chocolate and mint, not for me. Then sweets? Could only really think of Polos and Rowntrees ones. Not my bag, overly. Chewing gum; I do love spearmint but that can't win, surely? Then I thought..ahh..CRISPS! Salt and Vinegar, the flavour of all flavours..but, most good brands are blue. Walkers have too much air. Then it hit me. CUSTARD! YES. Ambrosia custard (mainly green packet). Why? Because I could eat custard hot, cold, on it's own, with a pudding, anything. I even like the skin.

Fave and why of butter uses?
Reply 983
I'm not certain that it's butter, but I think it may be melted on naan bread at Indian restaurants to give it that mouthwatering taste.

Favourite M&S frozen product?
Reply 984
Fusion, it is clarified, seasoned butter (herb ghee) that does that.

Best marks and sparks frozen? Ouch. That's painful. Their frozen calamari is close to perfect. Their ice creams, comparable to haagen Dazs in quality.

Take this with HUGE weight- their Meringue Raspberry Roulade. I think frozen roulades are dire. But marks manages one that, when defrosted, tastes better than one I've eaten in Paris. No joke.

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF FOOD YOU ADD TO A GARDEN SALAD TO MAKE IT A PROPER MEAL?
Original post by TotoMimo
Fusion, it is clarified, seasoned butter (herb ghee) that does that.

Best marks and sparks frozen? Ouch. That's painful. Their frozen calamari is close to perfect. Their ice creams, comparable to haagen Dazs in quality.

Take this with HUGE weight- their Meringue Raspberry Roulade. I think frozen roulades are dire. But marks manages one that, when defrosted, tastes better than one I've eaten in Paris. No joke.

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF FOOD YOU ADD TO A GARDEN SALAD TO MAKE IT A PROPER MEAL?

Tuna and sweetcorn. It maintains it's salad feel with the tinned tuna, as it's still cold. But offers that added protein and fills you up. It suddenly goes from side dish to proper grub. And the little crunch of the sweetcorn stops the tuna being, boring. You know how it can be? And adds little pops/kerns of colour.

fave and why of TUNA?
Reply 986
Call me a heathen if you want, but I would actually forego Tuna steaks for the rest of my life so long as I got my absolute favourite tinned tuna - SAINSBURYS BE GOOD TO YOURSELF CHILLI TUNA WITH BEANS. They come in three mini tin multipacks and I can just open and eat them consecutively with a fork. They're good on their own as a snack, an "add only a bit of greenery if you please" sandwich/tater topping... and NO DRAINING!! awesome. Now if I could just find a tiny fork to scrape that Tiiiiiiiny last bit out of the annoying can-ridge....

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF: THINGS TO ADD TO MASHED POTATO?
Reply 987
It's gotta be bangers! Mash is one of my least eaten forms of potatoe which I never ever cook at home, but bangers and mash is always a nice traditional meal from time to time. How could anyone not say bangers!

Favourite tinned food product to solely eat for a week?
Heinz Big Saucy Bangers & Beans. Not sure if these still exist actually because whenever I look in the supermarket I can only find the ones with meatballs, or the beans with pork sausages (which are smaller and not as tasty). But I could eat these every day with toast, or on chips or a jacket potato, or with mash. So yummy with big juicy sausages.

Favourite product to eat when you're feeling blue? :frown:
Rice pudding. So comforting and evokes childhood memories. If all is wrong with the world, the creamy indulgent and warming taste of rice pudding restores my faith in humanity.

Fav and why of Colmans mixes?
Reply 990
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Heinz Big Saucy Bangers & Beans. Not sure if these still exist actually because whenever I look in the supermarket I can only find the ones with meatballs, or the beans with pork sausages (which are smaller and not as tasty). But I could eat these every day with toast, or on chips or a jacket potato, or with mash. So yummy with big juicy sausages.

Favourite product to eat when you're feeling blue? :frown:

I have to track down those heinz bangers and beans :colone:

Soup. When feeling ill one wants something nutritious, light, easy to prepare and warm. Soup is ideal.

Favourite food to substitute for chips in a fast food meal?
Reply 991
KFC BARBECUE BEANS OR CORN COB.

they're so filling and tasty, relatively virtuous, and how do they make something so mundane so GEWRD??

FAVE AND WHY OF SAUCE ON A SAUSAGE SARNIE?
Brown sauce. Tommy k doesn't quite go with sausages.

Favourite and why of food to eat at a barbecue?
Minted lamb skewers. Because the skewer is a nice handle, as utensils aren't really commonly used at bbqs I go to. More of a stand and eat job than sit down with plates. And mint and lamb are like, an epic combo. And they're pretty hard to go wrong, I always worry chicken etc may be undercooked.

favourite food to nibble on whilst you're making a meal? (usually a component of said meal)
Reply 994
Gotta be grated cheese, it's so damn moreish. And I'm convinced there's a cheese bandit in my house who eats it because one minute I'm nibbling and the next it's all gone.

Favourite drink with a straw?
Reply 995
Mars drink. In the carton it tasted so much better, sort of a more creamy milk chocolate taste. Um bongo was a close competitor.

Faavourite rice product from the supermarket
M&S paella. I'm not big on my rice, but in this case. Exquisite. But then it's not surprising, given M&S put the super into super market. It's generous, good quality seafood, healthy. They have a remarkable way of producing things that taste a million bucks but are actually better for you than many other alternatives.

Favourite dairy milk variety bar (not including the plain)
Reply 997
Oz has some amazing variations; i mean, rocky road and marble still exist. But dairy milk thrives on melting flavour; it only requires texture if you're that way inclined. Shortcake or Wafer were best bets before Cadbury annihilated them! Bwasturdz!!

Fave and why of GO-TO CHAIN PUB MEAL?
I love a bit of Harv. (The Harvester) My favourite meal is probably bbq chicken with garlic doughballs side. UNLIMITED SALAD AND RE-FILL PEPSI MAX. They have generous portions, the salad is actually pretty decent and the chicken has never been overdone. I'm not a massive, LET ME HAVE A STEAK, CHICKEN RIBS ETC girl. Chicken is just enough for me.

fav and why of pouch bag chocolates
I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink Revels because it's like six different types of treats in one bag :h: Either that or Mars planets :h:

Fave & why~ condiment for your skinny fries?

Quick Reply

Latest