The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: THAT's my Fave, Because of THIS!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
This actually boiled down to which snack I feel is most enhanced/enriched by actually applying salt to it.

I thought: SALT N' SHAKE crisps, but then I considered it and I can actually enjoy Salt n' Shake sans-de-sal. Then I thought, CHIPS!! But chips are hardly snack material, more like a meal accompaniment or a post-club gorgefest.

I came to the conclusion - ROCK SALT, AND CUCUMBER. I have actually been known to eat an entire cucumber, dipping it into a small portion of Cornish Chilli Rock Salt; for some reason, cucumber and rock salt just sends it WAY over the edge into AWESOMESNACK territory from just being "that watery salad 'hing."

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF FAST FOOD MEALS THAT COST YOU OVER £10?
Easily gotta be pizza. It's ridiculously expensive, and only a treat for every now and then, but when I do get it it's damn good. Thin pan, of course. But most other fast food doesn't go above the £10 mark, so this was basically the only option! But still, expensive but good!

Favourite use of honey/honey flavour?
Honey roasted parsnips. Literally one of my favourite parts of a roast dinner which is amazing. Why is it amazing? Because I don't like parsnips. The honey is just..magic. I know a ton of people who only like them this way too! And I don't get honey on toast so the parsnip'ed honey situo didn't have much competition. I find honey loops and cereals aren't really..honey enough.

favourite way to have chicken?
In a roast dinner. With KFC, it can sometimes taste a bit bland and dry. It's also nice roasted with chips. My local chippy does this and it's without fail, nice and juicy.

Favourite and why of pie / cake to have with ice cream?
Reply 1184
RHUBARB PIE.
Not crumble; shortcrust pastry pie. With crumble, custard tends to be a better option... It soaks in between the crumble far more effectively. Secondly, the hot crusty pastry and cold creamy ice cream melt together in a temperature, taste and textural explosion, and finally, unlike apple or pear rhubarb tends to be tart, needing that bit of sweetrocity.

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF WAYS TO EAT YOUR HAMBURGER?
It depends, fast food type ones (Mcd's for instance) I'll take smallish bites and savour that greasy ferlavour. If it's the big, 'proper' type burgers, I take small bites, purley because I can't physically take big bites - they're just TOO huge. It's the huge bun, the big bit o' meat and the salad, they're like a tower! But it's gotta be eaten with all layers at once, no matter how much it pains me.

Favourite way to eat your favourite food?
Reply 1186
I don't actually know my favourite singular food; but I do know my answer.

VERY SLOWLY.

I can't understand why people scarf down a food item they covet like they don't want it near their tongue prior to their stomach!! Whether it's a prime fillet of trout, a square of Hotel Chocolat 70%, a slice of moussey Sara Lee Double Choc Gateau or seared beef tataki, I let it SIMMER, DANCE, LINGER on the palate!

Your fave and why of FOOD SMALLER THAN A MARBLE?
Ooh, tough. (side note: I suggest a picnic with the foods you just listed. Like, now?)
Smaller than a marble? Gotta be something sweet, as savoury foods (other than condiments like salt etc which I wouldn't eat alone). So it's gotta be a sweet. At first my answer was simple: Minature PB cups. But on inspection, they're bigger damnit. So, chocolate raisins? Minstrels? Maltesers? Or do I cheat and just say Celebrations? No no, I know my answer. Screw Chewitts and Werthers Orginal, when I have the choice of M&M PEANUT BUTTER FLAVOUR. I've only had them a few times due to their import-necessity (12 times the normal price? Hey, WHY NOT. :/ ) but I love them. They have something to them that Reeces Pieces can't quite do, and the crisp chocolate shell with a smooth PB center is DIVINE. I don't even particularly like PB but these are something else. AMAZING.

Favourite flavour TIC-TAC?
Reply 1188
ORIGINAL (Sugar Free)!

Boring boring now I'm snoring. Right? Pah, screw you, but when I'm eating a Tic-Tac, it's not for an amazing singular second blasting of my chops of lime or something. I'm eating it because it's a MINT, and I want a nice fresh breath and can't be bothered munching through a stick of gum or whatever. If I wanted something fruity, I'd want to SAVOUR, and I'd call up the Chewits Dragon and be all like CHEWITS PLZ and he'd say "SOZ LOL I NOT REAL".

And so forth.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY OF FOOD THAT IS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED AS CHEESE IS ADDED TO IT?
Don't be angry Toto, but I feel compelled to say...

SALTED TORTILLA CHIPS.

Easy and indulgent snack/meal, I love buying the supermarket own brand cheapy tortillas and grating some cheese on them and microwaving them for a bit. Insta-nachos! For students that is. At home it's done in the oven, with chicken pieces and salsa. But on a budget, its t-chips and cheese.

FAVOURITE AND WHY OF FOOD THATS JUST A BIT TOO BIG TO EAT ALL IN ONE GO?
Reply 1190
Dani, I don't hate you for liking cheese on crisps. I JUDGE you, but not hate.

And I'm withholding a bunch of puns for your one for DEFS, but I'm going to answer it with...

(Assuming you mean a single-portion one-person size item, and not OMG AN ENTIRE LARGE PIZZA etc): A PORTION OF CHIPPY CHIPS.

You know when they say "A Portion of Chippy Chips has around 400-650 calories?! They're referring to a standard portion, which is approximately 300Gish, which is this:

But MY chippy, Paulinos, asks "do you want a small chips for £1 or a regular for £1.20?" and you opt for the "regular" because it's just twenty pence more, and you always get THIS:

Christ knows what the large is like. But I LOVE their chips, and you start off like "I'M GONNA DEMOLISH THIS!!" - but halfway through they're getting cold, turning that kinda waxy way cold chippy chips go, and you're both full and not really... enjoying it any more. You're like, eating them JUST to finish them. THIS is the only point where ANYONE EVER offers their chips about, EVER!!

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF FAST FOOD MEAT THAT IS NEITHER CHICKEN NOR A BURGER?
Reply 1191
Kofte kebab. It makes the usual chicken/lamb doner/shish appear one dimensional in taste. Kofte offers a spicy and altogether more distinguished flavoured meat. Another advantage is the shape of kofte makes it a lot easier to eat than the aforementioned kebabs, particularly doner on small pitta.

Favourite pack/brand of SAUCE flavoured crisps?
I really want kebab and chips. Cheers guys!

Favourite brand of sauce flavour crisps - Worcester. Not really a big fan of crisps. (can't have most either) But these have a nice sharp flavour and aren't bland, like ready salted.

Favourite way to have fish?
Reply 1193
PAN FRIED WITH BUTTER.

White fish is exceptionally tasty, and battered is amazing, crumbed is amazing, but panfried is literally PURE flavour; butter enriches the natural rich flavours.

FISH IS AMAZING!!

YOUR FAVE AND WHY FOODS YOU CAN PREPARE IN A MINUTE OR LESS??

PS: I'm gutted at the death of Yin Yang and "Worst of" threads... Good times :frown: xx
Original post by TotoMimo
PAN FRIED WITH BUTTER.

White fish is exceptionally tasty, and battered is amazing, crumbed is amazing, but panfried is literally PURE flavour; butter enriches the natural rich flavours.

FISH IS AMAZING!!

YOUR FAVE AND WHY FOODS YOU CAN PREPARE IN A MINUTE OR LESS??

PS: I'm gutted at the death of Yin Yang and "Worst of" threads... Good times :frown: xx

Where are those threads?! I tried I search for them and I thought I was going mad! They provided me with bountiful entertainment!

Foods I can prepare in a minute:
Cereal! Easy as 1 (get bowl/mug and spoon) 2 (pour cereal) 3 (pour milk). Quick, easy, DELICIOUS. And so much variety! AND the option to mix and match or even heat some up. Good for any and every occasion!

Favourite food/dish to add something green to?
Reply 1195
In terms of presentation, the colour opposite to green is red, just as orange is to blue, and so on, so I'd be tempted to say a nice Gazpacho or tomato-based dish for garnishing. But life is not all about presentation.

I say the humble HAMBURGER.

Take a look at this:

Now, look at the components. Bread. Meat patty. Ketchup. Mush, mush, and...viscous ....liquid. There's no colour. No texture. No bite. It's all mush chew. Now, simply adding a little bit of greenery:

All of a sudden... equilibrium. PERFECTION. A bitta pep, bitta crunch, a bit of substance there that makes the meat so much more interesting!!

(ps, those threads still exist, Dani; they were just moved to "competitions" which is totally ridiculous if you ask me. Perhaps they should move my Dinner Debate to the "Urgent News and Current Events" section....?

And they're found here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1940718&page=30
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1934164&page=72

YOUR FAVE AND WHY OF: FOODS YOU EAT WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY STARVING
I think they were moved to the games / competition forum?

Favourite food to add something green too - a roast dinner. I love broccoli and find it's only one the few veg that I will happily eat. It's nice with cauliflower and cheese sauce too. Yum!

Favourite thing to eat at the cinema?
Reply 1197
You got ninjaaaaaaaad!!
ALL YOU CAN EAT TOBY CARVERY.
I love going to this as a meal out. We usually go about 1/2pm, so I'm usually STARVING because I'm saving myself for the blow out that is the 'all you can eat' challenge.
It's not only filling, but SO tasty, and not actually that bad for you. So you can still have dessert :biggrin: If I'm just generally really hungry when I get in, I don't have a favourite, I'm just hungry and whatever I can find gets CONSUMED. But carvery is planned hunger satisfied.

FAVOURITE FOOD TO SHARE WITH A FRIEND?
Reply 1199
Pizza. It's ideal in terms of it coming in slices plus the in front of the telly culture adds a social aspect.

Favourite frozen meat product and brand?

Quick Reply

Latest