The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge? I've made something for you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ja-m-ie
If your A levels were better than expected, apply if you weren't before! You have nothing to lose.

Of course u lose the chance applying to another uni ... Instead
Reply 61
Original post by ebam_uk
Of course u lose the chance applying to another uni ... Instead

I knew someone would be up on that. Guess I'm going to have to start being more specific again as summer is coming to a close and I can't turn off my brain anymore :tongue:
Reply 62
Less than a month to sort out personal statements. Time flies o.O
Reply 63
Hey Jamie, in your video, you go through the structure of a personal statement with five areas: (why, school, wider reading, co-curricular, interests). Do you think it's a better idea to have these as discrete paragraphs or to blend them and relate them to each other?
Reply 64
Original post by Aeonstorm
Hey Jamie, in your video, you go through the structure of a personal statement with five areas: (why, school, wider reading, co-curricular, interests). Do you think it's a better idea to have these as discrete paragraphs or to blend them and relate them to each other?

Sorry for the late reply.

Making them blend is more difficult but I think it adds something to the statement, so I would recommend that option. It doesn't have to be explicit, just logical. For instance, you could structure it with the following sections (which can have multiple paragraphs):

1. Why you want to read subject x
2. How your A levels sparked this interest
3. The ways you supplemented your A level studies
4. Final concluding remarks

There is a logical sequence to the above structure and it should make your writing more organised and coherent.
Reply 65
Just giving this a bump as the application deadline is awfully soon.
Reply 66
The videos have now made it on to Oxford University's official Youtube page as a recommended playlist!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjgO-QqeHQ3tJwjdtwTJLw0HU0vPl63__
Reply 67
Original post by ebam_uk
Maybe, talk about the negatives of Oxbridge... ie the high work load pressure etc.

I should be doing a 'day in the life' series soon from the perspective of a PPE student.

Also, best of luck to everyone doing interviews!

If anyone is around Magdalen, I'm about until the 9th if anyone fancies a chat :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending