The Student Room Group

St Dominic's or Mill Hill

I got accepted to both mill hill county and st Dominics, but which should I go to? Obviously st doms produces the better result but it is a primarily Catholic school and as a person of a different faith from Christianity it may be a little off putting. If anyone went to st doms was there a lot of stuff that you had to do centered around catholism (e.g. R.E. or going to church). Btw I respect the religion and people who follow it 😊😊
Reply 1
I went to St Doms, left there in 2015. The religion aspect is minimal. Literally no one cares. You have to do RE once a week I think? But it was actually kinda fun and wasn't tested so no pressure. You also got to talk/meet with new people outside of your normal classes.

There are tons of people there who aren't catholic. A lot of their required catholic intake comes from the two feeder schools, and a lot of those people are already friends before they arrive at St Doms. This leaves a ton (80%+) of people who don't know anyone at all, and most of them aren't catholic.

St Doms was amazing. People are fun, teachers are great, students are clever, the sports department were amazing when I was there, literally the most fun part was playing badminton/table tennis or whatever.

100% choose St Doms if you can. I moved to St Doms with just 1 other person (but I didn't hang out with them much, I was basically completely alone like most people are), leaving behind most of my friends. It was the best decision I ever made. Two easiest and most comfortable years of my life (I got triple A*s, as did a lot of my friends).

Plus Mill Hill is a school. St Doms is a college. You get a lot of respect from the teachers at St Doms, they treat you like a student not a pupil.

Original post by Gfhfnxrj
I got accepted to both mill hill county and st Dominics, but which should I go to? Obviously st doms produces the better result but it is a primarily Catholic school and as a person of a different faith from Christianity it may be a little off putting. If anyone went to st doms was there a lot of stuff that you had to do centered around catholism (e.g. R.E. or going to church). Btw I respect the religion and people who follow it 😊😊
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
I went to St Doms, left there in 2015. The religion aspect is minimal. Literally no one cares. You have to do RE once a week I think? But it was actually kinda fun and wasn't tested so no pressure. You also got to talk/meet with new people outside of your normal classes.

There are tons of people there who aren't catholic. A lot of their required catholic intake comes from the two feeder schools, and a lot of those people are already friends before they arrive at St Doms. This leaves a ton (80%+) of people who don't know anyone at all, and most of them aren't catholic.

St Doms was amazing. People are fun, teachers are great, students are clever, the sports department were amazing when I was there, literally the most fun part was playing badminton/table tennis or whatever.

100% choose St Doms if you can. I moved to St Doms with just 1 other person (but I didn't hang out with them much, I was basically completely alone like most people are), leaving behind most of my friends. It was the best decision I ever made. Two easiest and most comfortable years of my life (I got triple A*s, as did a lot of my friends).

Plus Mill Hill is a school. St Doms is a college. You get a lot of respect from the teachers at St Doms, they treat you like a student not a pupil.

Thanks a lot man for the reassurance, that helps a lot. I'm currently in a similar situation as you were, about 3 people going to st doms with me, the fact that there aren't really any primarily catholic lessons does help, and the fact that you got 3 A*s just further motivates me. Thanks for the reply I think I made up my mind. Btw did you get into oxbridge, and how many people made it in to it
I went to St Doms a few years ago & my sister just left there last year. We are Catholic but there isn't much religion and I think around 50% of students and lots of the staff are non-Catholic. You have to do an hour a week RE in the first year, but it's mainly things like ethical discussions/citizenship/learning about different beliefs, not about Catholicism. There are religious activities if you want to take part but most people don't. They are very respectful of different cultures and religions and the staff treat all the students like adults - it is a nice, friendly place to be. Also agree with Dylann that it's easy to make friends as most people are new. Really don't be put off by the catholicism, you will love it there.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot man for the reassurance, that helps a lot. I'm currently in a similar situation as you were, about 3 people going to st doms with me, the fact that there aren't really any primarily catholic lessons does help, and the fact that you got 3 A*s just further motivates me. Thanks for the reply I think I made up my mind. Btw did you get into oxbridge, and how many people made it in to it

no i didnt apply for oxbridge, but there were a decent amount of people who did. if you got nice gcse's and don't mess up in your first year, you should have a good shot at oxbridge depending on interviews etc. the college has really good oxbridge preparation and stuff and they give good and accurate predictions (you had to get 85% in 1st year to get A* prediction for most subjects). I went to durham in the end to study chemistry.

yeah i only had 1 friend go with me, and i lived in barnet so it was a 1 hour bus journey each day (i didnt mind really, slept most of the time).

and yep just to further reconfirm @ geogeoargh's reply, literally catholicism is extremely minimal. I went to 1 mass service in 2 years i think (it was actually quite relaxing). RE was just discussing moral stuff or learning about other religions. all the students are mature and "tryhard" (people dont really misbehave) so lessons go smoothly and efficiently.

definitely do it my friend, you won't regret it. even if you find it difficult for the first few weeks (some people do), just give it time and it will all work out.

I recommend St Dom's even though I've never heard of it.
I'm going St Doms next year so I recommend that... xd

I just got accepted:smile::smile: and I've heard it's a great school!!
What are you planning to do next year?

I go mill hill county and in year 12, its better and the teachers focus on you more
Original post by Dylann

Hey I was wondering about the RE lessons a week . Is it like students just sit together and everyone discuses their religion or something like that ?
Reply 10
Original post by Iz_ahmed_Zi
Hey I was wondering about the RE lessons a week . Is it like students just sit together and everyone discuses their religion or something like that ?

Hi there, I'm the thread starter and I finished studying at doms a year ago. The RE lesson is really more like a PSHCE class in GCSE, for the most part, a lot of the RE lessons is more about morality. Occasionally there are one or two lessons to do with religion, but other than that it's pretty chill.
I am thinking of going to st dominics, and im thinking of doing psychology, biology and econ there. However, I'm not sure how the teachers will be at teaching so does anyone have any reviews? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending