The Student Room Group

8.9 earthquake in Indonesia, tsunami warnings issued for Indian Ocean

Seems to be breaking news right now.

My dad was just waiting in Phuket airport, Thailand when the tsunami warning came on a few minutes ago and they had emergency boarding and got on the plane immediately.

Powerful magnitude :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's something

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17675399

and apparently it's been revised down to 8.7.
Reply 2
US Geological survey says Tsunami "unlikely".
Original post by Aramiss18

Everyone else seems to be issuing tsunami warnings though..
Reply 4
Supposedly Phuket, Thailand will be affected in under 3 hours.
Hope it doesn't turn out bad. :frown:

EDIT:

For those interested in the first report issued, it is here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by berryripple
Seems to be breaking news right now.

My dad was just waiting in Phuket airport, Thailand when the tsunami warning came on a few minutes ago and they had emergency boarding and got on the plane immediately.

Powerful magnitude :frown:

thank goodness for that :smile:
Reply 7
And thank goodness for the warning system.
Reply 8
I am in burma now, i felt the earthquake!
people felt it slightly in sri lanka as well
Reply 10
Hopefully the resulting waves will not reach tsunami level. The 2004 tsunami was horrendous.
I'm kinda worried now, as I've got friends there at the moment.
Reply 12
Hopefully everything turns out ok for the people who live there. David Cameron is visiting too, so I wonder what'll happen with him coming back.
Reply 13
Original post by Aramiss18

Signs of one approaching Thailand - receding water etc.
Reply 14
I just felt it here in Chennai! :O Was writing an exam. That was some scary s h i t!
In the country right now, but on another island and did not feel it - hope another tragedy like the Boxing Day tsunami will not happen again :frown:
Reply 16
The BBC have reported that the magnitude has been downgraded to an 8.6 by the USGS. The aftershock was powerful - 8.3.
Reply 17
Aftershocks of 8.3 and 8.8 according to reuters.

Aftershocks?
Reply 18
Thankfully the tsunami alert has been lifted in Aceh, India and Sri Lanka. Hopefully it'll settle down without becoming a major disaster. [Source: BBC]
Reply 19
It seems that the warning systems in place by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre were effective in getting people to high land and away from buildings. The warning systems were put in place after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami because this tragic disaster highlighted their importance, showing that we have learnt something from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending