The Student Room Group

can i do the ukcat even though i have a medicine offer??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I see no reason why you couldn't, your UKCAT score and details will be stored by Pearson Vue until universities retrieve it after the UCAS deadline. If you decide to take your offer it'll just be a case of no universities retrieving your score, but no universities you've applied to this year will know, and even if they did they couldn't retract an offer.

But seriously, i can't for the life of me think why you're even considering this option. Applying for medicine this year must have been one of the most, if not the most, stressful experience I have ever been through. It's so drawn out and you're constantly left hanging, knowing that at any point you could be rejected by the smallest of margins. You say you have a strong application apart from your UKCAT this year, even with a higher UKCAT next year you may come out with 4 rejections. Surely you must have realised the extent to which applying for medicine is like a lucky dip? I have a friend that has better grades, more work experience, a similar UKCAT and an impressive personal statement. She was rejected by all 4 pre-interview while I have 3 offers; if we applied next year who's to say that these roles wouldn't be reversed?

So yes you can, but you'd be taking an incredible risk and wasting a huge opportunity.
How much you wanna bet OP is Asian and rejects an offer so he can apply to a better uni next year?
Yes OP it is possible. If you really want to, then go for it.
Reply 23
OP, you're an idiot.

Ask your university how many applications they received this year, then think carefully about whether you want to put yourself through all the stress and competition of a medical application again. It's not just the UKCAT you'll have to sit again - you'll have to re-write your PS, get a new (and better) reference and find some other ways of making your application better than the last in order to keep up with the rising competition and higher standards of medical applicants.

The universities you want to apply for - are they really worth all that stress? You've got an offer for Medicine, one of the hardest courses to get into (and I speak from experience). Stop thinking about other universities and be happy with what you've got - I know there are plenty of people who would give their right arm to have your offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by razzler
I have a medicine offer at a university i dont particularly want to go to. I was wondering if i firm it can i drop out last minute in september or on results day? also can i do a ukcat exam in the mean time. because if i get a high score im thinking i might take a gap year and re-apply. if i can do the ukcat before rejecting my offer it eliminates a lot of the risk because apart from my ukcat score i have quite a strong application. but if i cant do that i think il just take my offer and go to this university.

Surely if you re-applied, the universities would take a very hard look at why you turned down a place to do medicine? I mean, if you really want to do medicine, you shouldn't mind where you do it, especially as it's so competitive (as you know from your 3 other rejections.)

Also, just out of interest, what university is your offer from? Do you not like the teaching style? And what university would you rather go to? I hope you know that when you apply for you FY1 job they don't see what university you went to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm going to ask the million dollar question(s), which university and why? :biggrin:
Original post by Mero8
I'm going to ask the million dollar question(s), which university and why? :biggrin:

From what I've read in the thread, it seems to be brighton and sussex medical school, which I think is a really underrated medical school (I didn't apply, but I really liked the format of course they portrayed).

OP, if your desire to go to a particular medical school outweighs your desire to do medicine you need to reassess your motivations. Waiting a year and rolling the dice on another application when you have an offer for medicine seems bizarre.
Reply 27
One of the doctors I worked with on work experience said about FY1 doctors, there are two types:
1.) Those who know nothing and can't think
2.) Those who know nothing but can think

At the end of the day, I think you need a course that will excite you and motivate you to keep learning and will really make you think and become one of those FY1 Doctors who did their degree with passion. I went for PBL because that would motivate me to learn and I know others that feel the same, and there are others who are motivated by a really brilliant lecturer who is passionate.

If you picked BSMS, you clearly liked something about the course/teaching methods and I think if you look beyond that for whatever reason you are making a mistake (unless you absolutely could't bear living there)!
(edited 12 years ago)
I hope you drop out and get four rejections next year. Just kidding seriously take a good hard look at yourself and ask yourself why you would sacrifice a year of your life and take a massive gamble to go a uni which will not give you any more prospects that the one you hold an offer for. For me I'm applying strategically next October because I want to be a doctor more than I've ever wanted anything and I would never sacrifice that chance to be a little more comfortable at uni. I hope you realise how petty you're being because I would be over the moon if I held an offer.
Reply 29
Original post by Hippokrates
I hope you drop out and get four rejections next year. Just kidding seriously take a good hard look at yourself and ask yourself why you would sacrifice a year of your life and take a massive gamble to go a uni which will not give you any more prospects that the one you hold an offer for. For me I'm applying strategically next October because I want to be a doctor more than I've ever wanted anything and I would never sacrifice that chance to be a little more comfortable at uni. I hope you realise how petty you're being because I would be over the moon if I held an offer.

Hey, if you need any help PM me and I'd love to. I'm no expert myself obviously but I have done quite a lot of reading over the past year on applying and have made mistakes in my own uni selections but luckily some good selections too! :smile:

Yeah OP, life is precious. I agree with Hippokrates Don't waste a year because you wanted a piece of paper that says UCL at the top instead of BSMS!
Reply 30
you can, but chances are very slim to get into medicine.. so decide carefully. the likelihood of getting 4 rejections is high...... what then?

how are you so confident it'll work out btw? do you currently have all 4 offers? :smile: Even if you do get offers next year, think about it the chances of it being the uni of your choice is reaaaally rare!
Reply 31
This thread angers me. Here is why:

1) On prestige grounds, BSMS is not bad at all;the complete university guide placed it 21st out of 29 medical schools this year. I'm not that naive in realising that league tables are not completely true, but if it's outranking well established universities like St Andrews and Nottingham, it must be doing something right.
2) Your stance is insulting to medicine rejects. I have 2 friends who attained all A grades, and put in so much time volunteering to make their personal statements look as good as they could. They got rejected from all of their choices, and now have to settle for biomedicine, which I know that secretly they don't want to do. You have an offer for medicine. Thousands apply and get rejected, you should just be happy with what you have.
Plus wan't BSMS rated the best university in the country by the student satisfaction survey?
Just be happy and accept your offer - it may not be that easy next time round.
Well your deffinetly up there for 'crazy op of the week'.

Im worried you think 'if i can get one offer now i can get one later', this isnt true. 21,000 apply 7,000 get offers, that isnt just because the 7000 are amazing, its also because of luck.

You were lucky to get an offer at all, so was i, so were alot of people. If you dont want it decline, and make someone on the waiting list lucky.
Reply 35
This is another reason why medicine should be graduate entrance.
If your actually thinking that you should apply again even with a place so you even know what medicine entails? or even passionate about doing it? because from the tone of your post you seem to be doing it not for the right reasons.

Get some experience and passion then reapply if you want too...
Original post by Elwyn
Can't understand for the life of me what goes through peoples heads sometimes.

what? the guy doesn't like the location where he'll be living for 5 years, is it that hard to understand this problem?
Original post by Hippokrates

Why do people often advise others that if they're not happy with where they're going to, that they should not force themselves to go there (even oxbridge) and stay for x number of years (the duration of the course), but when it comes to medicine, all hell breaks loose and the OP is instantly villified for throwing away an offer. :confused:
Reply 38
Original post by internet tough guy
what? the guy doesn't like the location where he'll be living for 5 years, is it that hard to understand this problem?

He hasn't actually said that, has he?
Original post by Mero8
He hasn't actually said that, has he?

''I have a medicine offer at a university i dont particularly want to go to''

Either he's referring to its location, or the uni itself. Regardless, if it is the latter, I don't think its too hard to understand the problem with not liking a place that you'll be going to everyday for the next 5 years or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending