The Student Room Group

18 pregnant and want to go UNI!

Scroll to see replies

There are a few girls on my course who had children young and are studying full-time, but they often say they have trouble with childcare arrangements (either the cost or ability to get someone flexible enough to look after the child while they are in lectures) so I would strongly suggest you postpone your studies until you know for sure you can arrange a stable environment for your baby before going off to uni. A degree alone is hard work, never mind caring for a new born!

In terms of how long you will be in uni from day-to-day it varies depending on the uni, but I'm studying Psychology full-time and for my first year I was in 3 days a week, the latest finish being 6pm.
Original post by ITGIRL
Yes Love, university is extremely easy and you will cope just fine. :confused: Is this what you want people to say?

Are you even in the correct mind state cause you seem like you're incapable of thinking rationally.

Of course I'm not suggesting it is not impossible, of course their is a 1% chance. However if you are going to lower tier university then you might actually find more people like you....

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....

EDIT: Why neg me? My opinion is justified would you prefer i say she should have abortion???

EDIT2: SHE IS GOING TO FAIL LIFE! It is not like i'm saying this?? I mean come on people decision like this need to be thought out , you can't have this expectation you can carry on life as normal... Even smart girls take time out (but also take the pill).. :laugh:

Could you possibly be any more judgemental and condescending? You don't know what you're talking about, inventing probabilities off the top of your head to try and prove a point, and you wonder why so many disagree with you? Plenty of people have children young, that doesn't mean they are destined for a "lower tier" university as you put it. Having children young =/= inability to go to a top university, as long as you have the resources to secure a stable environment for the child.
Reply 242
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Could you possibly be any more judgemental and condescending? You don't know what you're talking about, inventing probabilities off the top of your head to try and prove a point, and you wonder why so many disagree with you? Plenty of people have children young, that doesn't mean they are destined for a "lower tier" university as you put it. Having children young =/= inability to go to a top university, as long as you have the resources to secure a stable environment for the child.

No people don't disagree with me they just don't like the turth. Life is like that, people like you have this misconception in life, that life is easy. Grow the hell up. I just don't understand how people like you can aruge facts. Say for example, if a girl was having twins and had offer for oxford. Your opinion would be like you should sooooo go to university. :laugh: The UK is truely filled with idealist. Please once you start being realistic we can actually have a fair debate.
(edited 12 years ago)
I took a year out when I had my son. And going back to uni was hard. It really is. You need the right support network and you need to be focused. If it's a subject you really want to do and you have help then go for it. But take a year out. A newborn and uni is a killer. i'm struggling with a toddler!
Get an Abortion?
Original post by ITGIRL
No people don't disagree with me they just don't like the turth. Life is like that, people like you have this misconception in life, that life is easy. Grow the hell up. I just don't understand how people like you can aruge facts. Say for example, if a girl was having twins and had offer for oxford. Your opinion would be like you should sooooo go to university. :laugh: The UK is truely filled with idealist. Please once you start being realistic we can actually have a fair debate.

Haha are you for real?

Life sure isn't easy, but just because you have a child young doesn't mean you are automatically going to be destined for a lower ranked university, that's just stupid. Universities don't use the number of children you have as an entry requirement, and many have accommodation tailored towards students with young children, so it's not exactly out of the question to go to university and look after a child, as many people on this thread have stated.

I never once said the OP should go to university straight away, I said they should take a year out at least to prepare a stable environment for the child. (I refer you to the post above the one I quoted you in). But since you clearly haven't read and understood what I've written what's the point in even discussing things further?

Ignorant people like you ought to just keep quiet if you have nothing constructive to say, the thread was about what the OP should do and all you've done is criticise without suggesting anything suitable for her. If anyone should grow up, it's you.

Edit: You're 22 years old? Yeah, I'd like to emphasise my point about you needing to grow up.
(edited 12 years ago)
I would agree with the majority on here. Spend time with your baby, they are only young once and it would put more stress and demand on you! (They grow up so fast) A girl I know has recently had a baby and without any extra stess she's tired all the time. Either postphone your studies for a year or find out about studying part-time and the opportunities there. Don't forget to factor in childcare costs and some universities do have nurseries for student's children, so explore those options too. Have a look at universities closer to home as well if you've opted for one which demands you move out of the parental home. You might want to think about perhaps moving in with the child's father instead or live at home so your parents are around to help with the baby, if you opt for any kind of study. Good luck, hope everything goes okay and the way you want it to :smile:
Reply 247
I did it but and my baby was born end of January in my first year. I don't have a husband or a partner & her father is rubbish. I cannot put into words how hard it is & it will effect your grades, but I did it & I'm very happy I did

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending