The Student Room Group

pregnant

im nearly 19 and due to start uni in september and found out im pregnant. I want to keep the baby but not sure how people raise a baby in uni? My boyfriend will also being going to uni but a different one so wont be around all the time. Anyone experienced this? The baby is due in March so most of 1st year will be over. im just not sure how 2nd and 3rd would look.
Reply 1
Original post by darciemay64
im nearly 19 and due to start uni in september and found out im pregnant. I want to keep the baby but not sure how people raise a baby in uni? My boyfriend will also being going to uni but a different one so wont be around all the time. Anyone experienced this? The baby is due in March so most of 1st year will be over. im just not sure how 2nd and 3rd would look.

Did you not use any contraception
You'd be better off deferring entry. University is highly stressful and stress can negatively impact pregnancy. If you contact the university about deferring entry they will likely be willing to change your entry date to September 2024.
Hey, mybestfriend was 19 when she got pregnant and made the decision to have a gap yr for uni whilst she raised her daughter. It meant she could focus onher studies without feeling guilty about her baby at home but also meantthat she wasn't leavingher baby in a time where shes was vulnerable and reliant on her momma. Year one you typically only do betwen 20-30 hours of lecture time so she found whilsther baby wasbecoming a 1yrold it worked for her to go to uni the September theyear after her babywas born (also in march) It mean bythetimeshe was doing the most important years of uni her daughter will be turning 3 x
Well, it may be hard to raise a baby while you are at uni. Therefore, I think you should ask for the help from your parents and your boyfriend's parents.
Reply 5
Original post by Miss Jess

u do realise contraception isnt 100% what kind of question is that
personally, as a student entering their third year of university, it is extremely stressful with multiple deadlines and the things you have to learn as well as around 20 hours of independent study each week.
i'd strongly advise you to defer this year and not go university, even for about 2 years if you're due in march.
it will get too much for you raising a newborn and doing university work.
good luck though with whatever you choose to do!

It might be best to come back to uni at a later date. Or you could complete the first year and defer the second and third. There are many women who complete uni whilst being mothers, even to newborns. It might be easier for you to study with a distance learning university as you can study for home. It's not practical to bring a newborn to university lectures.
Reply 8
Take stock, get advice from SU, take a bit of time to decide what you’re going to do

Hi!

First of all I want to congratulate you and there isn’t anything you should be massively worried about. If you live near the uni you’d only be gone for a few hours at a time and if you have someone that could watch the baby whilst you’re at lectures it would be great. There’s also support from universities so don’t feel like you’re the only one in this situation! I hope everything goes well :smile:
Reply 10

it wouldn't work. the amount of work you'll have to manage, plus raising a baby, will be too much stress. I'm sure it's worked for some people, but I wouldn't risk it. I would just defer your entry a few years. Okay, you'll miss out being with people who are more your age, but at least the newborn will have the care, attention and support it needs without uni distractions.

I'm all for people having kids, but in the right context, time and moment. Sadly you'll miss any opportunity for freshers, friends, societies and general uni life as a result of this.

One of the girls I've got pregnant was about to start uni. She deferred and it's worked out well for her.
Reply 12
What support do you expect to have around you will be the biggest question.
Will parents help out looking after the baby?
What about the fathers family support?

Have you considered an Open Uni Course so you can be home with the baby?

Have you financial support to survive with the baby?
Uni loans all come with mounting interest.

Reach out and get support where ever you are, speak to GP for referral to people who help in this situation.

Most of all dont make any decisions until it all becomes clear in your head.
Also speak to the Uni you are going to join in September and see what they advise,an email will do as well if you dont want to talk to them.

Remember its YOUR LIFE, YOUR CHOICE whatever decision you make.
Original post by Ni Ni
Oh gosh this would be my worst nightmare, my friend who got pregnant dropped out completely

I understand that you might not have meant to upset the original poster- but saying stuff like this doesn’t help. Unless you have advice I don’t see why you’d a make a comment like that.

It can fail no contraception protects you from pregnancy
Why do women want to have it all these days??? It's ridiculous. Choose one thing be good at it and go with that. OP the baby is 100 percent your and your partner's responsibility no one else, if your partner is not present then it is 100 percent your responsibility.

If the Uni course is worth anything it will be hard to do otherwise anyone can do it and it's not worth anything. Lecture times may be part time but the rest of the time is supposed to be self study and coursework time. I would say put aside any notion of an ego trip of trying to achieve both and concentrate on your baby for it's sake and just drop Uni.

How is that helpful
Original post by Anonymous #6
How is that helpful

The question, I mean. Not contraception, I know why that's helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending