The Student Room Group

What cities have as good/better nightlife than manchester with similar population?

Scroll to see replies

Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds would be my options. Maybe Liverpool if you can put up with the accent.

Seen Sheffield mentioned a few times, and whilst its a great city with a large student population it has a very small city centre in comparison to the other cities mentioned.
Reply 21
The accent tbh. Like liverpool accent being a deterrent. I actually can stomach the lpool accent a bit more now since ive lived next door for so long but lpool is too small methinks and still horrible compared to the lovely northern accent.

Manc I loved the accent but I've staled out this city now. I went to leeds right after writing my other post, just got back, and its pretty much the same accent imo with a bit less 'ere yar' and a bit more 'ey oop'. I love the northern accent on girls and this is the main point of interest in any city I go to.

Walking through leeds city centre i see its much larger than manc city centre- manc being smaller than nearly any other city centre anyway- which id forgotten. Its funny how small manc city centre (in terms of the shopping bit) is given its size its basically just one st, market st. One busy 'thoroughfare' from the station to market st.

To me leeds was busy but with a chilled out vibe to it given the more spread out nature. It actually reminded me of london picadilly over a bit where the gardens and the old political buildings are where it curves around if I have the names right.

Pretty good day out and made me more apt to live there now. My lease comes up end of june in my apartment in manc. I was gonna get another 6 months before moving but I think Im just gonna bounce over in july now.

I was a really lazy bastard before never budgining from manc unless absolutely necessary thinking all cities the same but its given me a bit of a new appreciation now of different vibes cities have and interested in sniffing out others in future if just for a day out perhaps.

Think Ill give bham a punt sometime soon tho I am pretty sold on leeds now. bham has the size as its bonus but the accent Im ambivalent about.

Original post by River85
Out of interest, what is it about Newcastle that doesn't interest you? This isn't to say Leeds isn't equally as good a choice and it is your choice in the end, I'm just curious as it is well rated for its nighlife and probably offers the best in terms of cost of living (though accomodation in areas like Jesmond is getting more and more expensive).
Original post by Harambulus
The accent tbh. Like liverpool accent being a deterrent. I actually can stomach the lpool accent a bit more now since ive lived next door for so long but lpool is too small methinks and still horrible compared to the lovely northern accent.

Manc I loved the accent but I've staled out this city now. I went to leeds right after writing my other post, just got back, and its pretty much the same accent imo with a bit less 'ere yar' and a bit more 'ey oop'. I love the northern accent on girls and this is the main point of interest in any city I go to.

Walking through leeds city centre i see its much larger than manc city centre- manc being smaller than nearly any other city centre anyway- which id forgotten. Its funny how small manc city centre (in terms of the shopping bit) is given its size its basically just one st, market st. One busy 'thoroughfare' from the station to market st.

To me leeds was busy but with a chilled out vibe to it given the more spread out nature. It actually reminded me of london picadilly over a bit where the gardens and the old political buildings are where it curves around if I have the names right.

Pretty good day out and made me more apt to live there now. My lease comes up end of june in my apartment in manc. I was gonna get another 6 months before moving but I think Im just gonna bounce over in july now.

I was a really lazy bastard before never budgining from manc unless absolutely necessary thinking all cities the same but its given me a bit of a new appreciation now of different vibes cities have and interested in sniffing out others in future if just for a day out perhaps.

Think Ill give bham a punt sometime soon tho I am pretty sold on leeds now. bham has the size as its bonus but the accent Im ambivalent about.

If you like the manc accent then you shouldn't find it too hard stomaching us brummies.
Reply 23
Original post by Harambulus
The accent tbh.

It does tend to be the most loved accents (one reason why many call centres have been relocated to Newcastle as the accent is said to be warm and friendly) but also still disliked by quite a number. Like Marmite!

Though not everyone has a strong Geordie accent. Most don't (if they did, I wouldn't live near there as I have to admit that I don't like a particularly strong Geordie accent). Plus more people from Newcastle University are from the south or don't have a regional accent (it having quite a Rah reputation in recent years).

Ah well, hope you enjoy Leeds should you move there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending