The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

universities similar to Manchester

Hey, I want to apply to Manchester next year but I also need some backup unis. I was wondering if anyone knows similar unis to Manchester? be it diversity-wise, grade requirements-wise and overall big/popular if that makes sense
Original post by tedo
Hey, I want to apply to Manchester next year but I also need some backup unis. I was wondering if anyone knows similar unis to Manchester? be it diversity-wise, grade requirements-wise and overall big/popular if that makes sense

What course would you like to study?
No point recommending unis if they don't offer what you are after
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Computer science

Original post by 04MR17
What course would you like to study?
No point recommending unis if they don't offer what you are after
Original post by tedo
Computer science

Newcastle, Bristol, Southampton, Cardiff are all quite similar to Manchester I'd say.

You should also look into Liverpool and Birmingham, while I expect they would I haven't checked that they have CompSci courses.

There are LOADS of unis to choose from for CompSci, my advice to you is to apply to five courses that have a range of entry criteria. Otherwise you get a bit stuck when you end up getting 5 uni offers all at AAB (for example).
Why Manchester? What is it that you like about it?

Which ones have you visited and liked? It amazing how different Unis can feel, some are just right and other not so much - and its very personal

And don't underestimate how much the module choices can vary, which ones do you really like the look of?

And then there are placements, assuming you are going to Uni to kick start a career, 1 year of work experience will make a massive difference to your employability (and likely improve your final year grades). Which Unis are best placed to get good placement years?

I studied at Manchester (and work there sometimes) its an amazing city with the campus right in the thick of things, it feels a bit like a London based Uni only better

When I was helping my eldest pick her Unis she had 5 quite different choices - a stretch, a target, a safety net and 2x wild card choices
Reply 5
I'd say more competitive options that are similar to Manchester would be: UCL, University of Edinburgh, University of Warwick

Some safer options might be: University of Bristol, University of Birmingham, University of Southampton

I've also heard St. Andrews is pretty decent with CS, but I don't know too much about it.
Hard to tell! In what sense? Research and Student support at UoM is extremely good, but the course is pretty intense.
I can't advise on nightlife or other social events....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending