The Student Room Group

Should I let him have my revision notes?

Scroll to see replies

Yes

But first of all make him answer three highly arcane riddles for them
Reply 61
I know it can be realllly annoying sometimes, but I used to just send them, of course expecting something in return. I would ask them for their notes when I needed them and vice versa
Dude cmon. He's your friend, what sort of person doesn't want to help their friends, regardless of the situation.

Although tell him writing revision notes, while used to revise from, are essentially a way of revising which is more efficient than just reading them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Miracle Day
My friend just sent me an email asking me for my revision notes for History. But I'm not sure whether to give them to him or not. I'm not stingy by any means, infact I'm always the first to share but I don't feel like I should in this circumstance.

I've worked extremely hard on creating this booklet for my personal revision, it took me ages and I don't feel like I should just give it to him to use if you get what I mean? He's really lazy, and I know if I give him them he'll want all my notes for my other subjects.

Oh I'll also add one of my closest friends. And during the January exams he slacked, and I worked hard and during the exam I ended up losing time and not being able to answer a fifth of the paper and so ended up with like 5 ums above him although the same grade. I give him all my resources for that exam, and after we got our results he jokes "lol all the revision you did, and we got the same grade" etc which was rather annoying and the fact my work never payed off has probably demotivated me hugely.

I just don't feel like I should give them to him :s-smilie:

hey, listen to your instincts. Why should someone get the same grade as you by not working hard. Just tell them that they wont be able to understand them and you're still using them now so that they realise you're not a pushover, cos u go to school for yourself not to help others get the best grade ever with your own work. I was thinking about this dilemma and i've decided not to give them my notes. Dont worry about what people think of u. I think its better to give notes if u know you'll get something in return. Its cruel but true.
Reply 64
I wouldnt. Let the lazy ****er do his own work.

though im in the same situation as i recently dropped out of english and my mate who hasnt done any of her cw wants me to give her my cw rofl ;p will probly give it to her anyway cuz im nice ;p
The irony is that a lot of those kinds of people that tend to ask for other people's notes tend to revise quite a bit themselves, they just want an additional revision resource thats 'unique' in a way. May or may not be the case here.
My friend just sent me an email asking me for my revision notes for History. But I'm not sure whether to give them to him or not. I'm not stingy by any means, infact I'm always the first to share but I don't feel like I should in this circumstance

if you don't wanna help then um
tell him you don't make notes anymore as it doesn't help you and you just do past papers?

p.s can i have your history notes :daydreaming:
If it was one of my closest friends, I'd do it.
Reply 68
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he has done favours for you in the past, might as well share them. If not, **** him! Although I'm presuming the former applies here.
Reply 69
My friend just sent me an email asking me for my revision notes for History. But I'm not sure whether to give them to him or not. I'm not stingy by any means, infact I'm always the first to share but I don't feel like I should in this circumstance.

I've worked extremely hard on creating this booklet for my personal revision, it took me ages and I don't feel like I should just give it to him to use if you get what I mean? He's really lazy, and I know if I give him them he'll want all my notes for my other subjects.

Oh I'll also add one of my closest friends. And during the January exams he slacked, and I worked hard and during the exam I ended up losing time and not being able to answer a fifth of the paper and so ended up with like 5 ums above him although the same grade. I give him all my resources for that exam, and after we got our results he jokes "lol all the revision you did, and we got the same grade" etc which was rather annoying and the fact my work never payed off has probably demotivated me hugely.

Make a sub standard version of the notes you have, cut out a few sections etc, then give it to him, say its incomplete and let him see you've made bad notes. Then he probably wont ask again.

Don't, I know it sounds so bad and you feel like you're abandoning your friend, but he needs to do some work himself, he sounds like a right lazy sod. You've worked hard and so should he, loll sorry that p*ssed me off with his "lol all the revision you did, and we got the same grade" noooo, at least appreciate it. Leave him, let him get his own grade. Good luck on your exam!
Reply 71
Original post by LoveLoveLove16
Don't, I know it sounds so bad and you feel like you're abandoning your friend, but he needs to do some work himself, he sounds like a right lazy sod. You've worked hard and so should he, loll sorry that p*ssed me off with his "lol all the revision you did, and we got the same grade" noooo, at least appreciate it. Leave him, let him get his own grade. Good luck on your exam!

I'm inclined to agree with this.

He needs to stop being lazy and get off his ass and do his own thing: how will he survive later in life, where he won't be dependant on anyone but himself?
Original post by Hot Sauce
I think a lot of people saying that you're stingy and need to share are missing the point. What's HE doing for you?

I'm fortunate none of my friends nor I think so selfishly.

Although, let's say you have a point. OP, who says your friend has to repay you academically? Have him do something for you in the real world: pay your cinema ticket for you; buy you a drink or two; secure you your next fix. You hear what I'm saying? If you're the sort of person who thinks an eye for an eye, then trade your notes for a favour. I've done that a few times when I've gone out of my way to help somebody.
And, if this whole sharing thing is this much of a problem for you, remember in the future to not tell people you've made revision resources. If I was your friend, and you refused to lend me your notes, I would rethink our friendship.
While I'm here.

Original post by f1mad
I'm inclined to agree with this.

He needs to stop being lazy and get off his ass and do his own thing: how will he survive later in life, where he won't be dependant on anyone but himself?

The hard work is learning the material, not reading the booklet. The booklet will not make him an instantaneous history-wiz. OP was smart enough to create the resource instead of find it, so he's learned a lot through the process of making the booklet. Learning and interpreting a booklet he hasn't seen before, however, will take some time - admittedly not as much time as OP invested in creating the booklet, but a while nonetheless.
Reply 75
Original post by Dippy Dip

You seem to be missing the point. OP went through the initial hard-work of creating revision notes. If he gives those away, his friend won't have to suffer through that.

You seem to have made the point in the end :yy:.
I suppose you could just keep 'forgetting' to bring it to give to him. By the time you remember (2 days before the exam) it'll be too late for him to revise much anyway.

You don't feel used, and you still look like a good friend. Sorted! Still a pretty bitchy thing to do though...
Reply 77
personally i wouldnt, why give a lazy so so your revision notes you worked your ass off for? couple of apt says; lessons best learned are those learned in blood after all, they that sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind ... i.e. his fault for not revising now he's going to regret it, especially as he rubbed it in your face last time!
I never just hand over notes to a friend (except in one circumstance and that was pretty dire) but what I will do is let them have a look through, see how I lay stuff out. Or suggest that you meet up for a revision session, I find they help both sides! I have let people copy (by hand) my revision notes or what they found useful from them and even sat and written essay plans and revision notes with other people. But there is no reason you should hand over your notes, sometimes I get an idea so good, I just don't want to share it with anyone but the examiner! And aside from that he needs to stop coasting!
Reply 79
I was in a similar situation to you. My friend didn't do the best that she could have in her AS exams last year and when she came around to resitting I let her use my revision notes- she ended up going from a D grade to an A. I felt so proud because I knew it was kinda my hard work that let her so it :smile: I know it's not the same but if he is your friend, just think about your friendship. You don't have to give him everything, maybe just a few to push him in the right direction and get him started?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending