The Student Room Group

EdExcel -- A2 -- Drama & Theatre Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gemnomnom
Haha I really need to do a mock. I might ask to do one on Monday. We have study leave but our drama class are going to come in!

I've revised Section A by making a long list of rehearsal techniques (see a few posts above), looking at mark schemes and doing past paper questions.

I'll revise Section B for annotating my script entirely.

Section C: write up my 1k words and then try a past paper question

You?

Yes, thank you so much for that long list! It sounds we have a similar revision technique :smile:!! xx
Reply 81
Original post by xTurninggMySwagOnx
I am struggling with Section A, because the questions seem really similar about the rehearsal techniques? :/

For example, (Lysistrata)

Consider three appropriate rehearsal techniques you might use to explore the relationship between Cinesias and Myrrhine in this extract

Explain to your performers how you intend to work on exploring the relationship between Cinesias and Myrrhine in this extract, giving reasons for your approach, supported by clear examples.

This is probably just me being stupid but, I can see that for the first one obviously it is writing about rehearsal techniques and evaluating them? but what would you do for the last one?! Or is that the question where you evaluate the techniques? Help I'm confused!

Okay, so Section A is focused on rehearsal: so it is vital that you discuss the rehearsal process for each question. The difference for the number of rehearsal techniques you mention goes like this:

a) Give two examples of rehearsal techniques and reasons why you would choose them (e.g. what would the cast gain from it and then what might an audience gain from it)
b) Give three examples, and repeat as above
c) There is no specified number of rehearsal technique examples you must discuss here, but the examiners' reports seem to suggest two to three in depth discussions are needed. Here is what I have taken from there:

-- More detail is required in part c) than part b)
-- The techniques must be appropriate
-- Indicate understanding of the purpose and intent of the rehearsal.
-- Avoid: discussing the areas of performance or just listing rehearsal ideas.

Timings for Section A
4 marks = 8 mins
6 marks = 12 mins
10 marks = 20 mins

HTH
Reply 82

Anyone got a 2009 past paper?

The exam has only been going since 2010 :smile:

(Well, 2009, but obviously that means the first Unit 4 was sat in Summer 2010)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
Hey does anyone know any original stage conditions for lysistrata?
Reply 84
Can anyone help me on the relationship between Lysistrata and Calonice? I'm trying to answer a question on rehearsal techniques to outline their relationship at the start of the extract!

Well, Calonice is fairly relaxed in comparison to Lysistrata, so you could do an animalisation technique: Calonice as a cat, relaxed, laid-back etc, and Lysistrata as a lion (?), strong, brave, fierce. You could then compare how these impact non-verbal communication and how this, in turn, presents differences between the two to the audience.

You could also use a rope exercise, and experiment with how the rope gets longer/shorter throughout the extract. Or perhaps a ladder exercise to show Lysistrata's increasing influence and superiority.

You could use Lecoq's emotion movement in which the actors use a stick and push each other around the space as they say their lines, experimenting with how different paces create a different impact of the lines. e.g. by walking fast, Lysistrata will show her determination and impatience, but Calonice may then push back and walk slowly to demonstrate her apathy towards Lysistrata's aims.

You could use a touching exercise, in which both actors must touch each other on each of their lines. This explores how touching different body parts develops relationships/meaning of lines. For example, if Calonice touches Lysistrata's chest, this demonstrates her focus on sexuality; if Lys touches Calonice's head, this may come across as patronising.

Hope this helps a little, ask me if you'd like more :smile:

Original post by corsa

- Ampitheatre built on hills, in order to honour the god Dionysus
- seated around 14,000 men (women weren't allowed)
- paradoi used for actors to enter/exit
- orchestra was the main acting space - spherical, with an alter in the middle to honour gods

I just found this if it helps at all...

http://users.sch.gr/spapand/4thbc.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Can someone explain to me why everyone is planning on annotating every page of script with their own interpretation? It's panicking me! :frown: I make like 3-4 references to the text, and in my mock I got 27/30... Have you guys been told to annotate every section?!

WORRIEDDDD.
Original post by lozvegas
Can someone explain to me why everyone is planning on annotating every page of script with their own interpretation? It's panicking me! :frown: I make like 3-4 references to the text, and in my mock I got 27/30... Have you guys been told to annotate every section?!

WORRIEDDDD.

Do we have to specifically reference the text? Quotes and such? :eek:
Reply 87
Orginal performance conditions for woyzeck i swear dont existttt
can any1 find any?
Please can someone give me advice on how to go about Section C? IS there a type of structure to follow? I know we have to compare both the original performance to the modern but what do I need to do to get top marks?? I am doing Romeo and Juliet -Shakespeare!
Reply 89
Please can someone give me advice on how to go about Section C? IS there a type of structure to follow? I know we have to compare both the original performance to the modern but what do I need to do to get top marks?? I am doing Romeo and Juliet -Shakespeare!

I've just read this section in the textbook. Each paragraph should refer to the the performance you have seen live, in regards to the quotation you are set in the question. Then, in the latter parts of the paragraph, you say whether it was similar or different to how it was done in Shakespeare's time! Here are some past paper and mock questions for you to practice:

June 2010: 'Theatre of the 21st century should be looking forward, not back.' Discuss the above statement to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its original performance conditions.

June 2010: Compare the staging of the production you have seen with your understanding of its original performance conditions.

June 2011: "Directors in the 21st century are mroe concerned with images than words in performance." Discuss the above statement to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its original performance conditions.

June 2011: Evaluate the use of one design element to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its original performance conditions.

Practice 1: “Theatre is a product of its time but its themes and issues are timeless.” Discuss the play you have seen in performance in the light of this statement and with reference to its original performance conditions.

Practice 2: Evaluate the influence of the director on the theatre of the twenty-first century by comparing the production you have seen with its original performance conditions.

Practice 3: “Theatre should be about the way we live now, not the way we used to live.” Discuss the play you have seen in performance in the light of this statement and with reference to its original performance conditions.

Practice 4: Discuss the way ideas were communicated to the audience in the production you saw, comparing it to its original performance conditions.

Practice 5: Referring to the production you have seen, discuss how an audience might have reacted to this staging of the play in its original performance conditions.

Practice 6: “This is the age of the designer, actors take second place.” In the light of this statement, discuss the production you have seen in comparison with its original performance conditions

Practice 7: Select a key role from the play you have seen and studied. Using your research log/ notes, compare and contrast this interpretation with the original performance conditions

Practice 8: “Theatre in the 21st century is full of tricks and gimmicks” Comment on the play you have seen in production in the light of the above statement and by reference to the original performance conditions

Practice 9: Discuss the way(s) ideas were communicated to the audience in the production you saw, comparing it to the original performance conditions.

Here is what I understand by what the structure should be:

1. Interpretation/themes in the live performance, interpretation/themes in its OPC
2. Acting style in the live performance, acting style in its OPC
3. Set in the live performance, set in its OPC
4. Costume in the live performance, costume in its OPC
5. Sound in the live performance, sound in its OPC
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by LilyJ-B
Orginal performance conditions for woyzeck i swear dont existttt
can any1 find any?

Original post by corsa

When you find some, do post. This is a sharing thread :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by xoJessicaAnn

The markscheme does say "specific examples" - I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry. If you can't quote off the top of your head, perhaps mention the specifics of the scene.

As for annotating my entire script, it's just a safety net. I'm writing the key examples of my interpretation in the front cover, as advised by the textbook lol.
Reply 92
I've just read this section in the textbook. Each paragraph should refer to the the performance you have seen live, in regards to the quotation you are set in the question. Then, in the latter parts of the paragraph, you say whether it was similar or different to how it was done in Shakespeare's time! Here are some past paper and mock questions for you to practice:

June 2010: “This is the age of the designer, actors take second place.” In the light of this statement, discuss the production you have seen in comparison with its original performance conditions

June 2010: Select a key role from the play you have seen and studied. Using your research log/ notes, compare and contrast this interpretation with the original performance conditions

June 2011: “Theatre in the 21st century is full of tricks and gimmicks” Comment on the play you have seen in production in the light of the above statement and by reference to the original performance conditions

June 2011: Discuss the way(s) ideas were communicated to the audience in the production you saw, comparing it to the original performance conditions.

Are you sure they're actually the past paper questions? They're different to the ones I've seen and the ones on the Edexcel site (http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/drama/Pages/default.aspx). Helpful nonetheless, might do one now as I'd run out of questions to do. :biggrin:
Reply 93
Original post by xoJessicaAnn

Oh no, I just said like "my lighting concept is this. in this scene, I would use this type of lighting to achieve this." Obviously not as simple as that but that's the vague structure.

I really hope I do as well as I did in my mock but I have a feeling my teacher was a bit over-generous with a mark of 71... :/ false sense of security.

Remember: 60% production you saw, 40% original conditions!
Reply 94
Are you sure they're actually the past paper questions? They're different to the ones I've seen and the ones on the Edexcel site (http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/drama/Pages/default.aspx). Helpful nonetheless, might do one now as I'd run out of questions to do. :biggrin:

Oh crap. What are the June 2010 and 2011 questions then please, if you have them to hand? I have no idea where I got those from then. Probably pulled outta my wee arse.
Reply 95
Oh crap. What are the June 2010 and 2011 questions then please, if you have them to hand? I have no idea where I got those from then. Probably pulled outta my wee arse.

Haha :biggrin: I think the ones you have are off the teachers' CDrom thingy cause I recognise them.

"Directors in the 21st century are mroe concerned with images than words in performance." Discuss the above statement to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its OPC

Evaluate the use of one design element to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its OPC

'Theatre of the 21st century should be looking forward, not back.' Discuss the above statement to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its OPC

Compare the staging of the production you have seen with your understanding of its OPC.

Wish I'd sat the paper last year, would've been all over the images/words qu.
Reply 96
Haha :biggrin: I think the ones you have are off the teachers' CDrom thingy cause I recognise them.

"Directors in the 21st century are mroe concerned with images than words in performance." Discuss the above statement to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its OPC

Evaluate the use of one design element to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its OPC

'Theatre of the 21st century should be looking forward, not back.' Discuss the above statement to demonstrate your understanding of the play you have seen in performance in relation to its OPC

Compare the staging of the production you have seen with your understanding of its OPC.

Wish I'd sat the paper last year, would've been all over the images/words qu.

Cheers my darling, and yes, me too. What structure would you advise? I gave a guess of a structure in a post of mine above, but since I haven't actually done a mock, I'm not too sure.
Reply 97
Cheers my darling, and yes, me too. What structure would you advise? I gave a guess of a structure in a post of mine above, but since I haven't actually done a mock, I'm not too sure.

I got 28 on that question and did this:

Brief intro of my general line of argument/when and where I saw the play/director's name/theatre company

General paragraphs as follows:
- First visual aspect (or just a general point if we're talking about Section C generally), brief description
- its impact
- how this supports ideas/themes in the text
- an example of a moment it was used (if applicable/if it supports your line of argument)
- then how this would have been used/not used in OPC, and what they did instead. The impact of this on an audience etc.

So I'd do probably 4 paragraphs in favour/against the statement (depending which is stronger), then two presenting the opposite, then a brief conclusion to summarise. :smile:

HTH! Bit vague but it's difficult to say exactly when you haven't seen the play I saw if you know what I mean. What play did you see?

I'm a bit concerned that I haven't really done specifics on my Section B. I've done more of a general overview...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
What play did you see?

I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream by Filter Theatre Company; you?

Thanks very much! I'm a tad confused by your second point though: you discussed how it supports ideas in the text? Do you mean the production's overall concept?

For which questions was this? :smile:
Reply 99
I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream by Filter Theatre Company; you?

Thanks very much! I'm a tad confused by your second point though: you discussed how it supports ideas in the text? Do you mean the production's overall concept?

For which questions was this? :smile:

R+J by Headlong :smile:

Well... for example, in the production I saw, they projected the image of a clock, which highlighted the futility of R+J's love, its speed, naivety, etc... Basically just the general drama BS of why the director chose to implement it in relation to the themes in the text...

So like, they also used flashbacks: one time, they did it so that R+J wouldn't die, the next so that they would. This showed that even the smallest change could completely change the outcome of the story.

That totes doesn't make sense, does it?

EDIT: it was the words and images one from '11
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending