The Student Room Group

How do I get a job with no experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clare~Bear
Most people do 2 weeks of work experience some time in high school, didnt you?

Yes, I did 1 week of work experience (we only did 1 week at my school :s-smilie:) when I was in Year 10 in a primary school though :/ which isn't related to retail.
It's annoying because I did get accepted to do my work experience at Tesco originally on the clothing department but then I got a letter at the last minute saying I couldn't do it there because they've started a new building project and there's health and safety issues - sounds like a poor excuse to me. This meant that I had to get any work experience I could before it was too late which was why I had to do it at a primary school.
Original post by notastampcollector
*errors :wink:

But seriously, we're generally pretty chilled about grammar/spelling here on TSR. Just don't start a thread on it, or you'll see all the grammar Nazis' pent up frustrations pouring out.

LOL
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to focus on the skills the employer is looking for, not the environment, and give them evidence that you have those skills, albeit transferable from other situations.

Despite no experience, I have been saying about how I'm good at communicating with people and I'm helpful etc. which I demonstrated in my work experience at a primary school... (not relevant to retail, I know :frown: ) but a lot of jobs I've been looking at say you must have worked in a retail environment before, regardless of the skills you have but I see what you're saying.

Original post by threeportdrift
You shouldn't be mentioning your availability in an application.

Most of the jobs I've applied for ask you to specify your availability.
You could always try applying for charity fundraising jobs (home fundraising, real fundraising, Wesser [although that last one is commission based]).
The pay is normally £7-£7.50 an hour, often with a bonus incentive scheme depending on how many people you sign up a week.
They take practically anyone, as long as you are fluent in English and friendly.
It is sociable, and the people you work with are always fun, the job itself though can be a bit crap.
Reply 44
Have you tried applying for cleaning vacancies? It's what I've been working as for the past three months. Whenever I look online for jobs in my local area there always tend to be quite a few cleaning vacancies. My impression is that it's because it's not what many people want to do, but it's not a bad job by any means.
Reply 45
I worked Saturdays in a charity shop for a while before I got my first paid job. I hate it, it's a rubbish job, but I know that the only reason they took me on was because I was the only young one who had any experience! (I haven't read the rest of the thread, so I don't know if it's viable for you to do this or not, sorry)
Original post by jennifex
OK, your problems are highlighted in bold, basically.

1) Try not to apply for things online because you are totally anonymous. Go into shops and ask if they have vacancies. Also, retail isn't the only place to get a part time job.

2) As you point out you have no experience. The way to remedy this is to get some experience. There is no point in whining about your friends having had experience because of family. That's not going to make an employer look at you and go "oh, it's not their fault they don't have experience! Let's employ them!" Get real. Life is unfair. Go down to a local charity shop and work there for a few weeks in the holidays, or on weekends.

3) I don't know what kind of "sophisticated terminology" you're using in your applications but it could well be putting them off. To work in retail you basically need a friendly smile, a bit of confidence and your head screwed on right. You don't need a first class degree.

Finally, if you don't hear back from places, call them up and politely ask whether they received your application and have had chance to consider it yet. If they say they decided not to give you an interview, ask them why not and try to improve for next time.

I have handed my CV into shops but heard nothing back and a LOT of places say 'Sorry, we don't accept CVs - please apply via our online website' but I suppose I could hand it into smaller shops which don't have online sites but they've often also refused to take it - lol.

I agree what everyone is saying about the charity shop experience which is something I have been strongly considering but I fear that in this day and age, once I've worked there, when I put that I've worked in a charity shop on my cv/applications, they'll think "oh, it's only a charity shop so it doesn't count" etc. and then it would have been a waste of time in some ways. I do definitely think working in a charity shop is a good way of getting experience, especially with using the till etc and I suppose it should help.

Lol. I haven't been 'speaking' to them using sophisticated terminology or anything - I just mean I've wrote stuff like "...I always ensure that I project an impression of positivity and maintain a friendly approach with the people I am acquainted with" (something along those lines - I see that as sort of 'sophisticated' I suppose) I just meant that I try to sound mature enough to work there etc.

I haven't thought about the 3rd point before and it's something I'll take into consideration.
Original post by MrHappy_J
...not that his friends have better opportunities than him.

Just to anyone who's reading through this thread, I just thought I'd point that I'm female. :smile:

not that it makes any difference
:angry:

Original post by MrHappy_J
:angry:

Calm down guys! :smile:
Original post by thegoldeneggcup

I agree what everyone is saying about the charity shop experience which is something I have been strongly considering but I fear that in this day and age, once I've worked there, when I put that I've worked in a charity shop on my cv/applications, they'll think "oh, it's only a charity shop so it doesn't count" etc.

Maybe some people may not like me for saying it but you're kinda right. I think it's misleading to say voluntary work in a charity shop will significantly contribute to your efforts in getting a job...especially if that's what everyone else is doing. It gives you maybe a bit more of a chance but tbh the effect is minimal on your CV. I'm not saying that to be negative but looking at it realistically, as it is unskilled work you're looking for, there are so many more people who do have the relevant experience and even having that doesn't always get you the job let alone anything else.

Also regarding voluntary work, just because it is free work doesn't mean companies will take you on otherwise everyone would easily be able to get internships - why wouldn't they want a pair of free hands right?? Wrong. Like someone said, it is not always as easy as all of that so its better not to go in with expectations that 'you should be able to do this' and 'you should get that' or this will lead to feelings of disappointment and you will also start to look to yourself to blame for 'not being good enough' which is the road to despair lol.

You're not failing through a lack of effort and even though it feels like you've applied to a thousand jobs, be persistent and eventually that will pay off for you. The key is not to get discouraged and not to feel entitled, no matter how much experience you have because life doesn't work like that. Most of the time you can rejected from a job for no reason at all - be prepared for it, move on and keep trying because it will not necessarily get easier.
Calm down guys! :smile:

...lol.
Original post by Nomes89
Maybe some people may not like me for saying it but you're kinda right. I think it's misleading to say voluntary work in a charity shop will significantly contribute to your efforts in getting a job...especially if that's what everyone else is doing. It gives you maybe a bit more of a chance but tbh the effect is minimal on your CV. I'm not saying that to be negative but looking at it realistically, as it is unskilled work you're looking for, there are so many more people who do have the relevant experience and even having that doesn't always get you the job let alone anything else.

Also regarding voluntary work, just because it is free work doesn't mean companies will take you on otherwise everyone would easily be able to get internships - why wouldn't they want a pair of free hands right?? Wrong. Like someone said, it is not always as easy as all of that so its better not to go in with expectations that 'you should be able to do this' and 'you should get that' or this will lead to feelings of disappointment and you will also start to look to yourself to blame for 'not being good enough' which is the road to despair lol.

You're not failing through a lack of effort and even though it feels like you've applied to a thousand jobs, be persistent and eventually that will pay off for you. The key is not to get discouraged and not to feel entitled, no matter how much experience you have because life doesn't work like that. Most of the time you can rejected from a job for no reason at all - be prepared for it, move on and keep trying because it will not necessarily get easier.

+ rep when I have it.
Here's the thing. If you walk around saying to people "Please can I work for you for free", it's not going to take long for someone to snap you up. Even if you have no experience. Even in an economic crisis. Sorry but you will not change my mind... there is really no excuse.

Wrong. Read Nomes89's post, 2nd paragraph. You really are a bit thick if you think it's as simple as that.
(edited 12 years ago)
I tried to looking for a job soon as I turned 16
I handed at least 35 CVs in a month to a bunch of shops in my city, my grades are good but I have no retail experience so I got a bombardment of rejection letters saying "you need retail experience to apply"
But I found a solution
Hollister, they don't look at retail experience:smile: and they pay well plus you choose your hours, and everyone gets an interview:biggrin: I've been working there for a year noww I have retail experience :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Jasmine.815
I tried to looking for a job soon as I turned 16
I handed at least 35 CVs in a month to a bunch of shops in my city, my grades are good but I have no retail experience so I got a bombardment of rejection letters saying "you need retail experience to apply"
But I found a solution
Hollister, they don't look at retail experience:smile: and they pay well plus you choose your hours, and everyone gets an interview:biggrin: I've been working there for a year noww I have retail experience :smile:

The pays not that great and people have to be reasonably good looking to work there unless they wanna be overnighters
I will try Hollister store nice time I go there and ask for manager and bring my cv with me hopefully as I have many retail experience.
Everyone's situation is different. If a person finds a job/volunteer job easy than others, they must have something than the other doesn't.

I certainly wouldn't want to employ someone who wants to work for free but their attitude is dreadful. This doesn't help the atmosphere and the credibility of the company.

Moving on..

Everyone is finding it difficult to get experience. Starting at college, and getting a part time job is difficult.

Why?

1) Graduates unable to find work. They're more employable than college students or starters.
2) Most people taking part-time jobs because they're unable to find a full-time job. The vacancies for part time are very limited (depending on other factors, such as location, company).

Most jobs required a tailored CV of relevant skills & experience. Yes, gaining that is difficult if they can provide you this.
I'm currently in my first year at college (I'm 17) and I'm looking for a part time job. I've applied (mostly online) for at least 30 jobs and I haven't even had an interview. I have never worked anywhere before so I don't have any experience. I've applied at Next, for example, loads of times and I keep getting emails saying I failed the online questionnaire even though it seems fairly logical :s I've also had emails off places saying I was unsuccessful because I don't have the relevant experience but how am I suppose to get experience if I don't get a job in the first place! Lots of people at my college have jobs and haven't worked anywhere previously and I've applied for the same places!

Some people I know who have jobs have had experience in retail but only in like there Uncle's shop or when there Mum is the manager or something I don't think its fair because I don't there are no retail businesses in my family etc. so I'm bound to not have experience. I always try to go the extra mile in applications and use sophisticate terminology and stuff - is this putting them off? Its really frustrating because I have good qualifications and I'm polite and friendly yet I've not had an interview. Could it be that I can only really work weekends and maybe two weekday evenings?

-Thanks

There are too many factors involved, e.g. other applicants such as over 25 year old may have 4/5 years experience, only to be selected. Every organisation works differently though.

True, others are finding it competitive to get a place. Working at other places that is irrelevant does not say to employer you can DO the work but you as a person.

Who would get first priority, someone with retail experience or non-retail experience. Retail experience. This reduces a lot of expenses for the employer to train. In other words, they're like most companies right now. Save more money, invest little.

Any other jobs, is useful for transferable skills but if it's a job unrelated or unskilled, it's not worth noting on CV when CV is suppose to sell yourself in a few bullet points.

Hence big companies, like to get rich QUICK. SME's are struggling during these times and would like to get a bit of some of that too. Hence it's difficult for people to get employed.

Yes, cuts, cuts, more cuts which doesn't help.

Moving on....
Did you not do work experience during Gcse years?
Anyway...
Look online for "BAM Outsources" - theyre a direct sales company, theyre always hiring, and you dont need experience.
Either them or work experience at charity shops for few weeks :L
Original post by st_23
The pays not that great and people have to be reasonably good looking to work there unless they wanna be overnighters

Ok it's not amazing.. but £6.08 an hour at 16, is a lot more than my friends who work elsewhere:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending