The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MuffinMonster
They still have Fulham!

Fulham who got beat 4-0 by Everton last week?
Original post by internet tough guy
Same here. I said it here on wednsday when spurs won their game to get within a point of us. I had a hunch we would not win both our games with how we were playing recently, and TBH I thought it was going to be the game against WBA which we would not win (you know with it being Roy's last game) rather today.

I was saying this after QPR and getting heavily negged for it.
Reply 1182
Original post by Beneb
(There's no way in hell that Bayern are losing to Chelsea at the Allianz).

This is exactly what we said when Chelsea played Barcelona, except with a bit more emphasis because Barcelona are that much better.

I would definitely not want to hinge on Bayern saving us with Chelsea fighting for their CL lives as well.
Original post by Tsunami2011
You're only two points clear of Newcastle, even if they lose to City, and I wouldn't bet on you getting anything aganist West Brom

I actually don't think WBA will be bothered as such. Roy is probably too focused on England.

But then again the same was said about Norwich......
Reply 1184
Original post by G550NDH
No emirates cup next year

Oh well what a shame. So sham trophies for us in the foreseeable future then. On the positive side we can always rely on Arsenal Ladies for dem trophies:tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
great stats about defender and defensive midfielder:

Alex Song and Thomas Vermaelen made 0 tackles.
Original post by Peggles_*
Fulham who got beat 4-0 by Everton last week?

Fulham who drew 1-1 with us :angry:
Original post by Beneb
Calm down, everyone. If we win at West Brom next week, we only need one of either Newcastle or Tottenham to drop 2 points to secure fourth. (There's no way in hell that Bayern are losing to Chelsea at the Allianz). Given Newcastle's schedule and Tottenham's erractic form, this is entirely likely. The fatalism displayed on this board after every draw or loss is ridiculous.

That seems fairly ridiculous to me, considering that Chelsea beat Barcelona. The key is IF Arsenal win at WBA, which doesn't look likely at the moment. If both spurs and Newcastle win, you're one point of both of them, and they have fairly easy final games.
Original post by Beneb
Calm down, everyone. If we win at West Brom next week, we only need one of either Newcastle or Tottenham to drop 2 points to secure fourth. (There's no way in hell that Bayern are losing to Chelsea at the Allianz). Given Newcastle's schedule and Tottenham's erractic form, this is entirely likely. The fatalism displayed on this board after every draw or loss is ridiculous.

LOL sounds familiar, thats what people we saying on wednesday night after spur's win and guess how that turned out :rolleyes:

Like I said, I am confident newcastle will drop points so I'm not thinking about them. Its spurs that I'm worried about, momentum is key in sport and right now they're in the ascendency with their destiny in their own hands, so I think we're going to finish 4th and hope bayern beat chelsea - odds are this will happen, but this is the same chelsea who lucked their way past barcelona, so who knows. And also theres the small matter of finishing below our local rivals after having fought so hard to recover from an appaling start - this is what hurts the most for me, the fact that we've just thrown it all away, our hard work, our run of wins, everything.
Villa are absolutely awful, there is no way they will take points from Spurs. They might have done a few weeks ago, but not now. Fulham are terrible away from home and will roll over in the final game at WHL. 3rd is the scum's to throw away.

Provided City/Everton keep their act together Newcastle should be dropping points, so we can still get 4th with our useless capitulation of a run in. Then its over to Bayern.
Would someone please explain to me WHY Ramsey started? he slows everything down.
Reply 1191
Original post by Kevmeister
Nobody willing to criticize Wenger and the fact his team wasn't motivated for about 2/3 of the game?

I think it was more down to Norwich, they played great in the first half and our players tried to get a grasp on the game but it was difficult. They tactically had an advantage and I don't think anyone has come to the Emirates with such a lethal combination of possession, counter-attacking football and two men upfront.

The first goal was a joke, GK should have done better, second was a deflection after a two-on-three situation that should have never happened and the third was also the GK's fault; he came out and then decided against it and had his bearings wrong.

The referee's decision's cancel each other out but we have no one but ourselves to blame, those players should be ashamed of themselves.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think Arsenal's CL spot is safe. Chelsea aren't going to win the CL, their win against Barca was a more a product of Barca's attacking arrogance combined with terrible defence. In a more open game, like the one against Bayern will produce, Chelsea would have lost. Barca's hatred of long range shooting, something the likes of Robben and Schweinsteiger are happy to do, make it a far more risky tactic. Bayern are also playing for something huge. With no Terry and a larger forward like Gomez, I think that game as a reference for the next is basically irrelevant, approach will be so different.
Original post by Kevmeister
Nobody willing to criticize Wenger and the fact his team wasn't motivated for about 2/3 of the game?

When a game is obviously a must win, I find it hard to see how it can be the manager's fault a team isn't motivated.

Wenger's problem is his unwillingness to get the team to learn how to defend. Tracking back from the midfield has been shocking in games without Arteta, who funnily enough hasn't spent much time under Arsene.

I just want this season to be over, its been horrible.
(edited 11 years ago)
It doesn't matter how many goals we score, it seems the defence will leak goals whatever. :emo:
Reply 1195
If there is any consolation, maybe we can win the Europa League?

No chance. Have you seen the way Atletico Madrid and Bilbao are playing? They don't bottle it when it counts like we do.
Whose cocked it up bigger this season, Man utd or Arsenal?
Reply 1197
What from this display has convinced you that we will beat WBA next week?

We had several chances, but we didnt convert them.

Every post I see of yours is negative, either support the team or quieten down....
Reply 1198
Original post by internet tough guy
LOL sounds familiar, thats what people we saying on wednesday night after spur's win and guess how that turned out :rolleyes:

Like I said, I am confident newcastle will drop points so I'm not thinking about them. Its spurs that I'm worried about, momentum is key in sport and right now they're in the ascendency with their destiny in their own hands, so I think we're going to finish 4th and hope bayern beat chelsea - odds are this will happen, but this is the same chelsea who lucked their way past barcelona, so who knows. And also theres the small matter of finishing below our local rivals after having fought so hard to recover from an appaling start - this is what hurts the most for me, the fact that we've just thrown it all away, our hard work, our run of wins, everything.

I'm not suggesting these aren't legitimate concerns, but it seems faintly absurd to me that after every single setback, people immediately fear the absolute worst. Let's at least wait until tomorrow's results before the incantations of doom begin.
Reply 1199
Personally, I don't think the performance as a whole today was as bad as some of the others we've seen recently - we created a lot of clear cut chances, scored 3 goals and had a couple of pens wrongly turned away. We massively lacked Arteta's ability to control the midfield from deep throughout the first half, as we have done in a couple of games recently, just completely stops us building from the back and invites pressure on, but the main issue was obviously the defence. Got asked to blog essentially what I wrote on here the other day and that defensive performance just typified the problems I was talking about - first goal was very poor keeping but Gibbs did little to stop the cross coming in from the left, second goal came with Vermaelen well out of position up field and Gibbs failing to track Holt properly and the third was a result of Vermaelen standing still and letting his man run. There's no way can you convince me that what Gibbs and Vermaelen add to the attack is worth being so leaky at the back.

http://sandalsforgoalposts.com/2012/05/04/is-vertonghens-versatility-the-answer-to-arsenals-problems/

Latest