The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Assuming that Song concentrates on defending - I think in midfield, our first priority should be an AM that could rotate with Rosicky and inspire Ramsey. Then we should focus on a DM.
Wilshere(assuming fit) and Rosicky could back up the CM "Arteta" role. Either of them or Coquelin(assuming fit) could drop back if Song is missing for DM.

It all could change though , if we plan on using Wilshere as an AM.

Outscoring>Defending :colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash:

Plus I still think we need a better LB.
Reply 1641
If anyone's bothered, M'Villa's Rennes are playing Montpiellier later tonight. Should be a decent match.
Original post by jam277
Just wondering, where do you think you guys will come next season in the league? Making a more sustained title challenge due to having players who want to be at the club playing for arsenal or do the typical win the title in march and somehow end up scraping 3rd/4th?

As much as I hope we will make a significant title challenge, I feel we will end up 3rd next season.
Original post by jam277
Just wondering, where do you think you guys will come next season in the league? Making a more sustained title challenge due to having players who want to be at the club playing for arsenal or do the typical win the title in march and somehow end up scraping 3rd/4th?

Don't see us winning the title with Man City and Man Utd being so dominant atm. However, I feel the league will be much closer next season and we might contend for the title at some point next season.
Original post by 419
You bolded the wrong part imo. Like I've said all along, nothing's changed from last season. Actually, we've progressed :lolwut: So, I'll be surprised if we sign alot of players

I love wenger for this. You just have to love this guy sometimes. How many seasons have we heard him say, everything is fine?
Original post by Xotol
I would rather sign a DM tbh. Song has become a liability as the primary defensive cover lately.

Also, I believe we could push Wilshere further forward.

Yeah song has been a liability lately, but over the course of the season he has served well in the CDM position.

Yeah wilshere can be pushed forward, but I don't think he's an out and out attacking midfielder, more like a box-to-box. We still need to buy a quality attacking forward, which is why I'd rather have seen a good Attacking midfielder come in.

But you never know; Song might turn out to be a quality midfielder when not played in a defensive role. Also raises questions of where how much we will need Arteta if the signing of M'Vila is true.
Daniel Kaluuya @Kaluuya

If Arsenal sign Yann M'Vila, does that mean Emmanuel is getting Frimponged? #Bench. #BenchGang. #TransffffeeeerrrrYeeeeaaaah.

:rofl:

you have to admit its a bit funny
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Don't see us winning the title with Man City and Man Utd being so dominant atm. However, I feel the league will be much closer next season and we might contend for the title at some point next season.

I think the title is definitely winnable but depending on how much Man Utd/ Man City spend in the summer. If both keep their squads pretty much the same I definitely think we can contend for the title. Man Utd's squad is very average compared to past seasons and City as we have seen this season are suspect under pressure.

If we can buy a very good AM, good LB and a decent back up striker, we can certainly challenge for the title.
I'd like a quality LB, or Gibbs to just come good. We've gone from Cole to Clichy to Gibbs, such steps down when we don't really coach our defenders to defend.

Also I refuse to believe in any transfer until its officially announced, twitter can go **** itself :biggrin:
Original post by Loat
I'd like a quality LB, or Gibbs to just come good. We've gone from Cole to Clichy to Gibbs, such steps down when we don't really coach our defenders to defend.

Also I refuse to believe in any transfer until its officially announced, twitter can go **** itself :biggrin:

Although Clichy was poor last season, this season he has been doing very good for City.

I wish we had kept him :colonhash:
Original post by Ultimate1
I think the title is definitely winnable but depending on how much Man Utd/ Man City spend in the summer. If both keep their squads pretty much the same I definitely think we can contend for the title. Man Utd's squad is very average compared to past seasons and City as we have seen this season are suspect under pressure.

If we can buy a very good AM, good LB and a decent back up striker, we can certainly challenge for the title.

That's the problem, they will strengthen.

Kagawa has 99% signed for United. Not to mention that they'll get a right back and left back which has cost them at times this season. They will definitely spend something along the lines of £40 million this summer.

Hazard will definitely go to City and providing Tevez stays, they will be even stronger next season. Mancini has openly stated that he's after another defensive midfielder so he can push Yaya up forward. Not to mention that De Jong will probably leave. They'll probably get another RB as an understudy for Richards and probably another CB. They will spend somewhere in the region of £80 million.

With all that in account, I simply can't see us contending with them to the point that we'll be right on their tails. I feel we'll probably end up 8-10 points short which is progression (providing we make 3-4 key signings).

Not being pessimistic but we need to keep it real. Most realistic silverware is probably the FA cup next season. Again, this is progression.
If we hypothetically get Yann, how many more signings would we need to be title contenders?
Three.

Another centrehalf, another striker and another winger.
Is there any other transfers apart from M'Villa and Vertoghen that are rumored/Arsenal is interested in?
Original post by antonfigo
Daniel Kaluuya @Kaluuya

:rofl:

you have to admit its a bit funny
It is funny cos Frimpong's a ****.
Although Clichy was poor last season, this season he has been doing very good for City.

I wish we had kept him :colonhash:

Would have been nice, I think he's a stronger option than Gibbs at the moment. I just miss the glorious solidity of Cashley.
Some stats i found about Yann M'Vila credit goes to: http://masonsafcblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/arsenal-target-yann-mvila-evaluated-2/

Compare him to current Arsenal player Alex Song;

Averages 70 passes per game, 6 more than Song
Averages 3.1 tackles per game, very similar to Song’s 2.8
Averages 2.5 interceptions per game, very impressive compared to Song’s 2
Averages a respectable 0.8 fouls per game, compared to Song’s 2.2. This shows his calmness in tackling, with only 2 bookings this season.
Reply 1657
Original post by jilebinator

How many minutes spent swaggering around the place with an undeserved arrogance not doing your job properly per game does he have compared to songs 85 ?
Reply 1658
Yeah song has been a liability lately, but over the course of the season he has served well in the CDM position.

Yeah wilshere can be pushed forward, but I don't think he's an out and out attacking midfielder, more like a box-to-box. We still need to buy a quality attacking forward, which is why I'd rather have seen a good Attacking midfielder come in.

But you never know; Song might turn out to be a quality midfielder when not played in a defensive role. Also raises questions of where how much we will need Arteta if the signing of M'Vila is true.

Arteta will remain in the starting line-up next season as he is clearly an integral part of our defensive ability (Arsenal have not won a match in the PL this season without him) whilst Song/M'Vila will rotate.
Original post by jilebinator
If we hypothetically get Yann, how many more signings would we need to be title contenders?

We'd need to sign another striker, another attacking midfielder and another left back. Then we might have a chance.

Latest