The Student Room Group

WJEC BY1 and BY2 Summer 2012

I couldn't find a thread for these exams so I thought I would create one :smile:

How's everyone getting on revising?
I haven't finished the BY2 specification in college yet and I'm not sure we'll finish it before study leave so I'm kind of worried :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was just looking for this thread! Its very quiet indeed. Revision is not going so very good atm, I just know I'm not doing enough, I have only done 1 past paper so far, and didn't even get a C :/

Not finished spec yet? What have you still got left? If its only a week's worth of learning more then maybe its not too bad, just make sure you know previous topics properly. We only finished the whole thing just last week too. I got worried though and so read about the tapeworms and a few other bits beforehand :smile:
Anyways, gonna go make some flashcards now!
Reply 2
I'm stressing out over these two! Both are resits for me but I haven't done BY1 since Jan 11 so I feel as though the past couple of weeks I've spent re-teaching myself all that! But I'm pretty confident on most of it now, just a few bits that need a good going over to get them to stick in my mind.

As for BY2 - there's just so much :frown: I'm okay at the basics but all the details just get me. The AS class I attend haven't finished the spec either so it's a bit of a panic there too but hopefully will be done mid-next week. Stupid bank holiday taking up time!
Reply 3
Original post by Myda
I was just looking for this thread! Its very quiet indeed. Revision is not going so very good atm, I just know I'm not doing enough, I have only done 1 past paper so far, and didn't even get a C :/

Not finished spec yet? What have you still got left? If its only a week's worth of learning more then maybe its not too bad, just make sure you know previous topics properly. We only finished the whole thing just last week too. I got worried though and so read about the tapeworms and a few other bits beforehand :smile:
Anyways, gonna go make some flashcards now!

I did BY1 in January but yeh, because WJEC isn't the most popular exam board, I thought I'd put BY1 and BY2 together.

Yeh it's a weeks worth now, gonna be learning about the tapeworm and that next week. :smile: So I think I'll do some skimming through it this weekend.

Do loads of past papers!!! It really works for biology because it's like you know the content but you have to know how to word it correctly to get the marks. I've done a few (even though haven't done digestion yet) and get around a C. But I really want an A because I want to be a vet! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by vickiex
I'm stressing out over these two! Both are resits for me but I haven't done BY1 since Jan 11 so I feel as though the past couple of weeks I've spent re-teaching myself all that! But I'm pretty confident on most of it now, just a few bits that need a good going over to get them to stick in my mind.

As for BY2 - there's just so much :frown: I'm okay at the basics but all the details just get me. The AS class I attend haven't finished the spec either so it's a bit of a panic there too but hopefully will be done mid-next week. Stupid bank holiday taking up time!

Ahhh do you have loads of exams then?

There is so much to BY2!! BY1 seems so much easier though. :smile: I'm okay on the heart and digestion (I think, i'm only just learning about that now) It's the oxygen dissociation curves that get me!
Reply 5
Original post by Sausage1
Ahhh do you have loads of exams then?

There is so much to BY2!! BY1 seems so much easier though. :smile: I'm okay on the heart and digestion (I think, i'm only just learning about that now) It's the oxygen dissociation curves that get me!

Yeah, 11 exams in total! - BY1, BY2 and BY5 for biology (also got Chem2, 4 and 5 and Core 2, 3 and 4, Stats and Decision though - it's because I was really ill last year so didn't perform well at all)

BY2 is huge and even after doing all the A2 spec it seems really daunting. I'm okay with digestion and the heart too but gas exchange is where I'm falling down massively.
Past papers all the way at the moment I think!
Reply 6
I did BY1 in January but yeh, because WJEC isn't the most popular exam board, I thought I'd put BY1 and BY2 together.

Yeh it's a weeks worth now, gonna be learning about the tapeworm and that next week. :smile: So I think I'll do some skimming through it this weekend.

Do loads of past papers!!! It really works for biology because it's like you know the content but you have to know how to word it correctly to get the marks. I've done a few (even though haven't done digestion yet) and get around a C. But I really want an A because I want to be a vet! :smile:

Haha, yeah it isn't. Wonder why our school still does WJEC, oh well.
For BY1 I did so so many past papers, and they do help a lot. I just dont get why I'm not doing them now. Im being so lazy!
Ah, well don't worry and hopefully you'll get amazing marks! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Myda
Haha, yeah it isn't. Wonder why our school still does WJEC, oh well.
For BY1 I did so so many past papers, and they do help a lot. I just dont get why I'm not doing them now. Im being so lazy!
Ah, well don't worry and hopefully you'll get amazing marks! :smile:

I think my college just do WJEC because it's a welsh collage.
Yeh I did loads of past papers for BY1 and I did quite well. But this time I haven't, I think it's because in January I only had 1 exam and now i have 8. :tongue:
Reply 8
I think my college just do WJEC because it's a welsh collage.
Yeh I did loads of past papers for BY1 and I did quite well. But this time I haven't, I think it's because in January I only had 1 exam and now i have 8. :tongue:

Ahh, that makes sense - mine isn't at all Welsh.
1 exam in Jan, lucky you. I had 3 then, and now I have 8 too!

I'm kinda confused though. I did this past paper from WJEC's website, the summer 2009 one, and I have tried finding the mark scheme to it but the only mark scheme for that is a totally different paper :s
And I really wanna see the mark scheme for this one!
Any ideas? Or has anybody got the mark scheme for this? Will be grateful! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Myda
Ahh, that makes sense - mine isn't at all Welsh.
1 exam in Jan, lucky you. I had 3 then, and now I have 8 too!

I'm kinda confused though. I did this past paper from WJEC's website, the summer 2009 one, and I have tried finding the mark scheme to it but the only mark scheme for that is a totally different paper :s
And I really wanna see the mark scheme for this one!
Any ideas? Or has anybody got the mark scheme for this? Will be grateful! :smile:

Is it BY2 (new spec) or BI2 (old spec)? What was the first question? :smile:
I have mark schemes for both but not a clue how to attach them on here so I'll puzzle that out and hopefully get the right one to you! (or pm an email address and I'll send it that way)
Reply 10
Original post by vickiex
Is it BY2 (new spec) or BI2 (old spec)? What was the first question? :smile:
I have mark schemes for both but not a clue how to attach them on here so I'll puzzle that out and hopefully get the right one to you! (or pm an email address and I'll send it that way)

You have made my day! :P It's BI2, old spec one. I'll pm an email address if thats easier. Thanks a bunch!
Reply 11
Original post by Myda
You have made my day! :P It's BI2, old spec one. I'll pm an email address if thats easier. Thanks a bunch!

sent it! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by vickiex
sent it! :smile:

I got it thanks!

On another note: I really don't get tissue fluid properly. Its not that hard but I just don't seem to grasp the concept! I know that it has something to with hydrostatic pressure and osmotic but I just get confused. I've read the revision guide 3 times and its still not sticking in my head properly, and I've done 2 past papers which asked about it, worth about 4-5 marks and I felt like leaving it out.
Anybody explain it to me? It'll be useful for revision too :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by vickiex
Yeah, 11 exams in total! - BY1, BY2 and BY5 for biology (also got Chem2, 4 and 5 and Core 2, 3 and 4, Stats and Decision though - it's because I was really ill last year so didn't perform well at all)

BY2 is huge and even after doing all the A2 spec it seems really daunting. I'm okay with digestion and the heart too but gas exchange is where I'm falling down massively.
Past papers all the way at the moment I think!

blimey thats so many exams! I'm resitting by2 aswell and im doing by5 and im struggling to learn the by2 stuff in comparison to the by5! it really does feel like theres just so much to learn!!!
Reply 14
Hey all.

I'm resitting BY2, BY4 and BY5 this summer.

There is a massive volume of information in BY2. I've found it easier revising using the Teacher Spec rather than the crappy student one which has no detail. It has really helped with important information that needs to be worded correctly when answering exam papers.

I also found that my teachers power-points were really vague compared with what we were meant to know for exams or worded completely differently (some information was even missed off) so bare that in mind too.

Again like everyone else has said, past papers are ultra important. I have sat with all exams boards over my education and WJEC have been the most difficult in regards to specific wording used, very specific answers needed and content.

I have found that when completing past papers even if I know the content inside out, I've often worded my answers incorrectly and completely lost marks even if it means the same thing. Just watch out on these and make sure you go over a few past papers in details preferably covering every unit to gauge the kind of wording/answers needed for the questions.

Another gut instinct you should think about is this: if you look at something and think that it will be worth little marks in a question or that it won't be in the exam.. chances are it will be. The last BY2 exam I sat (after missing 50% of college due to chronic illness) I covered as much as I could but everything I thought I could get away with not knowing came up.. and I mean everything! It was bad. Lesson learnt - cover EVERYTHING in your revision starting with the most difficult first.

Top tips:
1) In the exam, don't waffle. Be very concise with your answers.
2) Try a past paper under timed conditions - as you may have realised in the exams you have sat already time is definitely the enemy!
3) Think outside of the box when answering some of the questions, especially BY4 and BY5 they are usually never as simple as they may initially look.

Good luck all!!
Reply 15
So how did everyone find BY1? :smile:

I thought the question on water potential was quite hard (Q6 i think) as did many people in my college. Definitely lost marks there. Also, is it acceptable to say phagocytosis?
Reply 16
Original post by Fatcho10
So how did everyone find BY1? :smile:

I thought the question on water potential was quite hard (Q6 i think) as did many people in my college. Definitely lost marks there. Also, is it acceptable to say phagocytosis?

the water potential question was solid, it was so confusing also this paper had quite a few 4 marks question compared to other past papers.
well i wrote pahgocytosis :/
Reply 17
Yeah there was that 4 mark DNA question too. How did you find the essays? The first one out me off a bit... :confused:
Reply 18
I put endocytosis - I think either might get the mark as technically theyre the same phago is just more specific, pinocytosis would be wrong though
I did BY1 today as well.
I found the enzyme activity essay good.
Pretty sure I've got 10 marks, even when I was reading through it really harshly. But I suppose I'll wait and see.
I didn't really like the water potential question either.
Also, is it just me or was question 1 unbelievably easy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending