The Student Room Group

IB exams 2012 start tomorrow :o

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doctor92
I think I have them 1 hour after you do... and yeah i did the ghost one too... I wasn't sure whether it was mocking or mocking and trying to be scary :biggrin: so I said at the beginning the narrator tries to convince the reader about the presence of ghosts and then with the comic tone suggesting that Percy is mad... I hope i didn't write bull**** :biggrin: I was kinda confused.. I think I will get a 5 as usual :smile:

haha honestly ive always been getting 5's in the mocks.. but since i got a 6 on my iop and im 1 point under a 6 in my ioc and world lit, i really wish i cud like land a low 6 in the end :tongue: not getting my hopes up so im expecting a 5 really.. i wrote abt how the writer used a lotta literary devices and used the narrator and the comic tone to actually convince the reader that percy really did see a ghost, and also abt how 3rd person narration helped in creating balance and all.. hope i didnt bs either :smile:
Reply 161
SL TZ2 English Paper 1 was a babe. I did the poem about the Second World War dinner party. It was reasonably simple to understand and analyse and considering in most political/social commentary-based analyses I get 7s, I'd be very surprised if I haven't this time!

Psychology P1 was ehh. I wish they asked more questions about actual theories rather than considering principles of the LOAs, ethics and the use of brain imaging technology. I talked about neuroplasticity for the Biology LAQ: Examine a link between cognition and physiology and the effect it has on behaviour. I'm pretty sure neuroplasticity would be suited better under "environment and physiology" so I hope it turns out okay. I was aiming for a 7 in the paper but I'm seriously doubting that. Hopefully I've got a 6 overall (not that we can talk about P2 and P3 :P).
Yay i'm halfway through! :biggrin:
Reply 163
I think what we both said works :P I don't know... I checked what the book was like apparently it is supposed to be scary but because it is too old it sometimes fails to do so :biggrin: how nice that they have chosen such a book :biggrin: So i think what you said makes more sense. I think my analysis is good with the literary devices and sentence structure the tone use of vocabulary and the character analysis are all fine except probably the understanding of the text might be between 3 and 4 in the criteria... well we'll see :smile:
gotta do some math :smile:
good luck again!
Reply 164
Original post by aeyurttaser13
i hope so.. i know ill get a 5 most probably but i want a 6 so badly! hope i do really gd in paper 2

Oh god, me too! I think it'll be a borderline 6. Hopefully the boundaries will be low this year :smile:

I am SO nervous for paper 2! Must memorize those quotations. Any tips?
Original post by ShaLa28
Oh god, me too! I think it'll be a borderline 6. Hopefully the boundaries will be low this year :smile:

I am SO nervous for paper 2! Must memorize those quotations. Any tips?

yea exactly! i hope so.. uhmm make sure the quotes have literary devices which u can comment on, and read sparknotes analysis, the use of symbolism, foreshadowing, etc cz the symbolism question is a popular one in paper 2. gd luck :smile: hope we both get to the low 6 haha
Original post by doctor92
I think what we both said works :P I don't know... I checked what the book was like apparently it is supposed to be scary but because it is too old it sometimes fails to do so :biggrin: how nice that they have chosen such a book :biggrin: So i think what you said makes more sense. I think my analysis is good with the literary devices and sentence structure the tone use of vocabulary and the character analysis are all fine except probably the understanding of the text might be between 3 and 4 in the criteria... well we'll see :smile:
gotta do some math :smile:
good luck again!

thx u too!
btw guys anyone remember the title of the passage and its author or/and the book it was taken from?
Original post by TTGenius
what you mean a joke?

I mean I always find Maths extremely difficult. It's a joke that I studied for the past two years when I'm so lacking in knowledge.
:frown:
Reply 169
Original post by HelloAndromeda
I mean I always find Maths extremely difficult. It's a joke that I studied for the past two years when I'm so lacking in knowledge.
:frown:

my sympathy
Original post by ShaLa28
So I'm pretty sure we can discuss the English paper now right?:s-smilie:

Ahhh who chose the prose from TZ2 - "The Womanizer" by Richard Ford?

I chose that too, what did anyone think of it? :smile:
Original post by Harve
SL TZ2 English Paper 1 was a babe. I did the poem about the Second World War dinner party. It was reasonably simple to understand and analyse and considering in most political/social commentary-based analyses I get 7s, I'd be very surprised if I haven't this time!

Psychology P1 was ehh. I wish they asked more questions about actual theories rather than considering principles of the LOAs, ethics and the use of brain imaging technology. I talked about neuroplasticity for the Biology LAQ: Examine a link between cognition and physiology and the effect it has on behaviour. I'm pretty sure neuroplasticity would be suited better under "environment and physiology" so I hope it turns out okay. I was aiming for a 7 in the paper but I'm seriously doubting that. Hopefully I've got a 6 overall (not that we can talk about P2 and P3 :P).

I did Psychology P1 too, I think I might have mucked the socio-cultural 8 marker up though, I talked about Jane Elliot for the "basic need to belong" principle... I think I should've talked about Tajfel instead, but oh well :smile:
I did the Socio-cultural 22 marker "evaluate research on conformity" too.. didn't fancy the other two!
I think it was a really nice paper though overall :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by elliewhitt
I chose that too, what did anyone think of it? :smile:

Loved it. I focused on the theme of "appearances". I'm not sure if it's right or not but anyway. I talked about the egg being a symbol of Austin itself. How Leo was able to break through his "shiny enamel" which is actually the facade that he puts up. Wow, now that I think about it, I feel like I'm going to fail :/
I did "The Womanizer" too....... Bit worried about it though as I think I missed the extended metaphor of globalisation? With Austin being representative of the USA and the emphasis being on Josephines language etc. also American icons including the Cadillac on Leo's top. Focused a lot on the use of colours and childlike imagery too with the underlying idea of it being about the degradation of society and the removal of the stigma with divorce. E.g. Jos. use of make up a metaphor for covering over the cracks of her past. Egg perhaps chipped to show how Austin is deitful just to try and get into their lives?
Annoyed that I missed that extended met. though! What did everyone else think?
Maths studies round 2 tomorrow!
Reply 174
Hey did anyone else do The Silkworms for English HL? I saw the centre of the poem as being humans domination and lack of appreciation for the beauty of nature :s-smilie: I heard a couple of people say it was an allegory for slavery, and I thought that but didn't think it was.... thoughts!?
Reply 175
Original post by joe.robertson11
I did "The Womanizer" too....... Bit worried about it though as I think I missed the extended metaphor of globalisation? With Austin being representative of the USA and the emphasis being on Josephines language etc. also American icons including the Cadillac on Leo's top. Focused a lot on the use of colours and childlike imagery too with the underlying idea of it being about the degradation of society and the removal of the stigma with divorce. E.g. Jos. use of make up a metaphor for covering over the cracks of her past. Egg perhaps chipped to show how Austin is deitful just to try and get into their lives?
Annoyed that I missed that extended met. though! What did everyone else think?
Maths studies round 2 tomorrow!

Alright, you just made me feel like a dumbass. I cannot believe I didn't see that! But don't fret too much about missing stuff because I'm sure there are a LOT of people(yeah, me) who didn't write that down. Plus, the things are never concrete. As long as you support your points well, you could do better than someone who stated the actual meaning of the passage.
Original post by ShaLa28
Alright, you just made me feel like a dumbass. I cannot believe I didn't see that! But don't fret too much about missing stuff because I'm sure there are a LOT of people(yeah, me) who didn't write that down. Plus, the things are never concrete. As long as you support your points well, you could do better than someone who stated the actual meaning of the passage.

Sorry I didn't mean to! :/ I know, it was so obvious once someone pointed it out, would have made for a lovely 7! Ah well... As you said.. As long as it is written well and included some literary devices linked to your own points and gave your own interpretation that like 4/5 of the marks! Looking forward to paper two?
Reply 177
Sorry I didn't mean to! :/ I know, it was so obvious once someone pointed it out, would have made for a lovely 7! Ah well... As you said.. As long as it is written well and included some literary devices linked to your own points and gave your own interpretation that like 4/5 of the marks! Looking forward to paper two?

Haha HELL NO. I've mostly been focusing on Biology and History(both HL) so I'm just going to have to scrape together a few quotations from my books. Hopefully it goes well :smile:

I'm just barging into this conversation as I am a closet Maths Studies!

Paper 2! I used to think it was worse than Paper 1, and I used to think I was far more likely to run out of time. But I just did a past paper - it took me 55 minutes, I thought I did badly (a tricky q.5) and still got 87%. So maybe there's hope?
Reply 179
Original post by beautiful-lion
I'm just barging into this conversation as I am a closet Maths Studies!

Paper 2! I used to think it was worse than Paper 1, and I used to think I was far more likely to run out of time. But I just did a past paper - it took me 55 minutes, I thought I did badly (a tricky q.5) and still got 87%. So maybe there's hope?

Haha we were talking about English A1 HL Paper 2 love. But speaking of Math, I'm going to FAIL tomorrow. Been going through all the Math SL past papers and honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending