The Student Room Group

How much would you ideally like to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Why do people have to be so pessimistic? It seems like so many people live out these self-fulfilling prophecies of "the economy is in ruins and there are no jobs anywhere so I can expect to live out a mediocre career and be happy with it". Errr .... no! Big companies still need senior managers, the public still want to read new and exciting books written by brilliant authors, blockbuster films need producers. Am I saying these jobs are possible for us all? No, but why the heck not aim for this?

Intentionally lowering your ambitions is the only certain way to not get an awesome career which pays well. Aim for the top, and in the end even if you haven't made it exactly to where you wanted you'll know you sure as hell could not have done anything more :smile:
Good point, ambition is certainly a good thing. But feeling like a failure in life if you don't earn a certain amount?
I would be pretty happy with £30,000+.
Reply 183
the position at my company i want pays about £40k I would be happy with that.

anymore than that and you are getting into senior management (at least at this company) and frankly I can't be arsed to take on even more responsibility and spend even more time at work.

So year when I get the management position that pays around £40k I will stop my progress
Reply 184
Apparently happiness levels increase with money, until about 40K, and after this point it stays about the same. 40K would be cool :biggrin:
I would be happy after rent and tax and all that to take home around £10,000. I won't even need to eat much. Higher would be better, but ideally I'm fine with taking home £10,000 disposable income.
Original post by TheKingoftheJews
I would be happy after rent and tax and all that to take home around £10,000. I won't even need to eat much. Higher would be better, but ideally I'm fine with taking home £10,000 disposable income.

Disposable income?
Or amount after tax? I'm confused....

£10,000 before tax would be about £13,000 a year....

But £10,000 disposable income, if you're living at home and abolsutely no bills at all. But that's a lot if you're paying rent..!!
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Disposable income?
Or amount after tax? I'm confused....

£10,000 before tax would be about £13,000 a year....

But £10,000 disposable income, if you're living at home and abolsutely no bills at all. But that's a lot if you're paying rent..!!

What I meant was after I've payed rent, tax, utilities, internet bills, mortgage and others, I'd like to have a minimum of £10,000 to myself to spend on what I like such as clothes, games, movies, takeaways and the sort.
Around 20-30k if i'm just spending it on myself.

To support a family around 60k+
Apparently happiness levels increase with money, until about 40K, and after this point it stays about the same. 40K would be cool

I believe the statistic is 50K :P http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/sep/07/happiness-50k-salary
Reply 190
Atleast a minimum of 25k at the age of 30
Reply 191
I think a lot of people on here need to take a longgg hard look at current market salaries. The majority of you seem to have delusional ideas about the kind of money they will be earning post uni
Original post by Chris_23
I think a lot of people on here need to take a longgg hard look at current market salaries. The majority of you seem to have delusional ideas about the kind of money they will be earning post uni

This. One my school mates envisions his potential future career as bearing a dream salary, and he's actually serious about it.

It's good to have ambition but you can't put the work into something imaginary.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Over 9000!
Original post by kaneboy
Nice. I'm not the only one, then. I agree that anything about £20,000 a year is enough to live comfortable ( by world standards ) but in Britain, it really isn't.

Life is for living, not slaving. Some people say 'money doesn't buy happiness', in a way, they're correct. Someone with little money can be very happy. But one thing money can certainly buy, is freedom. And for me, freedom brings happiness.

I agree. I read a book once, I think it was called Rich Dad, Poor Dad and it basically says don't work for money, let money work for you - if that makes sense.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 195
Well by retirement age I'd like to be earning around 80k like my grandfather was but I'd be happy with anything over 30. Out of Uni I'd expect to earn a maximum of 23 a minimum of 18. More would be nice but unlikely.
Enough to rid the world of poverty and hunger.
Reply 197
Going from experience I could keep my current lifestyle easily, for 20k a year, before tax, and I have seen my mum bring up 2 kids comfortably with 15k a year coming in, So I shouldn't have a problem.
Reply 198
£200,000 or so at the peak
Reply 199
60K+ before tax.

MattZING

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending