The Student Room Group

saving £9250 a year on gap year?

ok ive never had a job before so i dont know if i am being silly here but is it possible to save up a years worth of tuition whilst working weekends at a minimum wage job despite paying 4 tax, transport, food ect, i dont want to go through SFE. im thinking if i work thoughout the holidays (christmas, easter, summer) full time id make a lot more, but ill get taxed more. shall i just say f it and go through SFE or am i being silly.
Original post by treematrie
ok ive never had a job before so i dont know if i am being silly here but is it possible to save up a years worth of tuition whilst working weekends at a minimum wage job despite paying 4 tax, transport, food ect, i dont want to go through SFE. im thinking if i work thoughout the holidays (christmas, easter, summer) full time id make a lot more, but ill get taxed more. shall i just say f it and go through SFE or am i being silly.

It's insanely tough to save up £9k in a year.

Using the following income tax calculator as a rough proxy (because personal circumstances can mean different figures): https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/
You can earn up to £9250 tax free and not be liable for any tax. However, you would likely require £1k-2k on top for expenses (buying £30 worth of food a week alone costs £1500 a year). Transportation would depend on the individual circumstances.

Assuming you earn £13k for the entire year and not spend any of the money, that means you need to earn £1083 per month or £260 a week.
The minimum wage rate for 18 year olds since April 2023 is £7.49 an hour, That means you would need to doing 35 hours a week to earn £13k at minium wage. Anything above 30 hours a week is borderline full time job by definitoin.

The personal allowance for income tax is £12750 since April 2023. In other words, anything under £12750 is tax free (see: https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates). However, you would need to be doing 30+ hours a week at minimum wage to earn a salary that high.
If you worked 20 hours a week (during weekends) for the entire year and did it at minimum wage, you're going for an estimated gross income of £7490. It's not really near the £9250 figure that you have in mind.

Things I would recommend if you intend to spend a year saving up money:

Get a full time job - ideally something related to what you want to do after uni, even if it doesn't pay much

Get something that pays more than minimum wage

Something that develops real world skills that helps you in the industry that you want to get into

(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending