The Student Room Group

Occupy London Back?

Scroll to see replies

At least they're doing something for what they believe in rather than posting snarky comments while sitting on your fat arse at your computer...
Original post by MTR_10
and you think that is a sufficient contribution? How will that change the corrupt political system? Besides charities have become corrupted to the core - why? Because of capitalist greed. As for voluntary work, why do we need to rely on this? Why is society failing to support people? I think you need to ask yourself some questions rather than just make sweeping judgements.

Not sure what you mean lol. Do you support the protests and want capitalism to change or understand that maybe it contributes a wealth of good to society?
Reply 22
Original post by tehFrance
If it is against Capitalism... yes.

Capitalism can become tyrannical and even oppressive. We are certainly foolish if we don't fight tyranny and oppression.
Original post by G8D
Occupy movements are pathetic and futile.

They throw some good squat parties though! :biggrin:

(But they also do alot of damage unfortunaly) Im unsure as to how I feel about the movements as atm they just seem to be such a mish mash of ideals and ideas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Martyn*
Is it foolish to fight for what you believe in?

They believe in squatting, making a mess and having a "LOOK AT MEEE!" attitude.

Thats something to be proud of?

Possilbly! Thanks to the web and tv programs on these days, no wonder a bunch of self-obsessed egotistical retards take to the streets everytime something upsets them.
Original post by GeorgetheAug
At least they're doing something for what they believe in rather than posting snarky comments while sitting on your fat arse at your computer...

Why yes...they're sitting on their fat arses in the cold.
I think this picture pretty much sums up how I feel about the 'movement'.
real99.jpg

While I agree that the current system is unfair, the occupy movement hasn't proposed any changes other than "OPPOSE CAPITALISM MAN, FREE STUFF FOR ALL" or whatever, I'm all for change, but a lot of these kids have no idea how the world really works and just want to be part of some big social thing, regardless of how asinine and pointless it is.

Most of these people have the luxury to take time out of work or otherwise to sit around London, drink Starbucks and rebel against daddy, but they're totally the downtrodden poor. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by MTR_10
and you think that is a sufficient contribution? How will that change the corrupt political system? Besides charities have become corrupted to the core - why? Because of capitalist greed. As for voluntary work, why do we need to rely on this? Why is society failing to support people? I think you need to ask yourself some questions rather than just make sweeping judgements.

I think it is much more of a contribution than sitting in a tent, getting pissed and high, and bumming around the streets in the name of occupy, yes. Volunteer work directly helps a needy cause. Protesting like they do will not overthrow the system. They need a dose of reality, but I imagine they will live in revolutionary fairy land for the rest of their lives just so they don't have to realise how terrible their lives are. Self reflection is a dangerous thing for these protesters.
Reply 28
Original post by Martyn*
Capitalism can become tyrannical and even oppressive. We are certainly foolish if we don't fight tyranny and oppression.

This is an important point. Sadly most people seem to be completely unaware that they are living under the rule of banks and corporations.
Reply 29
Original post by ForKicks
I think it is much more of a contribution than sitting in a tent, getting pissed and high, and bumming around the streets in the name of occupy, yes. Volunteer work directly helps a needy cause. Protesting like they do will not overthrow the system. They need a dose of reality, but I imagine they will live in revolutionary fairy land for the rest of their lives just so they don't have to realise how terrible their lives are. Self reflection is a dangerous thing for these protesters.

This only highlights your ignorance.

Sad. Very sad.
Reply 30
Original post by MTR_10
This only highlights your ignorance.

Sad. Very sad.

Sorry, I clearly meant global revolutionaries who wake people up to their wicked ways and will ultimately lead the world into peace and happiness..Pfff :biggrin:

Oh, oh, I believe the word they use is sheeple. We are all sheeple..how precious :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Well at least in America the Occupy movement has been attended by ordinary people, if you look further than the main stream media (which while not directly controlled by the "1%", is more conscious of them). Although in the US the economic recession seems to have affected more people on mid level pay.

Technology means our current means of living won't work, technology means less jobs as there are more automated systems, and it means more scrutiny on both the people in power and the general public. Sometime there'll be a point where the unemployment rate is too high for society continue as it has. If you paid attention in history lessons you see that every so often society changes quite radically.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending