The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

BA Fine art at Chelsea or CSM?

Hi,

I need some help to choose the right course!
What are the main difference between BA Fine art at chelsea and CSM, what is the focus in each course and which of them would you choose?
thank you!
Reply 1
I had offers for both (ended up choosing neither and going with Camberwell, but thats another story! :biggrin:)

I think a large part of the difference comes down to size, Chelsea is the smallest of UAL wheras CSM is the largest. Heres my thoughts on both....

CSM: Exciting and experimental work, their new building is beautiful but at the moment still feels a bit new and sterile (personally I like lived in character). The first year of Fine Art is still held at Byam Shaw in Archway which is an area I really dislike with not much going on. The byam Shaw building is more cosy and broken in, but the super duper new mega building gets all the money and attention so workshops are not open all the time at Byam Shaw and the library is staffed by student/staff co-operative/volunteers - now, I like that sense of community Im aware not everyone would! You do have access to all the facilities in the main building but who really wants to travel between sites all the time? Having said that, the lecturers are brilliant and really push your creativity, the broad pathways are great and the XD pathway sounds really exciting. Excellent reputation (though more for fashion than fine art). When you do go to the new building in the 2nd year you will be swamped by fashion, design, architecture etc students all who will have settled in nicely to the building by the time you get there.

Chelsea: Beautuiful location by the river right next to tate britain (where you get free access), georgeous building full of character but TINY studio spaces. No wet processes (printing or darkrooms etc - a BIG deal breaker for me). No pathways - I like this, you can do whatever you want. excellent visiting lecturers, very prestigious international reputation for fine art. SUPER POSH (another deal breaker for me), very elitist (Id say even more so than CSM, though some would disagree). For me their degree show was deadly boring.

CSM was my second choice..... theres justy something new and exciting about the work they produce.

Look at the degree shows, see which excites you more....

Hope this helps - tough decision though, I agonised for ages (hence being able to write a book on my thoughts!)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Wow! great review! hehehe it helped a lot!
First of all, I dind´t know first year wasn´t at the new building, kinda disappointing! I like the fact there isn´t a pathway to choose in Chelsea because I work with phtography, drawing and sculpture and I´m freaking out to think of leting any of it go!
I´ve heard that CSM is more of a thinkin and conceptual course, which I relate a lot, but it seems chelsea is more cozy and experimental maybe, or maybe I have the wrong idea, but having less students is a pro definetelly.
Do you knoe the byam shaw campus? how is it? Anyway i´m going to take a look at the degrees shows! thank you so much! And tell, how you ended up at camberwell? what course?
Reply 3
Original post by Lomaloma
Wow! great review! hehehe it helped a lot!
First of all, I dind´t know first year wasn´t at the new building, kinda disappointing! I like the fact there isn´t a pathway to choose in Chelsea because I work with phtography, drawing and sculpture and I´m freaking out to think of leting any of it go!
I´ve heard that CSM is more of a thinkin and conceptual course, which I relate a lot, but it seems chelsea is more cozy and experimental maybe, or maybe I have the wrong idea, but having less students is a pro definetelly.
Do you knoe the byam shaw campus? how is it? Anyway i´m going to take a look at the degrees shows! thank you so much! And tell, how you ended up at camberwell? what course?

lol, I feel like I could write a book after this agonising process of decision making! I did a whole several months widening participation thing at CSM and though there is lots of emphasis on thinking/theory they put equal emphasis on making and doing. Dont get too phased by the pathways at CSM because people end up doing exactly what they want anyway - its more just a guide and it would also affect the contextual studies element (so if you did the 3D pathway there would be more emphasis on sculptural concepts/theories etc).

Byam Shaw is in Archway, its about 30mins by bus from Kings Cross, but like the other side of the world for me as Im a south londoner. The area is dead as a doornail, nothing interesting about it at all except a really steep hill and suicide bridge! Holloway road is good for shopping though.

Chelsea is definately calmer and cozier but I dont get the impression its more experimental - CSM is well known for producing very experimental and innovative work. I went to the degree shows last year and Chelsea bored me stupid - but that could just be my tatse.

I love camberwell casue its got all the benefits of chelsea in terms of smallness and coziness but its just WAY more down to earth and less pretentious (I really had a bad reaction to Chelsea in that regard). The clinching factor though was their approach to workshops, you can put your name down to do a workshop in anything from aninmation to letterpress and welding, it doesnt depend on your pathway and they actually teach you the skill. Everywhere else you have to track down a technician to help you with a specific project. I love the idea of actually learning new skills and I love Camberwell as an area. CSM gave it a run for its money but that was cause Id got to know the lecturers really well and a bunch of students who will be there in Sept and they were all brilliant - Archway made it impossible though. I'll be doing Sculpture at Camberwell in September - Im so excited :biggrin:
Reply 4
Wow! I think i´m agonizing too!!!haha But you were really helpful!
I thought CSM degree show a little too handcrafty maybe and byam shaw doen´t seem very enthusiastic haha, I don´t know London, so I have no ideia and to hear from someone who knows it is awesome!...the workshop thing in camberwell is really tempting too! Why do you thought chelsea elitist? I kinda don´t like it too! but i´m gonna think about it! thank you so much!
Original post by KED
lol, I feel like I could write a book after this agonising process of decision making! I did a whole several months widening participation thing at CSM and though there is lots of emphasis on thinking/theory they put equal emphasis on making and doing. Dont get too phased by the pathways at CSM because people end up doing exactly what they want anyway - its more just a guide and it would also affect the contextual studies element (so if you did the 3D pathway there would be more emphasis on sculptural concepts/theories etc).

Byam Shaw is in Archway, its about 30mins by bus from Kings Cross, but like the other side of the world for me as Im a south londoner. The area is dead as a doornail, nothing interesting about it at all except a really steep hill and suicide bridge! Holloway road is good for shopping though.

Chelsea is definately calmer and cozier but I dont get the impression its more experimental - CSM is well known for producing very experimental and innovative work. I went to the degree shows last year and Chelsea bored me stupid - but that could just be my tatse.

I love camberwell casue its got all the benefits of chelsea in terms of smallness and coziness but its just WAY more down to earth and less pretentious (I really had a bad reaction to Chelsea in that regard). The clinching factor though was their approach to workshops, you can put your name down to do a workshop in anything from aninmation to letterpress and welding, it doesnt depend on your pathway and they actually teach you the skill. Everywhere else you have to track down a technician to help you with a specific project. I love the idea of actually learning new skills and I love Camberwell as an area. CSM gave it a run for its money but that was cause Id got to know the lecturers really well and a bunch of students who will be there in Sept and they were all brilliant - Archway made it impossible though. I'll be doing Sculpture at Camberwell in September - Im so excited :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Lomaloma
Wow! I think i´m agonizing too!!!haha But you were really helpful!
I thought CSM degree show a little too handcrafty maybe and byam shaw doen´t seem very enthusiastic haha, I don´t know London, so I have no ideia and to hear from someone who knows it is awesome!...the workshop thing in camberwell is really tempting too! Why do you thought chelsea elitist? I kinda don´t like it too! but i´m gonna think about it! thank you so much!

It was a vibe I got when I went round the degree show at Chelsea, one of the students gave us a talk on her work and Ive honestly it was just hot air. At the interview I felt like the vast majority of people in the room were from public schools and there was very little diversity (other than international students). I also know people who did a widening participation thing there and they basically were told not to even bother applying. I dunno, CSM suffers a little for being so big and I think I wouldnt like being surrounded by fashion students! Arrgggggghhhh - who knows, dont envy you the decision, make sure it makes you happy! I knew Id made the right decision when every time I thought of going to Camberwell I got a big grin on my face!
Reply 6
Yeah, at first I thought of camberwell or chelsea, i graduated in a fashion design course and I don´t want to work with it anymore cause i´m very unhappy with it, and I didnt thought of csm at first because i didnt want to be close to the fashion design enviroment hahah i kinda wanna get away! haha...I gave up on camberwell because someone told me it was more a kind of "doing" course, and I intend to develop projects that are not always concret like a sculpture od drawing, more of a interaction projects, so I decided look for the others, but in the end I think each one has its great qualitie,I just need to find out which suits me more! thank you!
Original post by KED
It was a vibe I got when I went round the degree show at Chelsea, one of the students gave us a talk on her work and Ive honestly it was just hot air. At the interview I felt like the vast majority of people in the room were from public schools and there was very little diversity (other than international students). I also know people who did a widening participation thing there and they basically were told not to even bother applying. I dunno, CSM suffers a little for being so big and I think I wouldnt like being surrounded by fashion students! Arrgggggghhhh - who knows, dont envy you the decision, make sure it makes you happy! I knew Id made the right decision when every time I thought of going to Camberwell I got a big grin on my face!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending