The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

CSM, Chelsea or Camberwell for BA Fine art

I’ve been offered a place for BA fine art at csm, chelsea and camberwell (painting) however i’m finding it hard to decide between each ual college.

I love the whole painting idea with Camberwell as my work isn’t typically very conceptual. I also like that you get your own studio space. The biggest negative is the area.

In terms of chelsea, it’s in a much better area however i’ve heard that you don’t get your own studio space and that it can be difficult to book out facilities.

i’m still quite unsure about csm. its one of the bigger names out of the 3, but it’s been given a lot of bad rep (student satisfaction/dark studio spaces). On the other hand, the area is lovely (but expensive…)

is anyone able to share a bit about their experience so far? :smile:
I also got an offer from camberwell (sculpture) and Chelsea for fine art
I didn't try csm for fine art because from what I heard they are the best in fashion or design related courses not fine art necessarily. you have to check how are the studio spaces, seems like there is an overall dissatisfaction with the studio space there.
I have friends who did camberwell and they loved it and are doing well in their careers.
it depends on what type of work do you do. did you go to their open days or end of year shows?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I also got an offer from camberwell (sculpture) and Chelsea for fine art
I didn't try csm for fine art because from what I heard they are the best in fashion or design related courses not fine art necessarily. you have to check how are the studio spaces, seems like there is an overall dissatisfaction with the studio space there.
I have friends who did camberwell and they loved it and are doing well in their careers.
it depends on what type of work do you do. did you go to their open days or end of year shows?

that’s good to know about camberwell! my work is very painterly however i do tend to experiment with lots of different materials. i did express this in my interview and it sounds like they embrace that at camberwell.

i have been to any open days yet, which is making this a lot harder! i’m planning on going to chelsea on one of the next dates. i emailed camberwell and they said they would be holding an offer holder day in april to look around/meet tutors.

how are your friends finding the location of camberwell?
most of the friends who studied at camberwell still lives in the area, around Peckham/camberwell/new cross
I lived in Peckham for a while very close to camberwell and I really enjoyed it. there is a lot of young people in the area as there is also goldsmiths in new cross. the area its not clean and beautiful or fancy like Chelsea and csm but the rent is cheaper.
im also in between courses from both colleges but I haven't visited either the places so I will be going to visit soon as well.
I've heard good things from both to be honest. but if your main medium is painting perhaps camberwell has more to offer.
I recommend going to the open days, talk to people and get the general vibe from there. check the tutors from each college and see if their work style resonates with you. also try to see the final year show from each of the places to give you an overall idea of what the students been producing too.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
most of the friends who studied at camberwell still lives in the area, around Peckham/camberwell/new cross
I lived in Peckham for a while very close to camberwell and I really enjoyed it. there is a lot of young people in the area as there is also goldsmiths in new cross. the area its not clean and beautiful or fancy like Chelsea and csm but the rent is cheaper.
im also in between courses from both colleges but I haven't visited either the places so I will be going to visit soon as well.
I've heard good things from both to be honest. but if your main medium is painting perhaps camberwell has more to offer.
I recommend going to the open days, talk to people and get the general vibe from there. check the tutors from each college and see if their work style resonates with you. also try to see the final year show from each of the places to give you an overall idea of what the students been producing too.

thanks so much, i’ll definitely take that on board :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending