The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by isp
That is the only proof you need to know

Are you sure that we don't need to prove the sine and cosine rules? Why is it in the textbook then? :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 221
Great, fallen ill 2 days before the ****ing exam...
Reply 222
Original post by Arsey
Yeah prob

Just that one

Just one that requires a bit of thought, knowledge of circle thms and trig

Hey could you get a differentiation question on SA/Volume of a Cone
Reply 223
Can someone list all the formulas that we need to know/not provided.. Much appreciated before hand :smile:
Reply 224
Someone posted just such as thing a page or too ago.
Original post by 0range
Great, fallen ill 2 days before the ****ing exam...

Lots of soup and plenty of rest. Hope you feel better soon! :smile:
Reply 226
Original post by QwertyG
Hey could you get a differentiation question on SA/Volume of a Cone

yes, there was one in a past paper
Reply 227
Original post by Putch1
Are you sure that we don't need to prove the sine and cosine rules? Why is it in the textbook then? :frown:

yes I am sure

calculus from 1st principles is in the text book too but that sure as hell isn't going to be on the exam.
Reply 228
@Arsey thank you =)

will this paper be hard
http://edexcelmaths-alevel-mts.blogspot.co.uk/

Helpful blog, but does not have all the C2 content!
Original post by bijesh12
http://edexcelmaths-alevel-mts.blogspot.co.uk/

Helpful blog, but does not have all the C2 content!

can i ask for binomial if they for example say (3-x)power n and find n how do we do that?
Reply 232
Original post by otrivine
will this paper be hard

For some reason, I think this paper will be harder than normal I can't speak for Mechanics, but the applied modules were so easy in comparison to recent years, and my friends who did mechanics agree. I mean S1, bar one question, was pretty easy on the scale of things, so I don't think that they'll let us off easy on C2. This is of course all speculation, but I don't know...

Can you please explain the neg? All I was doing was giving my honest opinion on what I think the paper's going to be like...
(edited 11 years ago)
can i ask for binomial if they for example say (3-x)power n and find n how do we do that?

N is just used in the example as a constant I would think.

But say you had 3^(n-2)•x and they told you that the coefficient of the x term was equal to 27, I would set 3^(n-2) equal to 27 and take logs.
But I doubt they'd do such a thing. Dunno how good of an example that was I just made it up :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

for that, you would need to make the expansion in the form of (1 + x)^n.. so
in that case you'd have to take 3 out of the bracket so it would be come 3(1 - 1/3x)^n..

You'd expanding (1 - 1/3x)^n.. and then multiply the expansion by 3. i will send you an example step by step if you want.
Reply 235
Hey Arsey, what kind of Geometric Series are you predicting this year? One in context or a simple one?

Also, is simultaneous equations in terms of logarithms likely to appear?
Reply 236
Hey everyone, i've got 2 questions
1. for the differentiation questions when it refers to a shape such as a cuboid etc, will the part a part always be a "show that" type of question, e.g. show that the surface area of this shape is 300/x + 2x. will you sometimes not give the surface area, and you have to conjure it up yourself. I only ask because sometimes i really struggle with getting to equation myself, and obviously if I can't do that then I can't do the rest of the question, so is it almost guarunteed that it will be a "show that"?? really worried about this.

2. how do you know when you can't just integrate directly under the curve between 2 limits to find the area, some questions you have to find the area of a triangle/rectangle and then find a small proportion of the area under the curve. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but these questions still throw me off course a little bit? so how do you know what to do?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 237
Original post by xxZazxx
Hey everyone, i've got 2 questions
1. for the differentiation questions when it refers to a shape such as a cuboid etc, will the part a part always be a "show that" type of question, e.g. show that the surface area of this shape is 300/x + 2x. will you sometimes not give the surface area, and you have to conjure it up yourself. I only ask because sometimes i really struggle with getting to equation myself, and obviously if I can't do that then I can't do the rest of the question, so is it almost guarunteed that it will be a "show that"?? really worried about this.

2. how do you know when you can't just integrate directly under the curve between 2 limits to find the area, some questions you have to find the area of a triangle/rectangle and then find a small proportion of the area under the curve. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but these questions still throw me off course a little bit? so how do you know what to do?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Generally, yeah they'll ask you to prove that the area is equal to something, so you have to use elimination to get the marks.
Be careful to read the questions thoroughly though, there was a past paper question were it said 'the area for an open top cuboid', and a lot of people didn't read the 'open top' part and lost the marks.

And it depends on the question, if you have two curves and need to find the area within given limits, then yeah you'll have to either find the area of a triangle/work out the area of one integrated curve and take it from the area of another.

Does that kinda clear it up?
Reply 238
Original post by Larry31
For some reason, I think this paper will be harder than normal I can't speak for Mechanics, but the applied modules were so easy in comparison to recent years, and my friends who did mechanics agree. I mean S1, bar one question, was pretty easy on the scale of things, so I don't think that they'll let us off easy on C2. This is of course all speculation, but I don't know...

I agree, I think the paper will be harder mainly because the June 2011 was so easy and somehow it tends to fluctuate. But one can never know :P
Reply 239
For geometric series, how do you know when to use a(r^n-1) / r-1 or a(1-r^n) / 1-r ??

Is there a rule for using a certain one?

Latest

Trending

Trending