The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit Love Through the Ages June 2012 EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ngunya
Love in the Time of Cholera by any chance?!?

no but i want to read that! chronicle of a death foretold
Original post by annaelizabeth26
this is my problem! can someone please explain to me how important context is.. I don't know my romantics from my metaphysical poets and it's throwing me :frown:

Just say there from different time periods and link t to anything within that :P we did a mock an it was persuasion and captain correli and my friend made a link that it was an industrial time and the changeto urbanism could be the reason for the form and then used the bloody chamber by carter and the rainbow by Lawrence to demonstrate the bringing forth of the industrial age
Reply 182
My main problem for this exam is knowing what to say in my head, but not being able to express it on paper! I think we're all getting worried about this exam because it's so subjective, but if we all just go in and tell ourselves we can do it, we'll boss it :wink:

Just a bit of advice, my teacher told us to not panic if we don't fully understand the text, but instead we should pick out key things and look at how this impacts on meaning :smile:

On the plus side, if we all fail, grade boundaries will be lower :biggrin:

Good luck everyone!
Reply 183
Why do some people know what mark they've got in their coursework already?? At my college, noone is allowed their coursework mark until reults day in August so everyone's going into the exam not having a clue how they've done in their coursework whatsoever. Is everyone else in this same situation??
Original post by Sirrod
Why do some people know what mark they've got in their coursework already?? At my college, noone is allowed their coursework mark until reults day in August so everyone's going into the exam not having a clue how they've done in their coursework whatsoever. Is everyone else in this same situation??

My school is a little weird as they've decided to tell some of us what we got, but not others (or maybe they're just disorganised :tongue:).

On a separate note, does anyone know if coursework has been moderated now? I just want to be sure that my mark can't change :colondollar:
We were told our coursework grades? That's how I know I need 97 UMS in the exam... But they haven't been moderated yet so of course there's room for change. Our teacher is quite a harsh marker anyway so hopefully they won't put us down...
Original post by lovelydarling
We were told our coursework grades? That's how I know I need 97 UMS in the exam... But they haven't been moderated yet so of course there's room for change. Our teacher is quite a harsh marker anyway so hopefully they won't put us down...

This is what I'm banking on. My teacher said they've never had a mark change after moderation before, so hopefully this year will be no different.

Wait, how did you find out your UMS mark from the raw one? My teacher just told me both, so I took his word for it :s-smilie:
What did people do for their coursework?

My essay was "Compare the ways in which the authors present the female characters. To what extent is their drive towards self-determination presented as destructive in Othello, a Doll’s House and The Miller’s Tale? "
I was told by my teacher that my UMS score so far was 223 and that included all of AS and my Extended Essay Coursework. I think my raw mark for my coursework was about 53/60?
I was told by my teacher that my UMS score so far was 223 and that included all of AS and my Extended Essay Coursework. I think my raw mark for my coursework was about 53/60?

I think that coursework is out of 70, not 60 :confused: I did 'Compare and contrast the presentation of marriage in 'Much Ado About Nothing', 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre''
Reply 191
Sorry this is kind of random but the periods/eras seem to overlap each other for example, shakespeare is in the Rennaissance, Elizabethan and Jacobean times, so how would you put this in the exam just choose one or are the Elizabethan and Jacobean times part of the Rennaissance because I know the rennaissance is more of a cultural movement? (wikipedia ;D ) Also, when you get your unseen texts, should you try to link them to WR in the same era or does it matter? Finally, can you link your WR to another WR for example link poetry and prose lets say both othello and Heathcliff are described in bestial terms whereas unseen text is/isn't? sorry if thats confusing? Hope you can help! :smile:
Original post by NaomiHope
Sorry this is kind of random but the periods/eras seem to overlap each other for example, shakespeare is in the Rennaissance, Elizabethan and Jacobean times, so how would you put this in the exam just choose one or are the Elizabethan and Jacobean times part of the Rennaissance because I know the rennaissance is more of a cultural movement? (wikipedia ;D ) Also, when you get your unseen texts, should you try to link them to WR in the same era or does it matter? Finally, can you link your WR to another WR for example link poetry and prose lets say both othello and Heathcliff are described in bestial terms whereas unseen text is/isn't? sorry if thats confusing? Hope you can help! :smile:

As in say "The male protagonist in the extract is presented as caring and sensitive towards women, this contrats with the presentation of men in other wider reading extracts for example Othello as he is descirbed as beastial throughout the play and heathcliff in wuthering heights".....if that's the type of thing it should be alright :biggrin:

And if you're off with an era like if it's shakespeare and you say Jacobean but it's one of the one's from the Elizabethan you won't lose marks and you'd probably still get the mark for contextualising it. :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by retrodisco666
As in say "The male protagonist in the extract is presented as caring and sensitive towards women, this contrats with the presentation of men in other wider reading extracts for example Othello as he is descirbed as beastial throughout the play and heathcliff in wuthering heights".....if that's the type of thing it should be alright :biggrin:

And if you're off with an era like if it's shakespeare and you say Jacobean but it's one of the one's from the Elizabethan you won't lose marks and you'd probably still get the mark for contextualising it. :smile:

Great! Thanks! You've put my mind at rest! I'm soo scared! Best of luck if you're taking it! :biggrin:
Great! Thanks! You've put my mind at rest! I'm soo scared! Best of luck if you're taking it! :biggrin:

Yeah i am for the sole reason of i enjoy writing the essays :biggrin:
Original post by confused dot com
I think that coursework is out of 70, not 60 :confused: I did 'Compare and contrast the presentation of marriage in 'Much Ado About Nothing', 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre''

Yeah it is sorry, the spec says it is out of 70. UMS marks are out of 80.

I did 'Compare and Contrast the presentation of physical love in 'The Miller's Tale', 'Romeo & Juliet' and 'Lady Chatterley's Lover'' - raised a few eyebrows! :wink:
Yeah it is sorry, the spec says it is out of 70. UMS marks are out of 80.

I did 'Compare and Contrast the presentation of physical love in 'The Miller's Tale', 'Romeo & Juliet' and 'Lady Chatterley's Lover'' - raised a few eyebrows! :wink:

That title actually seems like an interesting discussion point!
Reply 197
Original post by retrodisco666
Yeah i am for the sole reason of i enjoy writing the essays :biggrin:

Haha! Really? Have you taken it before? I HATE exams! I'm much better at CW! :biggrin:
Original post by confused dot com
That title actually seems like an interesting discussion point!

Yeah it was! I really enjoyed writing it actually.
From what I remember, I wrote about the relationship between physical love and true love, physical love as in beauty (as in R&J) and physical love as in raw sexual attraction (Miller's Tale and Lady Chat) and whether a lasting relationship can be based on physical love.
Give me coursework over exams any day.
Haha! Really? Have you taken it before? I HATE exams! I'm much better at CW! :biggrin:

Yeah our school enters us in January so we can get a feel for it and stuff. It is a fun exam :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending