The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature NEA Help!!!

I have decided to compare The Yellow Wallpaper with a 20th century book for my English Literature NEA...but I am SO stuck on what to choose for this second text. I can't find anything online that really fits the themes within TYW and has also been written in the 1900s. Anyone got any ideas? It would be much appreciated.
Hi - I took my AQA English Lit exam in June and received a good (though unmoderated) mark for my NEA.

Having read last year's examiner's report I'd exercise caution with The Yellow Wallpaper. I too was considering using it, but from what AQA have said there its brevity could actually work against you if you don't focus enough on it as a literary work.

As long as it has some level of respect in the literary canon, the sky is the limit. What's more is that there might be scope for higher marks if you compare different genres or forms, such as prose and drama. Overall, just remember it needs to be a "perceptive and assured" essay for Band 5.

You have lots of time so don't panic - it sounds difficult now but just enjoy writing it!
Reply 2
Henrik Ibsen’s the Dollshouse was a comparison that my teacher suggested to people in my class considering the Yellow Wallpaper in terms of the position of the women but this is a very common comparison so may harm your chances at getting a high level. You could try googling the theme you were considering looking at and seeing what other texts come up.
Reply 3
Hiya! I’ve just completed my AQA english lit A-Level so feel I could help considering my NEA was also on ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’. I decided to compare it with ‘Enduring Love’ by Ian McEwan and looked at how men are victims rather than their female counterparts (I wanted to be controversial and have a strong counter argument as well as a strong main focus....I did do mine early year 12 though sooo... 😂). My teachers suggested the ‘Bell Jar’ by Sylvia Plath as another that could be compared with ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’, though these were just suggestions and nothing absolute :biggrin:
[QUOTE="10cking;78738684"]Hiya! I’ve just completed my AQA english lit A-Level so feel I could help considering my NEA was also on ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’. I decided to compare it with ‘Enduring Love’ by Ian McEwan and looked at how men are victims rather than their female counterparts (I wanted to be controversial and have a strong counter argument as well as a strong main focus....I did do mine early year 12 though sooo... 😂). My teachers suggested the ‘Bell Jar’ by Sylvia Plath as another that could be compared with ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’, though these were just suggestions and nothing absolute :biggrin:[/QUO
Original post by 10cking
Hiya! I’ve just completed my AQA english lit A-Level so feel I could help considering my NEA was also on ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’. I decided to compare it with ‘Enduring Love’ by Ian McEwan and looked at how men are victims rather than their female counterparts (I wanted to be controversial and have a strong counter argument as well as a strong main focus....I did do mine early year 12 though sooo... 😂). My teachers suggested the ‘Bell Jar’ by Sylvia Plath as another that could be compared with ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’, though these were just suggestions and nothing absolute :biggrin:

Thank you! I will have a look at Enduring Love, I’ve heard of Ian McEwan so could be good! My school have also suggested the Bell Jar but because this is on AQA’s recommendations it’s been strongly recommended I don’t use this with TYW and instead choose something else. Thanks for your help! x
Original post by OpenStrings
Hi - I took my AQA English Lit exam in June and received a good (though unmoderated) mark for my NEA.

Having read last year's examiner's report I'd exercise caution with The Yellow Wallpaper. I too was considering using it, but from what AQA have said there its brevity could actually work against you if you don't focus enough on it as a literary work.

As long as it has some level of respect in the literary canon, the sky is the limit. What's more is that there might be scope for higher marks if you compare different genres or forms, such as prose and drama. Overall, just remember it needs to be a "perceptive and assured" essay for Band 5.

You have lots of time so don't panic - it sounds difficult now but just enjoy writing it!

Thank you so much! I agree I’m a bit dubious about using TYW. I was possibly thinking of doing Jekyll and Hyde and The Woman in Black, looking at the representation of the villains? What do you think?
Original post by Catherine2000
Thank you so much! I agree I’m a bit dubious about using TYW. I was possibly thinking of doing Jekyll and Hyde and The Woman in Black, looking at the representation of the villains? What do you think?

Sorry for the wait.

I am no expert but that sounds great to me. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a GCSE set text when I did mine, and though I don't know if it is now, it might require some really thorough analysis to prove to the examiner that it's an A-Level piece of work.

I think their requirements for texts are "sufficient weight for A-level study", to paraphrase. Would be worth emailing your teacher.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with suggestions for a comparative question. my two texts are 'brave new world' and crime and punishment. Many thanks and greatly appreciated.

my texts have the same themes of violence, suffering and drugs/alcohol.
Reply 8
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath could be one to check out, especially within the ideas of gender and sanity?
Reply 9
Original post by diwwest
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath could be one to check out, especially within the ideas of gender and sanity?

Im doing that for mine right now but i need it proof read or ideas to layout.
guys i desperately need some help i am FREAKING out
i was going through my NEA (english lang and lit) and i noticed that i made a mistake
i wrote descriptive noun instead of descriptive adjective and i want the A* so i am extremely upset about this
does anyone know if it’s a big deal ?
Reply 11
Hi I am considering of doing my NEA on Obsession and how it can lead to mental instability and madness. I am thinking of Lolita but I am not sure for the other option. I am doing AQA. Does anyone have an idea for the second text I could compare Lolita to?

I have to let my teacher know my decision by Tuesday, so any help would be great thanks!
Original post by gea05
Hi I am considering of doing my NEA on Obsession and how it can lead to mental instability and madness. I am thinking of Lolita but I am not sure for the other option. I am doing AQA. Does anyone have an idea for the second text I could compare Lolita to?

I have to let my teacher know my decision by Tuesday, so any help would be great thanks!

The yellow wallpaper would be a great text for obsession leading to madness and instability, the narrator becomes obsesssed with the yellow wallpaper and begins to go mad as she hallucinates and sees pictures on the wallpaper, lmk if you need help i did my essay on it too!
Hi I would love to read your essay if that's okay? Thank you
Reply 14
Original post by yummytaehyung
The yellow wallpaper would be a great text for obsession leading to madness and instability, the narrator becomes obsesssed with the yellow wallpaper and begins to go mad as she hallucinates and sees pictures on the wallpaper, lmk if you need help i did my essay on it too!

what second book did you do?

Im currently doing my AQA coursework as well! I am at around 2700 words so about 10% to cut according to the 2500 word limit set by the examboard. Do you know if there is a certain % we can go over without getting points marked off? Or is it a must to stick to the 2500 word limit? Thanks!

Im currently doing my AQA coursework as well! I am at around 2700 words so about 10% to cut according to the 2500 word limit set by the examboard. Do you know if we can go over the word limit a bit without getting points marked off? Or is it a must to stick to the 2500 word limit? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending