The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit Love Through the Ages June 2012 EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confused dot com
Great, thanks :biggrin: I've just been reading an essay that got an A* last year and for question 1, she seems to just analyse aspects of the extracts rather than have a specific direction (e.g. instead of exploring forbidden love of transient love in each paragraph, the girl just wrote about how dialogue gives the text a 'voyeuristic quality' or how 'free indirect discourse' enables readers to empathise with characters). This confused me a little as I thought we were meant to be addressing love as a broad umbrella topic in the first question, or is it okay to just analyse and compare the texts as it seems she has done :confused:

There are many different ways of skinning the English Lit cat. Also, tbh, some of the scripts we got back from the board last year which got full marks seem to have been very generously rewarded, so take comfort from that. You don't have to be perfect. This syllabus is a legacy of the old AEB 660 syllabus, albeit a quite distant relative by now, and the philosophy of that exam was to reward what students do do, rather than penalise them for what they don't. I don't mark this exam, but I do attend the moderation meetings for coursework standardisation and it's still very much the ethos of those meetings. Don't panic. Panic is your enemy. You need a cool clear head and to form your own line of argument which you follow logically. Chances are, if you are saying something intelligent, it'll get rewarded.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
There are many different ways of skinning the English Lit cat. Also, tbh, some of the scripts we got back from the board last year which got full marks seem to have been very generously rewarded, so take comfort from that. You don't have to be perfect. This syllabus is a legacy of the old AEB 660 syllabus, albeit a quite distant relative by now, and the philosophy of that exam was to reward what students do do, rather than penalise them for what they don't. I don't mark this exam, but I do attend the moderation meetings for coursework standardisation and it's still very much the ethos of those meetings. Don't panic. Panic is your enemy. You need a cool clear head and to form your own line of argument which you follow logically. Chances are, if you are saying something intelligent, it'll get rewarded.

Okay, I guess I'll just attempt to make links based on different aspects of love initially then just analyse what I can if there isn't enough content for a whole essay. Just need to brush up on my quotes and historical contexts now :/
Reply 42
hey guys! i'm just revising for this exam hardcore and i've come to the conclusion that it might definitely be drama drama for Q1. I don't necessarily have zilch to say about analysing a drama text but it would be useful if someone could give me useful tips on how to approach an unseen drama text! :smile:
thank you to whoever replies.
Reply 43
I am so scared for this exam; I need an A, but I just seem to lose it when writing and I panic.
I am petrified of my wider reading being too superfluous as opposed to accurate. Help :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by KHagan17
I am so scared for this exam; I need an A, but I just seem to lose it when writing and I panic.
I am petrified of my wider reading being too superfluous as opposed to accurate. Help :frown:

Why do you think that is? is it because you only have a few WR pieces?

the worst thing you can do is panic, just try to keep your mind focused on the two unseen extracts and spend your planning time wisely!! that should help you clear your thoughts. I personally prefer to plan on the sheets with the extract because them I am able to quickly reference specific bits from the texts and helps me focus on them as opposed to going on a tangent about WR.

good luck and i'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by evelynevelyn
Why do you think that is? is it because you only have a few WR pieces?

the worst thing you can do is panic, just try to keep your mind focused on the two unseen extracts and spend your planning time wisely!! that should help you clear your thoughts. I personally prefer to plan on the sheets with the extract because them I am able to quickly reference specific bits from the texts and helps me focus on them as opposed to going on a tangent about WR.

good luck and i'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

thank you :smile: And not really, I'm just scared I won't be able to relate to any of it, so instead of enhancing my argument it makes it sound rubbish :/ sorry I phrased what I said previously wrong! Maybe I am just panicking?
Is English lit hard as an AS/A-level, planning on doing it in September :smile:
I find it so hard to know how to prepare for this exam. I'm getting weighed down by the amount of wider reading I have got, and now when it comes to selecting quotes I just don't know which ones to learn! I don't think you can ever predict if you'll be able to use a certain quote... With regard to the time/context in which the wr pieces were written, how much emphasis is supposed to be placed on this? I'm not sure how I would go about integrating that type of information into an essay. In my class, we've all been given the script of a girl last year who got full marks on the second question, yet she didn't refer to any of her wider reading in novels throughout- Just goes to show how unreliable this type of exam is!

I have a feeling it may be drama for the 1st question too :frown: I suppose you would mention tone, meter, use of stage directions, and if characters are placed [aside], how this introduces a sense of the clandestine to the piece. I think it's important to make sure it sounds as though you are writing about a play as a play- so I'm planning to use terms such as '...creates a tableau on stage' '...would make full use of the stage, in order to bring the play to life' etc...!

Does anybody have any quotes/points for Miller's 'A view from the Bridge'? I studied this at GCSE but now feel that it could be of some use! Thank you in advance to anybody who replies!
Chaucer is poetry. The focus must be on the texts on the paper and a ratio of 70% analysis of the extracts and 30% wider reading is a good balance to aim for. Remember to cover each genre once across the paper, but don't overdo it. A couple of really relevant, focused WR extracts tied in closely to the extracts is all you really need. You can make connections in any way you feel is relevant, but ensure at some point that you make comments about form and structure as well as theme. The WR extract is as good a place to do this as any, since you can choose something that either compares or contrasts with the texts on the paper. If you use too much wider reading, you are avoiding the kind of deeper analysis which you need to be doing to get the marks.

Thank you for your help! Hopefully how to link the wider reading will just come to me on the day! :biggrin:
Original post by never too late
I find it so hard to know how to prepare for this exam. I'm getting weighed down by the amount of wider reading I have got, and now when it comes to selecting quotes I just don't know which ones to learn! I don't think you can ever predict if you'll be able to use a certain quote... With regard to the time/context in which the wr pieces were written, how much emphasis is supposed to be placed on this? I'm not sure how I would go about integrating that type of information into an essay. In my class, we've all been given the script of a girl last year who got full marks on the second question, yet she didn't refer to any of her wider reading in novels throughout- Just goes to show how unreliable this type of exam is!

I have a feeling it may be drama for the 1st question too :frown: I suppose you would mention tone, meter, use of stage directions, and if characters are placed [aside], how this introduces a sense of the clandestine to the piece. I think it's important to make sure it sounds as though you are writing about a play as a play- so I'm planning to use terms such as '...creates a tableau on stage' '...would make full use of the stage, in order to bring the play to life' etc...!

Does anybody have any quotes/points for Miller's 'A view from the Bridge'? I studied this at GCSE but now feel that it could be of some use! Thank you in advance to anybody who replies!

'You want somethin' else, Eddie, and you can never have her.' (Or words to that effect.) Not currently at home, but I think Beatrice says this near/at the end. You'll be fine!
Can 'sexual love' be considered a theme?
(edited 11 years ago)
Can 'sexual love' be considered a theme?

Of course.
Reply 52
i will be freaking out about this exam this time next year.
Of course.

Okay, so as a lot of my WR looks at sex, would presenting it as sexual love instead link it more closely to the theme of 'Love Through the Ages' or is that too much of a stretch (sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just really nervous about this exam :colondollar:)
Reply 54
How is everyone revising for this exam, are you all looking at thematic links or literary techniques for WR?
Original post by Choppyy
How is everyone revising for this exam, are you all looking at thematic links or literary techniques for WR?

Both. I'm just listing the quotes and points about FSL that I might use and analysing them as I go so it's like I've got a skeleton of each paragraph. It also makes it easier to make links between texts.
Okay, so as a lot of my WR looks at sex, would presenting it as sexual love instead link it more closely to the theme of 'Love Through the Ages' or is that too much of a stretch (sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just really nervous about this exam :colondollar:)

I think you might be overthinking this a bit. Love takes many forms; romantic, sexual, platonic, parental, etc. All of them have happend throughout the ages. Have your teachers told you that sex doesn't count as love or that it didn't happen in years gone by? How to screw up your class!
Original post by Choppyy

You need to look at both, because you don't know what the most appropriate link is going to be. Remember, though, that you can contrast as well as compare.
Reply 58
You need to look at both, because you don't know what the most appropriate link is going to be. Remember, though, that you can contrast as well as compare.

So would you suggest making a table with various forms of love and listing, for each genre, different texts with FSL points and also doing a separate table with literary techniques from each genre? Or is this OTT for 13/40 marks?

Also, what would you suggest the main several forms of love in literature are? Thanks for your help!
I think you might be overthinking this a bit. Love takes many forms; romantic, sexual, platonic, parental, etc. All of them have happend throughout the ages. Have your teachers told you that sex doesn't count as love or that it didn't happen in years gone by? How to screw up your class!

Yeah, when I was doing a practice paper, my teacher said that sex and marriage don't count as forms of love and that I should focus on more specific themes like forbidden love or transient love. It kind of threw me off as sex and marriage are both really prevalent themes in a lot of the texts I've come across.

Maybe I'll just tackle it indirectly, e.g. Keats presents love as a highly sexual relationship rather than an emotional one or how marriage and love are presented as mutually exclusive in Jane Eyre. Hopefully that'll cover it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending