The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit Love Through the Ages June 2012 EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viix
Didn't the question say the separation of lovers and the CONSEQUENCES? It didn't say the consequences had to relate to lovers, hence why extract C focused on the strain in relationship between Mary and her father. A consequence of the separation...

Exactly and I made sure my topic sentences included this xD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Honestly, hard as it is to believe, the examiners do want you to do well :smile: I'm sure that various interpretations will be fine as long as you linked it to the question in some way and didn't make up something completely wild and unsubstantiated, without some form of decent evidence - ie. Mary is clearly a lesbian because she doesn't get on with her dad.
Reply 582
The first question was definitely harder than the second. That's the one I'm worrying about the most!

As for Lord Byron's poem, I think I interpreted it incorrectly- I suggested that the speaker was in love with the woman at first, then after they parted he resented her and regretted ever being with her?
I feel I will drop a lot of marks on Byron's poem as I ran out of time and didn't get to analyse it correctly. This appears to be a good analysis, very different to what I wrote (I didn't even mention rhyme scheme!!)
http://www.gradesaver.com/lord-byrons-poems/study-guide/section2/
My points of comparison for Q1 were:
-There was a shift of who had control of the situation and linking it to Antony and Cleo
-The characters had trouble communicating (Lenny and Ruth) vs. the other text in which they could communicate, and linked it to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Brick and Maggie unable to communicate, lots of pauses, like in The Homecoming)
-Richard tried to woo Ann romantically, whereas Ruth used erotic imagery.

Q2:
-Use of the environment to show the consequences of the seperation of love and linked that to Mariana by Tennyson
-The abab rhyme scheme (the rhymes were seperated by another line kind of thing :s-smilie:)
-the omniscient narrator in The Rector's daughter
-seperation is destructive and linked it to Wuthering Heights.

This was a nasty exam!
Original post by tashazzz
I feel I will drop a lot of marks on Byron's poem as I ran out of time and didn't get to analyse it correctly. This appears to be a good analysis, very different to what I wrote (I didn't even mention rhyme scheme!!)
http://www.gradesaver.com/lord-byrons-poems/study-guide/section2/

Exactly what happened to me! I thought Q1 was much harder, but probably ended up doing better on it because I spent so much time on it, leaving me short for Q2 :/
Reply 586
Original post by carnationlilyrose

Hi, sorry to bother you but I'm desperate to know how I did yesterday - basically in Q2 I forgot to mention a novel in my WR references, but mentioned 2 poems. How much do you reckon this penalise me by? Also, in Q1 I sort of lost my way and decided to compare the plays individually (in the latter half of my essay) - again, how will this impact on my final mark,in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Choppyy
Hi, sorry to bother you but I'm desperate to know how I did yesterday - basically in Q2 I forgot to mention a novel in my WR references, but mentioned 2 poems. How much do you reckon this penalise me by? Also, in Q1 I sort of lost my way and decided to compare the plays individually (in the latter half of my essay) - again, how will this impact on my final mark,in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, try to calm down and not catastrophise. I doubt that things are as bad as you are thinking - they rarely are. It's probably not a good idea to hang around on this thread if you're in a shaky frame of mind. Other people are also seeking to reassure themselves that they have done well and this sometimes has the effect of making others feel worse.

As far as missing the wider reading novel out, this is what the mark scheme from last year has to say about the matter:

Wider reading
Note
References to wider reading in any genre should be credited. Do check that, by the end of
the second answer, the candidate has included (across both answers) at least one reference
to wider reading from prose, drama and poetry. If a reference to a genre is not included,
take this into account when you award the mark.

Note that it doesn't say anything about how much weight is given to the fact. The rule we apply at our school, based on information gleaned over the years from various chief examiners, is that the mark drops to the bottom of the band the answer is in. It will depend on what the examiner thinks of the rest of your answer, I think, and no one on here can say anything about that because we have not and can not read it.

As far as Q1 goes, I assume that you mean you stopped comparing the extracts to each other and analysed them on their own. Once again, it will depend on the quality of that analysis as to how much you lose. Here's last year's mark scheme again:

How to mark
Examiners assess each answer out of 40. Remember that in this subject you will find that
candidates often have varying profiles across the skill areas – a Band 4 candidate may well
write a Band 2 paragraph, just as a Band 1 candidate may produce a glimmer of a
conceptualised approach in one sentence. You should use the criteria across the four
assessment objectives to determine which band best fits the answer.
Having identified the band, refine the mark. Begin in the middle of the band, then move up or
down according to the candidate’s achievement. When you have the total mark, conduct a
review to ensure that the whole answer has been given sufficient credit.
Examiners should be open-minded as they read the candidates’ responses. Although the
mark scheme provides some indicators for what candidates might write about, examiners must
be willing to reward what is actually there – this mark scheme does not pretend to be all inclusive.
No candidate should be penalised for failing to make certain points.
While examiners should note glaring factual errors and gross misreadings, they should be
open to the candidates’ individual interpretations. Well-argued and well-substantiated views
must receive credit, whether or not the examiner agrees with those views. Remain flexible
when a candidate introduces unusual or unorthodox ideas.

Whilst it doesn't mention the comparison failing to be maintained throughout specifically, I think what is clear is that the tenor of the piece is very much to reward what is there, not to penalise what is not. That is certainly the way we have always found the marking to be at our school, and it is definitely the atmosphere you find at coursework standardisation meetings. The examiners know you are under pressure and are not undergraduates. I am not saying that you can write any old rubbish and do well, but it's not the kind of paper where one or two slips will hole it below the waterline. I know you'd like me to give you a concrete ruling on what will happen to you, and of course I can't do that, but I will say that you are very probably worrying over nothing. The full mark answers we have had back from the examiners have been very far from perfect. Try to put it out of your mind. It won't be as bad as you think.:smile:
Firstly, try to calm down and not catastrophise. I doubt that things are as bad as you are thinking - they rarely are. It's probably not a good idea to hang around on this thread if you're in a shaky frame of mind. Other people are also seeking to reassure themselves that they have done well and this sometimes has the effect of making others feel worse.

As far as missing the wider reading novel out, this is what the mark scheme from last year has to say about the matter:

Wider reading
Note
References to wider reading in any genre should be credited. Do check that, by the end of
the second answer, the candidate has included (across both answers) at least one reference
to wider reading from prose, drama and poetry. If a reference to a genre is not included,

Note that it doesn't say anything about how much weight is given to the fact. The rule we apply at our school, based on information gleaned over the years from various chief examiners, is that the mark drops to the bottom of the band the answer is in. It will depend on what the examiner thinks of the rest of your answer, I think, and no one on here can say anything about that because we have not and can not read it.

As far as Q1 goes, I assume that you mean you stopped comparing the extracts to each other and analysed them on their own. Once again, it will depend on the quality of that analysis as to how much you lose. Here's last year's mark scheme again:

How to mark
Examiners assess each answer out of 40. Remember that in this subject you will find that
candidates often have varying profiles across the skill areas – a Band 4 candidate may well
conceptualised approach in one sentence. You should use the criteria across the four
Having identified the band, refine the mark. Begin in the middle of the band, then move up or
down according to the candidate’s achievement. When you have the total mark, conduct a
Examiners should be open-minded as they read the candidates’ responses. Although the
mark scheme provides some indicators for what candidates might write about, examiners must
be willing to reward what is actually there – this mark scheme does not pretend to be all inclusive.
While examiners should note glaring factual errors and gross misreadings, they should be
open to the candidates’ individual interpretations. Well-argued and well-substantiated views
must receive credit, whether or not the examiner agrees with those views. Remain flexible

Whilst it doesn't mention the comparison failing to be maintained throughout specifically, I think what is clear is that the tenor of the piece is very much to reward what is there, not to penalise what is not. That is certainly the way we have always found the marking to be at our school, and it is definitely the atmosphere you find at coursework standardisation meetings. The examiners know you are under pressure and are not undergraduates. I am not saying that you can write any old rubbish and do well, but it's not the kind of paper where one or two slips will hole it below the waterline. I know you'd like me to give you a concrete ruling on what will happen to you, and of course I can't do that, but I will say that you are very probably worrying over nothing. The full mark answers we have had back from the examiners have been very far from perfect. Try to put it out of your mind. It won't be as bad as you think.:smile:

I've talked to my teachers about seeing an E/D grade paper in order to compare its quality to the answer I gave, but they won't take me seriously as I don't think that they understand just how badly I feel I've done. Do you know of any sites where I can get access to example essays as it would really help to put my mind at rest. Thanks in advance!
Original post by confused dot com
I've talked to my teachers about seeing an E/D grade paper in order to compare its quality to the answer I gave, but they won't take me seriously as I don't think that they understand just how badly I feel I've done. Do you know of any sites where I can get access to example essays as it would really help to put my mind at rest. Thanks in advance!

Actually, no, I don't, as we have access to plenty of sample scripts of our own. However, I don't think it would be helpful for you anyway. There are many different ways to do well and to do badly, and from what you have posted on here, I think it would panic you to see anything at all, because it couldn't possibly be the same as yours, and you would assume that meant yours wasn't right! As I said to the poster above, try not to catastrophise. I know there is a lot at stake for you but the marks you have quoted say to me that you are a very able candidate who is very unlikely to suddenly lose the skills which have stood you in good stead so far. Your teachers are not taking you seriously because they know this. I would be the same in their place, on the basis of the evidence you have given me. You don't need to see anyone else's answers. You have given your own and it will be good enough.
Reply 590

Wider reading
Note

How to mark

Thanks for that, although the first examiner comment is a bit worrying as it was probably a high band 3 essay at best - but if its reduced to low band 3 all chances of getting an A* are probably gone.

Can I say, on behalf of everyone on this thread, thank you for the consistent help and support you've given; despite having your own cohort of students to guide through this tricky exam you've given many people on this site (including myself) words of reassurance which really help at such a stressful time for all! Good luck to your students and everyone on this site!
Original post by Choppyy
Thanks for that, although the first examiner comment is a bit worrying as it was probably a high band 3 essay at best - but if its reduced to low band 3 all chances of getting an A* are probably gone.

Can I say, on behalf of everyone on this thread, thank you for the consistent help and support you've given; despite having your own cohort of students to guide through this tricky exam you've given many people on this site (including myself) words of reassurance which really help at such a stressful time for all! Good luck to your students and everyone on this site!

Thank you. That's very kind. As I said before, you are probably worrying over nothing. I look forward to hearing back from you in the summer with news to that effect.:smile:
Reply 592
Original post by confused dot com

It's done now! There's nothing you can do until August although I'm sure you did fine! You didn't pass AS for no reason! You can still pass without including all WR, and if your essay was brilliant aside from that, they'll find it hard to ignore something that happened in a moment of panic! :smile:
Original post by rachbeanz
i linked to the glass menagerie too! but i only did one wider reading link on the first question and that was it. oops

I don't think it's a huge deal, they prefer you to focus on the extracts. Most people think that AO3 is Wider Reading, when in fact it's not exclusively - comparison actually means between the two extracts, Wider Reading should just be brought in to 'illuminate' the extracts.
Original post by ambontoast
I don't think it's a huge deal, they prefer you to focus on the extracts. Most people think that AO3 is Wider Reading, when in fact it's not exclusively - comparison actually means between the two extracts, Wider Reading should just be brought in to 'illuminate' the extracts.

Ok that's good thank you !

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Choppyy

Thanks in advance.

In my AS exam for English Literature I did not refer to all three and I still got an A and in the early entry for January, I didn't refer to all three and still managed to bank a high C, which was alright considering how terrible everyone else did in my year, so I don't think it is that terrible, don't worry too much about it.
Reply 596
Really worried about the results of this, as in question one I made a comparison claiming the Iago's love for Othello was unrequited, and thus they might penalise me for claiming he was homosexual as he's married, but many critics have suggested Iago was gay :/
Original post by swbp
Really worried about the results of this, as in question one I made a comparison claiming the Iago's love for Othello was unrequited, and thus they might penalise me for claiming he was homosexual as he's married, but many critics have suggested Iago was gay :/

It's a common interpretation. You will have to try really, really hard to shock English examiners.
Reply 598
It's a common interpretation. You will have to try really, really hard to shock English examiners.

Thanks for the reaasurance, you've been a real help with this exam. What/where do you study by the way?
Original post by swbp
Thanks for the reaasurance, you've been a real help with this exam. What/where do you study by the way?

I don't study, I teach in a large independent school in the north of England. Taught this spec and its predecessors for 24 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending