The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit Love Through the Ages June 2012 EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
The problem I seem to have is unnaturally shoehorning quotes in just to tick a box. Do you think it's absolutely necessary to quote wider reading and if so how often?

I've heard some say that just describing and comparing a scene or device used in a wider reading text is enough, without direct quotation.
Reply 641
Yeah that would be much better but I think we have to quote it because in band 3 of the mark scheme says "(b) develop relevant wider reading links that are detailed and enhance the candidate's response :no::sigh:
Actually, I've heard that quotes do not have to be used all the time, paraphrasing will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 643
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Actually, I've heard that quotes do not have to be used all the time, paraphrasing will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I was referring to. I hope it's the case, can anyone confirm it?
My teachers have said that paraphrasing is fine as log as you make some reference to wider reading :smile: I've also heard that if you don't either paraphrase, quote or link to wider reading then its not possible to get above a D in the exam :/ which to me seems a bit scary as I'm finding it hard to remember quotes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm definitely a bit short on drama wider reading :erm:
Reply 646
My teacher has given me three responses - two which got full marks and one which got 37/40 and 38/40. The 40/40 mentions no quotes whatsoever for novels or plays, but does for a poem.

It seems poems are where the quotes need to be. With wider reading, I've just made sure I've covered different types of love and maybe affects of love such as jealousy, remembering/regret, irrationality etc etc.

My wider reading is:

Novels - 1984, Color Purple, Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice, Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, On Chesil Beach, Enduring Love.
Plays - Bent, Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, Importance of Being Earnest, Streetcar Named Desire, Doll's House.
Poems - Range really, just made sure I've covered different aspects of love.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 647
So, How did everyone find the exam?
Original post by AdamRook
So, How did everyone find the exam?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2367364

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending