The Student Room Group

The Edexcel M2 (31/05/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Can someone explain me why in jan 2010 paper question 4 ii the angle is 106 and not 74? Really confused on that one. They use the SAME method as i do, but give a different value for the angle, which they mark the same letter too.
Can anyone suggest some difficult coefficient of restitution questions involving a wall to me please?

For some reason I cant do any question like this with a wall in :frown:
Original post by soempty
Can someone explain me why in jan 2010 paper question 4 ii the angle is 106 and not 74? Really confused on that one. They use the SAME method as i do, but give a different value for the angle, which they mark the same letter too.

I haven't looked at it but the fact 106 + 74 = 180 jumps out at me :wink:
This is so bad :s-smilie: Not even finished revising yet, nevermind starting past papers :frown: I really hate this chapter! Our 'teacher' has barely taught us any of it and I didn't even know we were expected to know C3

Can anyone explain why (ucosθ*2usinθ)/9.8 is equal to u^2sin2θ/g please? (This is a show question, and u^2sin2θ/g is the answer you are supposed to get)

Would I just be ok to show that it is equal to each other without any working?
Reply 184
Original post by Jorgeyy
I haven't looked at it but the fact 106 + 74 = 180 jumps out at me :wink:

Thanks it makes everything clear, captain obvious! I noticed it myself, but according to the problem the angle should be 74 and not 106, and i don't understand why 106, it looks like they written it down randomly.
Original post by soempty
Thanks it makes everything clear, captain obvious! I noticed it myself, but according to the problem the angle should be 74 and not 106, and i don't understand why 106, it looks like they written it down randomly.

umad?
Reply 186
Original post by soempty

Make sure you got the vector right, -2.5i - 5 sqrt3 j and then draw the vector itself. Then because you have to work out the angle with respect to the "i" vector (which is always towards the right; positive x axis) it would be 180 - 74.

If you still dont get it, draw a "CAST" graph from C2, that may help or confuse you more... Sorry xD

Original post by Jorgeyy
umad?

^LOL
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by Serpentine111
This is so bad :s-smilie: Not even finished revising yet, nevermind starting past papers :frown: I really hate this chapter! Our 'teacher' has barely taught us any of it and I didn't even know we were expected to know C3

Can anyone explain why (ucosθ*2usinθ)/9.8 is equal to u^2sin2θ/g please? (This is a show question, and u^2sin2θ/g is the answer you are supposed to get)

Would I just be ok to show that it is equal to each other without any working?

I'm in the same boat and I saw a question yesterday where you had to show an equation to be true.

Luckily on the mark scheme it was sufficient to just say that it equaled the final expression (lets just hope if any c3 trig comes up it's in a show that question :tongue:)
Reply 188
Reminder to anyone doing lamina questions - if you use the table method and a shape is cut out, don't forget to subtract the moments, not add!
Reply 189
Original post by Groat
Reminder to anyone doing lamina questions - if you use the table method and a shape is cut out, don't forget to subtract the moments, not add!

xD Did you slip up on a lamina question :dance:

By the way have you got the Jan 2012 Question paper? I think I only ever did the first 3 questions of it and got bored and cant find my printed copy :unimpressed:

EDIT On second thoughts, Its ok I found it :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by dzone25
Make sure you got the vector right, -2.5i - 5 sqrt3 j and then draw the vector itself. Then because you have to work out the angle with respect to the "i" vector (which is always towards the right; positive x axis) it would be 180 - 74.

If you still dont get it, draw a "CAST" graph from C2, that may help or confuse you more... Sorry xD

+_+
But if i draw a picture it clearly shows that angle is 74...
I think if i get such question in exam, i will write exactly opposite of my answer to get it right.
Reply 191
Original post by soempty
+_+
But if i draw a picture it clearly shows that angle is 74...
I think if i get such question in exam, i will write exactly opposite of my answer to get it right.

Oh i see why. Impulse in i direction would be negative... Argh! I feel the shame.
Reply 192
Original post by soempty
Oh i see why. Impulse in i direction would be negative... Argh! I feel the shame.

Yep, Impulse is in negative x direction and negative y so on a graph that would be the bottom left square. Since the "i" is the same as the positive x axis it means its 180 -74

;J
Reply 193
can anyone help me with jan 2010 question 7b)? instead of getting 6 / ( 4 + (20/ 16 + 3π), as it says on the mark scheme, I have it the other way around. i feel like i'm missing something really obvious!
Reply 194
Original post by dzone25
Yep, Impulse is in negative x direction and negative y so on a graph that would be the bottom left square. Since the "i" is the same as the positive x axis it means its 180 -74

;J

WUT? No way it is negative in y direction, if I=mv-mu it would be I=0.25x40xCos30 - 0.
Reply 195
Original post by GnomeyD
can anyone help me with jan 2010 question 7b)? instead of getting 6 / ( 4 + (20/ 16 + 3π), as it says on the mark scheme, I have it the other way around. i feel like i'm missing something really obvious!

"PQ makes with the horizontal..." did that help :P
Reply 196
How do you indicate that a variable e.g. (a, x, b, letters) is a vector quantity? Is it an arrow on top or is it underlined. I can really do bold writing so I can't use that method to indicate a vector.
Reply 197
Original post by dzone25
xD Did you slip up on a lamina question :dance:

By the way have you got the Jan 2012 Question paper? I think I only ever did the first 3 questions of it and got bored and cant find my printed copy :unimpressed:

EDIT On second thoughts, Its ok I found it :P

I didn't slip up, but we haven't had a lamina where a shape has been cut out for a few years, so it could come up!
Reply 198
Original post by soempty
WUT? No way it is negative in y direction, if I=mv-mu it would be I=0.25x40xCos30 - 0.

Dammit I wrote it wrong but did it right o.O

Yeah I think your right it's positive in y, but that doesnt make a difference as its still 180-74 :P
Reply 199
Original post by dzone25
"PQ makes with the horizontal..." did that help :P

I read that in the question originally, but I still don't see where I'm going wrong. I know it's probably something really stupid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending