The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Mark85
Well, no point in terms of it won't directly contribute to muscle growth but seeing as karate is your ultimate goal, it would make sense to stay fit. In fact, for most people a moderate amount of cardio activity through sport or whatever isn't going to mean you have to eat any massive additional amount of food so it shouldn't really be so much of a problem.

I mean "sorry lads, can't come for a kick about cos I'm trying to get me some gainz" isn't going to cut it.

To reduce body fat, you take in slightly less energy than you expend. Continuing to try and gain strength is a good idea since it encourages the body to preserve muscle. Cardio isn't necessarily needed at all depending on the individual since most men are easily able to create a modest calorie deficit purely through diet without too many problems. I mean, if you normally eat around 2500 calories - it shouldn't be too much of a big deal to eat 2000 for a while. You just have the equivalent of two fewer mars bars per day. It isn't always a great idea to do too much extra cardio whilst losing weight since you run the risk of losing muscle and ending up skinny.

Thank you for you help :smile:.

One of my friends manages to gain mass without getting fat, and another guy has 2 sets of clothes for bulking and cutting. Hopefully I'll be like the former.
Reply 781
Original post by Tbx
Thank you for you help :smile:.

One of my friends manages to gain mass without getting fat, and another guy has 2 sets of clothes for bulking and cutting. Hopefully I'll be like the former.

Especially when you are younger, there is no need to get really fat whilst gaining mass. You just have to experiment with your food intake and increase it gradually and not too excessively.
Original post by Mark85
How old are you? Men tend to grow a decent amount of lean bodyweight up until, in many cases, the early twenties without any training naturally.

You can get stronger to an extent without building new muscle.

so what do you do if you feel you have enough muscle, you don't want to gain any more, what weights do you train with?

the same? if you use the amounts you're using at the stage of when you don't wish to be more muscly - is it that your body just maintains said muscles without them shrinking or growing?
Original post by Tbx
Oh I see, so that means there would be no point doing cardio during a bulk as that would use up calories, thus reducing muscle growth? And to reduce the fat I accumulate I do cardio and weights during the cut to bring down body fat %.

Yes, never train the most important body in your muscle. I'm being sarcastic btw. Cardio is like kryptonite to shallow bodybuilders. Sorry but most of them are just that, no different to the bimbos in magazines. "It's gonna affect my gainzz oh noes."

Do yourself a big favour and do some sort of cardio 2-3 times a week. It can be cross fit style circuit training challenges, kettlebells, Strongman style 'functional' training (eg farmers walks), even those insanity workouts (can't believe I'm recommending them), as well as the traditional type like running, skipping, rowing etc. Weight lifting just does not get your heart and lungs pumping. Good cardiovascular health feels a lot better than merely looking muscular on the outside. Don't be a fool for vanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 784
Original post by other one
so what do you do if you feel you have enough muscle, you don't want to gain any more, what weights do you train with?

the same? if you use the amounts you're using at the stage of when you don't wish to be more muscly - is it that your body just maintains said muscles without them shrinking or growing?

Well, if you want to get stronger then you would continue to strive to train with progressively heavier weights. If you don't want to gain more weight then you would just slightly decrease the amount of food you eat until your body weight stabilises.

For the most part, your body theoretically maintains the tissue it has although it isn't quite as simple as that as everything is constantly being broken down and replenished but in principle yeah, your muscles are maintained at the same size.

Olympic weightlifters in weight categories will have to do this yet they will still be able to get stronger to an extent without getting bigger. Of course, eating more and consequently gaining weight would enable them to get even more strong but I am guessing you could go on increasing relative strength for decades.
Hi all :smile: I really want to start working towards doing pull ups, but I really lack the upper body strength at the moment - A guy in the gym reccomended that I use the lateral pull down machine to strengthen the muscles in prep for doing pull ups eventually, is this good advice or not?

I'm always skeptical of machines!
Reply 786
Original post by Antifazian
Hi all :smile: I really want to start working towards doing pull ups, but I really lack the upper body strength at the moment - A guy in the gym reccomended that I use the lateral pull down machine to strengthen the muscles in prep for doing pull ups eventually, is this good advice or not?

I used bands to do assisted pull ups. Just loop one end around the bar and the other around your knees/feet. I did these for loads of reps, with slow negatives until I was able to do a few unassisted.

It depends on your strength level. If you are reasonably close to doing a pullup, the band assisted method RLW describes is good. If you are very, very far away, the lat pulldown is fine as it tends to be easier to track progress. Just make sure you do them very strictly.

Machine use is fine so long as you know why you're doing it.

I am always sceptical of machines too and also quite weak but I use latpull down v often, it's surely a good vertical pull (with rows being the horizontal pulls in my routine).

isn't it the case that most people do far too many pushes but not enough pulls. what is wrong with lateral pull downs?
Original post by rlw31
I used bands to do assisted pull ups. Just loop one end around the bar and the other around your knees/feet. I did these for loads of reps, with slow negatives until I was able to do a few unassisted.

This sounds very interesting, i'll look into getting some - thanks!
Reply 790
Hi all, finding it hard to fit in going to gym as much as i would like (going on holiday in July :smile:) so was wondering what would be the best exercises i could do just at home, i dont have any weights or anything but i am looking at buying some... i found this workout online and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on it? 1.Regular press ups 15 5-2-1-0
2.Sit ups 15
3.Squats 15 5-2-1-0
4.Wide press ups 12 5-2-1-0
5.Plank 1.5 mins 30 each
6.Jump squats 15 5-2-1-0
7.Diamond press ups 10 5-2-1-0
8.Leg raise to failure
9.One leg squats 15 each
2 min rest: hydrate
Repeat 1-9 taking 2-4 reps off
1 min rest: hydrate
Repeat 1-3 to failure.
Reply 791
What matters more-how much you can lift or how many reps you can do with less weights?
Original post by muf_mur
What matters more-how much you can lift or how many reps you can do with less weights?

matters more to what/who?
Reply 793
Original post by Arturo Bandini
matters more to what/who?

to me if i wanna gain weight,for example,i can bench 20Kg 10x3 is that good or should i increase the weight and do less reps?
Let's say you bench 20kg for 3 sets of 10 reps. Next week you do 22.5kg for a set of 10 a set of 9 and a set of 8. You stay on the same weight the week after and do 22.5 for 3x10. Then you move up to 25kg for however many reps. Progress when you hit 3x10. That's one simple progression model.
Reply 795
I am 25, height 6 feet and weight 92 kgs

I want to reduce weight and get it down to 82kgs in 6 months (I don't know what my goal should be for healthy weight loss?)

So have been hitting the gym almost every day where in I do cardio before any weight training and my cardio always includes running atleast 2 kilometers and at most 3 kilometers in 15-23 minutes

I want a lean body not a very muscular body (nothing very bulky)

The only problem with me is that I can't diet, I get weird headaches etc if I don't eat properly. so can I reduce weight only with gyming but without dieting? I avoid desserts thats about it... I need my meat and not boiled!

also I run in bursts, usually 2 minutes warm up then 1 minute @ 6 kmph, 1 minute @ 8kmph, 1 minute @10kmph and 1 minute @ 12kmph and usually do 3 such sets and 2 minutes to warm down... will this help me reduce weight faster?
Reply 796
Original post by joy12
I am 25, height 6 feet and weight 92 kgs

I want to reduce weight and get it down to 82kgs in 6 months (I don't know what my goal should be for healthy weight loss?)

So have been hitting the gym almost every day where in I do cardio before any weight training and my cardio always includes running atleast 2 kilometers and at most 3 kilometers in 15-23 minutes

I want a lean body not a very muscular body (nothing very bulky)

The only problem with me is that I can't diet, I get weird headaches etc if I don't eat properly. so can I reduce weight only with gyming but without dieting? I avoid desserts thats about it... I need my meat and not boiled!

also I run in bursts, usually 2 minutes warm up then 1 minute @ 6 kmph, 1 minute @ 8kmph, 1 minute @10kmph and 1 minute @ 12kmph and usually do 3 such sets and 2 minutes to warm down... will this help me reduce weight faster?

O hai, weight loss is all about calories in <- Calories out, so eat less calories than your body's using and you'll lose weight. In terms of your goal not to get "bulky" unless you trying to add muscle mass, you simply won't so don't worry about that. Doesn't matter whether you do longer endurance cardio vs HITT, high intensity training just require less times to burn the same amount of calories so do which you enjoy the most/have the time to do.

Sounds like the biggest problem you have is your diet, eat the foods you enjoy eating while making sure your in a calorific deficit, its as simple as that.
Reply 797
Original post by Dhaden
O hai, weight loss is all about calories in <- Calories out, so eat less calories than your body's using and you'll lose weight. In terms of your goal not to get "bulky" unless you trying to add muscle mass, you simply won't so don't worry about that. Doesn't matter whether you do longer endurance cardio vs HITT, high intensity training just require less times to burn the same amount of calories so do which you enjoy the most/have the time to do.

Sounds like the biggest problem you have is your diet, eat the foods you enjoy eating while making sure your in a calorific deficit, its as simple as that.

Thank you :smile:, do I need to cut down on cardio and focus more on weight training?
Reply 798
Original post by joy12
Thank you :smile:, do I need to cut down on cardio and focus more on weight training?

I'd stick to primarily weight training (3-4x full body beginners routine) ill link you if your interested. Still do cardio, 2-3 times a week for like 10-15 mins just to keep your cardiovascular fitness in check. For weight loss always focus on losing weight by your nutrition.
Reply 799
Original post by Dhaden
I'd stick to primarily weight training (3-4x full body beginners routine) ill link you if your interested. Still do cardio, 2-3 times a week for like 10-15 mins just to keep your cardiovascular fitness in check. For weight loss always focus on losing weight by your nutrition.

Yes, please send me a link! :smile: Thank you again!!

Quick Reply

Latest