The Student Room Group

Bulking tips

Should I be bulking on all days of the week? Even on days that I’m not in the gym. I’m currently skinny but I’m worried I’ll gain too much weight.
Original post by Brad765
Should I be bulking on all days of the week? Even on days that I’m not in the gym. I’m currently skinny but I’m worried I’ll gain too much weight.

You don't have to bulk everyday. You can estimate the weekly calories, and then eat a lot on some days but at maintenance on other days.

Also, you will not gain too much weight if you are skinny. You have to reach a good weight before you become overweight. Once you reach a weight you are happy with, stop bulking and start cutting.
Original post by Brad765

To bulk you'll need to be eating a caloric surplus. If you only do that on days you lift it's going to be harder to get in enough calories over the course of the week because you'll have to eat much larger surpluses some days - unless you are in the gym like 5+ times per week. It's more straightforward to eat a surplus everyday. A good target to aim for is approximately 500kcal above maintenance on average (so if you eat more some days and a bit less other days - as will invariably happen unless you are extremely meticulous and willing to make lifestyle changes - it balances out). Too much will just add additional bodyfat.
You'll need to be in a calorific surplus. I wouldn't do a 500 calorie increase as the mass you'll put on will be muscle but a fair amount of fat too. I would do a lean bulk and do a 200 calorie surplus. Yes it'll take more time but it'll save you having to do a huge spout of cutting afterwards. It is better to just eat in a surplus everyday as it is easier. If you have social events and you eat massively over do not worry too much, just get straight back to it the next day

Quick Reply

Latest