The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York or St. Andrews?

Hey all, im making my final decisions thing for UCAS and basically have to choose between York or St. Andys to put as my Firm choice...

Anyone got ne inside info? Im leaning toward york because:
* St. Andys is really only catered accomodation (19 meals/wk seems really restricting) :frown:
* The English dept teacher guy at St. Andy's seemed really apathetic n arrogant :mad:
* York is collegiate :smile:
* the league table rankings seem slightly better for york
* St. Andys seems really friendly though, 4 years of laziness instead of 3, it's nice and small which seems cosy, near the beach :biggrin:

:confused: Applied to both for English and Philosophy and got AAB offer from St. Andys and ABB for York, any advice or opinions would be muchos appreciated! xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
buttbuns
Hey all, im making my final decisions thing for UCAS and basically have to choose between York or St. Andys to put as my Firm choice...

* St. Andys is really only catered accomodation (19 meals/wk seems really restricting) :frown:
* The English dept teacher guy at St. Andy's seemed really apathetic n arrogant :mad:
* St. Andys seems really friendly though, 4 years of laziness instead of 3, it's nice and small which seems cosy, near the beach :biggrin:

:confused: Applied to both for English and Philosophy and got AAB offer from St. Andys and ABB for York, any advice or opinions would be muchos appreciated! xxx

York. It's considered a 'better' university and it's asking for lower grades!
University of York
York
Reply 2
~Sam~

Hey

Im at York now and i really enjoy it obviously i cant say anything for St Andrews. Im in my first year and right from day 1 i have felt very welcome here. its so friendly and the collegiate system is good! and the fact that its offering lower grades is an added bonus! I would go for York!!!!!!

Hope this helps
Reply 3
buttbuns

From what you say, it's pretty obvious that you should choose York! :smile:
Reply 4
sili-Kate
Hey

Im at York now and i really enjoy it obviously i cant say anything for St Andrews. Im in my first year and right from day 1 i have felt very welcome here. its so friendly and the collegiate system is good! and the fact that its offering lower grades is an added bonus! I would go for York!!!!!!

Hope this helps

Thanks v. much for the advice, am definately choosing York - i dont know why it wasnt my first choice from day 1! went to St. Andrews open day and it was very friendly, but recently went to York visit day and was all round friendly and efficient - also talked it over with my teachers etc, and its totally unanimous that Yorks the 'better' :wink: uni all round, so thanku for the advice guys, made decision much clearer :biggrin: xxx
Reply 5
My PhD external was from York. Seems to me the same kinda academic than anywhere else. I think its much more important to look at the individual people than at the ranking. If the academic is successfull but an arrogant snob, nothing is won for you and vice versa. My PhD supervisor was at Cambridge and Oxford before he became a lecturer. My 2nd supervisor was in Cambridge before. Different kinda people I would say ... Their self belief sometimes collides with their actual abilities to be honest. Nepotism, exclusiveness and self celebration doesn't equate to intelligence. Also way to much brown nosing going on. A decent non stuck up Uni is much better, as the people there are with a higher probability down to earth. If you are into elitism go the full way and go to Oxbridge, otherwise go to a normal Uni. York was probably a good choice. :smile:
Reply 6
buttbuns
Thanks v. much for the advice, am definately choosing York - i dont know why it wasnt my first choice from day 1! went to St. Andrews open day and it was very friendly, but recently went to York visit day and was all round friendly and efficient - also talked it over with my teachers etc, and its totally unanimous that Yorks the 'better' :wink: uni all round, so thanku for the advice guys, made decision much clearer :biggrin: xxx

...Plus York has the most renowned English department in England outside of Oxbridge - would put you in good stead for a career once you've finished your degree :biggrin:
Reply 7
St. Andrews is overrated - people think it's good just because the prince went there!

Choose York :smile:

I'm going to do philosophy there!

Uh oh - do you realise how old the post we are replying to is?
Reply 8
~Sam~

By whom?!? (I'm not disagreeing but why is it considered better?) :confused:
Reply 9
Adhsur

Uh oh - do you realise how old the post we are replying to is?

Yeah but it's always worth dragging things back onto a main page for people to oggle!!! :wink:
Reply 10
Leekey
Yeah but it's always worth dragging things back onto a mian page for people to oggle!!! :wink:
:eek: Leekey!! That took 5mins of precious posting time!!! :redface:
Reply 11
Adhsur
:eek: Leekey!! That took 5mins of precious posting time!!! :redface:

But the undoubted quality of your response makes it all worthwhile. :wink:
Reply 12
Leekey
By whom?!? (I'm not disagreeing but why is it considered better?) :confused:

I don't know, League tables I guess. I know those things are a load of rubbish and I don't listen to them (that's why I put better in quotations) but reputation is important to some people
Do they do law and history at York? What's it like there....
Reply 14
Cellardore
Do they do law and history at York? What's it like there....
Law no. History yes.
Reply 15
~Sam~
I don't know, League tables I guess. I know those things are a load of rubbish and I don't listen to them (that's why I put better in quotations) but reputation is important to some people

In my opinion St Andrews has a far better reputation (based on it being ancient) but York is a better university because it feels more like a university than a boarding school next to a golf course. :biggrin:
Reply 16
steerpike1985
...Plus York has the most renowned English department in England outside of Oxbridge - would put you in good stead for a career once you've finished your degree :biggrin:

does it really???!!! :smile:

i might be changing to english instead of History; I heard that Durham was meant to be better for english and thats my second choice so I was all confused
Reply 17
charlord
does it really???!!! :smile:

i might be changing to english instead of History; I heard that Durham was meant to be better for english and thats my second choice so I was all confused

Yeah I heard that York had the third best English department too
Reply 18
Based on me having a very good friend there, I think that the best English department in the country is Liverpool!!! Although I actually prefer Leeds. :biggrin:
Reply 19
~Sam~
Yeah I heard that York had the third best English department too

do u know what came first and second?

Latest

Trending

Trending