The Student Room Group

CHEM1 15 May 2012 AQA OFFICIAL POST EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by king101
Hey!!! I thogght it was an OKAY exam. :frown:. What did people get for the question why is the marcomolecular structure very good conductor or somthing? And suggest why titanium in different shapes have the same somthing??

Macromolecular structures a very good conductor because of the delocalised electrons isn't it? Thats what I put anyway, because each carbon is only bonded to 3 others leaving a spare pair of electrons to create that barrier inbetween slates like in graphite, and the electricity is conducted here.
For the titanium bit I didn't have a clue, just put the bonds aren't broken, only moved/changed.
Reply 21
How were we supposed to know the chemical formula for Sodium borate?

I guessed and put NaBO2 (which is sodium metaborate which is still a salt of borate?) when it was actually NaBH.
Reply 22
thought it was a bit of a weird paper not particularly like any others I've done, and no definitions at all
Original post by king101
Hey!!! I thogght it was an OKAY exam. :frown:. What did people get for the question why is the marcomolecular structure very good conductor or somthing? And suggest why titanium in different shapes have the same somthing??

for titanium Q, i wrote that the structure remains the same, it is not damaged and bonds aren't broken, therefore the strength is similar no matter what shape titanium is beated to. Not sure if it is right though
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
yeah i hate it when you know answer and write it wrong, happens to me all the time, hopefully not this time as i checked it for ages

atleast I'll only lose 1 mark for that hopefully. argh I wish I read stuff properly. Nevermind everyone will make a silly mistake.
what do you think the grade boundary will be?
for titanium Q, i wrote that the structure remains the same, it is not damaged and bonds aren't broken, therefore the strength is similar no matter what shape titanium is beated to. Not sure if it is right though

i put same chemical properties :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by AishaTara
atleast I'll only lose 1 mark for that hopefully. argh I wish I read stuff properly. Nevermind everyone will make a silly mistake.

Probably just 56/70 for an A again, won't go lower than 54.
Original post by 143143143
How were we supposed to know the chemical formula for Sodium borate?

I guessed and put NaBO2 (which is sodium metaborate which is still a salt of borate?) when it was actually NaBH.

NaBO2 is right, the 'ate' means it has oxygen in it, and i just wiki.ed it

Edit: this was a while ago, I think i was wrong
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by AishaTara

I think they'll be low.
-No definitions
-The 5:1 ratio
-5000 cm3 volume
-functional group
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
NaBO2 is right, the 'ate' means it has oxygen in it, and i just wiki.ed it

If this is completely legit, I want to hug you.
Original post by lochbeau
Probably just 56/70 for an A again, won't go lower than 54.

i have a feeling it may be higher possibly 57/8 out of 70 for an A because if you look at previous papers, this was slightly easier
Jan 12 i think was harder
I think they'll be low.
-No definitions
-500 cm3 volume
-functional group

oh crap i forgot to answer the functional group Q, i was going to come back to it
Original post by lochbeau
Got a good chance of an A if thats the case, think the PV = nRT question will make or break my grade. Either way, only got a C last time due to panic so even a B will suffice. If 86.4 is correct and my method is wrong, will I get all 3 marks, 2 or 1?

i think if the answer is right then you would get 1 mark, because all the other marks are method marks

From looking at lost of past markschemes, in the notes it usually says award all marks if you have the exact, correct answer. :smile:
I think they'll be low.
-No definitions
-500 cm3 volume
-functional group

what was the answer to the functional group one though?
Original post by joker12345
From looking at lost of past markschemes, in the notes it usually says award all marks if you have the exact, correct answer. :smile:

I hope you're right lol
You had to make it a cycloalkane, I didnt think, and just moved the double bond >_>
Reply 36
oh crap i forgot to answer the functional group Q, i was going to come back to it

I hated that question, took me over 10 minutes. :s-smilie:
If it wasn't for the unit 3 past papers (old spec) I wouldn't have put anything. (I used "epoxy" 3 carbons bonded to each other)

At least it was only 1 mark!
I think they'll be low.
-No definitions
-500 cm3 volume
-functional group

I agree with this. There were loads of large nested calculation questions where you had to think of a route to the end, whereas in pretty much every single paper in the past, it was just one question made up of 1-mark a), b), c) and so on.

what was the answer to the functional group one though?

I drew the alkene as a cyclic alkane. Cyclobutane, I think it was.
Original post by travispickle
I did: (85x2.5) + (87x1)
divided all that by 3.5

Got 85 something, I think..
It felt right..

I did the same as you! It seemed the only logical calculation method to me? Fingers crossed! :smile:
For the reagent, do you think they'd accept 2H+?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending