The Student Room Group

i accidentally missed half of paper 2 in English lit exam

I don't know how I managed this but for some reason I only thought there were two questions in the paper 2 English lit exam. I flicked through at the start but for some reason I didn't see the unseen poetry bit.(the poetry was TRULY unseen eyyyyy)

I finished half an hour early and even that didn't give me a hint as to whether or not there was more to the exam. So I just sat there. For half an hour. Why.

So I did the two 30 mark questions but I didn't do the 24 mark question and the 8 mark question. So I DEFINITELY lost 32 marks and I doubt that I even did well on the questions I did do.

my question is, have I failed my English lit exam overall? I answered all the questions in paper 1 thankfully. (I mean I still think I did bad on paper 1 but yeah)

also, am I an idiot? Cus I definitely feel like one. I was even hoping to take English lit for a level HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA.

Update - I passed and got a 5. Although I couldn't do English Lit for a level I could do English lang and lit as a combined subject which I find more fun tbh.

Another update - I'm studying English literature and language at uni hehe. Never give up on your idiotic dreams, kids!

Another another update - I love how I have a job now and have finished uni and I still get replies to this post from people who continue to make the same mistake. It’s kind of beautiful. I'm gonna be 60 and still receive replies from people who unsee the unseen poetry. God bless you student room.
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by billie mercury
I don't know how I managed this but for some reason I only thought there were two questions in the paper 2 English lit exam. I flicked through at the start but for some reason I didn't see the unseen poetry bit.(the poetry was TRULY unseen eyyyyy)

I finished half an hour early and even that didn't give me a hint as to whether or not there was more to the exam. So I just sat there. For half an hour. Why.

So I did the two 30 mark questions but I didn't do the 24 mark question and the 8 mark question. So I DEFINITELY lost 32 marks and I doubt that I even did well on the questions I did do.

my question is, have I failed my English lit exam overall? I answered all the questions in paper 1 thankfully. (I mean I still think I did bad on paper 1 but yeah)

also, am I an idiot? Cus I definitely feel like one. I was even hoping to take English lit for a level HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA.

You have defo failed regardless, you can’t throw away 32 marks like that.
If your lucky you might just about pass.
And yes you are an idiot 😂
Reply 2

Firstly, you should definitely carefully check your exam script and it's understandable that you would've been stressed under exam conditions but that's vital to avoid scenarios like this. Secondly, what is done is done, there's no going back but try to stay positive after what happened.

If it makes you feel any better. My friend wrote his 30 mark Mrs Birling question on Mr Birling and came out with a 7
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-RF-GDE-BDY-JUN-2017.PDF
last year's grade boundaries may give you an indication of what you might get:redface: though you might have done really well in paper 1!

thank you so much for dropping the boundries.
32 marks gone??? just like that?? is this what being kicked in the balls feels like???

praying for you man. Hopefully you'll still pull through with a 5 :/
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Be optimistic.
nah i think you’d pass like overall you’ve still done like 80% of your eng lit and if you did really well in the first few sections and paper 1 you’d prolly manage to get a 6 and maybe even a 7
I got a 9.
Original post by thotproduct
If it makes you feel any better. My friend wrote his 30 mark Mrs Birling question on Mr Birling and came out with a 7

but you can do that because Mr Birling still links to Mrs Birling
Reply 11

I also missed 32 marks but for stupid time management and it is frustrating the living hell out of me.

Omg i feel so bad for you x
Talk to your exam officer, try to let AQA know or something so they’d give you a percentage of what youve done rather than including this bit too (idk if this is possible but if i were you id defo try to get this message to aqa)
Sometimes examboards ask your school what you got in mocks so they can give you a grade, and sometimes they take an average of what ppl got, not sure if this would be the case for you but do talk to your exam officer and please find a way to talk to aqa about it! Good luck
I thought I was the only one to do something that backwards but clearly not. What a relief, I think if we’ve done well enough on paper 1 we may just pull through pull through.
I messed up the poetry comparison by not reading the question and writing some random ********
THANK GOODNESS I'M NOT ALONE! I did amazingly on the first question which was about Romeo and Juliet but the unseen poetry really was unseen. I sat there for 30 mins or maybe longer thinking I was finished. At least we're both idiots.
Original post by Gayness
THANK GOODNESS I'M NOT ALONE! I did amazingly on the first question which was about Romeo and Juliet but the unseen poetry really was unseen. I sat there for 30 mins or maybe longer thinking I was finished. At least we're both idiots.

Old thread. The OP is studying English at Uni now.
Original post by sufys
Old thread. The OP is studying English at Uni now.

I know, I just looked up to see if anyone experienced what I did and got excited when I saw I'm not the only idiot in existence.
Reply 18
YES ME TOO. I felt so much guilt by missing unseen poetry. I am so glad I am not the only stupid person to do this. Thank you for sharing your story.
Reply 19
what grade did u get I FORGOT ASWELL and i’m literally so sad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending