The Student Room Group

AQA C1 16/05/2012 EXAM DISCUSSION Thread.

Scroll to see replies

For the last Question, R, i got something like 49/17,3.... Man im really worried now
Reply 41
For the 7 marker i got (23,3) and i was pretty damn sure I was right... After looking at this i'm not so sure haha. But it was a nice paper, not too hard.
After january when i got 73 ums i was so determined to get 90 :P

But after that insane Core 2 paper this was a breeze tbh, dont hate, just saying

I didnt answer that k question near the start somewhere, just couldnt be bothered if im honest :L Looked a lot of work....

Hoping for around 90 ums, good paper :smile:
Original post by Bluewinds
Glad to see a lot of people are getting (43,3) for R. :biggrin: What did everyone get for the area of the region below AB? I think I got 32/3. :s-smilie:

I got both of those :wink:

EDIT: Actually not sure about 32/3, that's definitely a value I obtained but I'm not sure if it was my final answer. I think it was though.
Reply 44
I got 32/3 for the integration question.

What did people get for the first question? I think I got 16-9root5 or something like that. Now that I think about it it seems like I've made a lot of stupid mistakes that have cost me an A grade.

For the 7 marker, I stupidly got the most simple calculation wrong, I got -12 instead of -10 or whatever it was, making my gradient and therefore answer wrong. Hopefully pick up method marks as I seemed to do everything else correct.

What did people get for the inequality question? Again, I thought I did this right in the exam, but now I think about it I may have solved for the wrong equality symbol.

I got 4/3 < x and x > 2

Sigh
Reply 45
Original post by Bluewinds
Glad to see a lot of people are getting (43,3) for R. :biggrin: What did everyone get for the area of the region below AB? I think I got 32/3. :s-smilie:

YES, I definitely got something like that, my friends all got different things so I hope we're correct!
Original post by SwimGood

What did people get for the first question? I think I got 16-9root5 or something like that. Now that I think about it it seems like I've made a lot of stupid mistakes that have cost me an A grade.

For the 7 marker, I stupidly got the most simple calculation wrong, I got -12 instead of -10 or whatever it was, making my gradient and therefore answer wrong. Hopefully pick up method marks as I seemed to do everything else correct.

What did people get for the inequality question? Again, I thought I did this right in the exam, but now I think about it I may have solved for the wrong equality symbol.

I got 4/3 < x and x > 2

Sigh

16-9root5 sounds VERY familiar, fairly sure I got that.7 marker I got same as others so can't help you there, and for inequality I think it was 4/3<x<2, if I remember correctly. No need to worry though, you'll pick up a lot of method marks :smile:
Reply 47
Hopefully! I think I've dropped so many marks due to stupid mistakes. I would of got the inequality one if I had read the question properly! How are method marks awarded? Are they awarded at each step of the question or?
Original post by SwimGood

I got 4/3 < x and x > 2

Sigh

I got 11-9root5
4/3<x<2

I made some stupid mistakes aswell, i got the -10 and the reciprocal gradient 1/10 and y=3 but still managed to get the wrong answer. dont know how
Original post by stupefy!
YES, I definitely got something like that, my friends all got different things so I hope we're correct!

for the 7 marker, do you remember the equation where you needed to place y=3 in?
Reply 50
Original post by darkshadow1111
for the 7 marker, do you remember the equation where you needed to place y=3 in?

well i don't really remember but i think it was the equation of Q?
damnnnn thought i'd done ok on this paper, looking at this i haven't :frown: and i really needed to do well as C2 was awful
Reply 52
you needed the equation for Q and the equation for the other line? because i worked out both the lines equations seeing as one was at a tangent to the circle, i used the co-ordinates to get them in the y-y1=gradient(x-x1) then i used simultaneous equations to work out the points of interesction, was this the right working? If so i'm hoping i just messed the answer up at the end because i ended up with 13/15 or something for x :\
I didn't find this too bad - I was really just pleased that I was able to answer all the questions rather confidently!
But I know I got the last part of the question with the point of intersection R of the tangent and normal to a curve wrong - I got (3,3), when everyone else seems to have (43,3). Does anyone remember how they reached that answer? Because though I wasn't sure about mine in the exam, I couldn't see anything wrong with my working :s-smilie:
Reply 54
For the 7 marker did you not have to get the equation of the line frm dy/dx? So basically differentiation backwards. I didn't see how else you could get the Y coordinate. I think this is where I went wrong
Reply 55
Original post by JoeUtd
For the 7 marker did you not have to get the equation of the line frm dy/dx? So basically differentiation backwards. I didn't see how else you could get the Y coordinate. I think this is where I went wrong

once again my memory is fuzzy but you were given coordinates of Q (i think??), and i think you had to put the x term of those coordinates into dy/dx to get the gradient of Q (that's the letter right?), and then use that gradient and coordinates in the y-y1=m(x-x1) equation, then equate that to the answer of the line in the previous question (which was y=3) to get the line of R, rearrange to find x, sub that x value back into the line of Q (the y-y1=m(x-x1) one) to find y???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by poyyo
once again my memory is fuzzy but you were given coordinates of Q (i think??), and i think you had to put the x term of those coordinates into dy/dx to get the gradient of Q (that's the letter right?), and then use that gradient and coordinates in the y-y1=m(x-x1) equation, then equate that to the answer of the line in the previous question (which was y=3) to get the line of R, rearrange to find x, sub that x value back into the line of Q (the y-y1=m(x-x1) one) to find y???

Sounds right. Must have had a mind blank. For 7 marks it was relatively straight-forward it's just that there was a lot of working out which leads to mistakes and I obviously made one in this case. Hopefully I'll get a few working out marks.
Original post by darkshadow1111
FML .i got 17,3 for the last question.
Other answers i got were:
32/3 for the shaded area.
4/3<x<2 for the ineqaulity
10 for the area of traingle
11-9root5 for the surds.

I think I got 4/3<x<2 for the inequality, too, but I got something like 10 1/3 or 11 1/3 for the area of the triangle :smile:
Reply 58
some of the answers people got on this are dodgey, no joke.
Original post by z0mbific4tion
I think I got 4/3<x<2 for the inequality, too, but I got something like 10 1/3 or 11 1/3 for the area of the triangle :smile:

32/3 can be written as 10 2/3 if that's what you got. But im sure 32/3 is right, i did the question twice and got the same answer-first time i thought it cant be right because this is c1 they never leave questions in fractions but then i got it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending