The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandora.
The idea of living in America is growing on me again... I'd actually need a good career for that though, which I can't see happening! :lol:

Yeah you need a career what an American couldn't offer. It's annoying as it's really difficult for us Brits to live in cool places but everyone else comes to our country.
Reply 4601
Original post by InvertedLayman
Hello ladies and chaps, anyone care to help me with these simultaneous equations?:

4x-y=17 and x=5+y

I think I have to use substitution but I don't really know what I'm doing.

x=5+y
4x-y=17

Put x=5+y into the other equation

4*(5+y)-y=17

Then expand out and find y.
Original post by meeow
set 4x-y=17 as 4(5+y)-y =17 :smile:

It works! Thank you very much kind lady.

I was unaware that I had to retain the -y after (5+y). Anyone care to explain?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello ladies and chaps, anyone care to help me with these simultaneous equations?:

4x-y=17 and x=5+y

I would re-arrange it so that it's x-y=5. Then take them away so you get 3x=12 which means x=4. You can then substitute it in to get y which is -1. Hope this helps

4x-y=17 and x=5+y

4x=17-y and
x=5+y
4x= 17-y
4x=20+y
8x=37
X=37/8
Then sub in original equation to get y. I think!
Reply 4605

4x-y=17 and x=5+y

4(5+y)-y=17
20+4y-y=17
3y=-3
y=-1

x=5+(-1)
x=4

;D
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Yeah you need a career what an American couldn't offer. It's annoying as it's really difficult for us Brits to live in cool places but everyone else comes to our country.
Or marry an American... :colone:

I know what you mean. :frown: Still, I don't mean this in a big headed way but most of us on TSR are people who go to university/planning to go to university, so I guess we're in the best position possible to get that kind of career. :smile: I struggle to think of anything that I'd be interested in that would constitute a career that most Americans could offer though. :frown:
Why in this question:
6x+y=9 (1)
y=3x-9 (2)

Was the +y in (1) not retained, making 6x+(3x=9)=9?
Reply 4608
It works! Thank you very much kind lady.

I was unaware that I had to retain the -y after (5+y). Anyone care to explain?

The (5+y) is only the value of x, so you have to keep the rest of the equation for it to work. That probably didn't make sense. ;D
Basically, they're telling you that x= 5+y, so you're using that as a value of x. Like for example, say somebody told you that the value of x was 2, and you had to put it into an equation as follows;
y= 5x+6
You'd do, 5(2) but you'd also have to add the +6 afterwards so you get the full value of y. ;D
Don't worry, I've confused myself haha.
Reply 4609
Why in this question:
6x+y=9 (1)
y=3x-9 (2)

Was the +y in (1) not retained, making 6x+(3x=9)=9?

Because in this example you are substituting out the 'y' for y=3x-9. In the previous example you substituted out the 'x', which meant the y stayed. (This time the '6x' is staying and the 'y' is being replaced).
Original post by Deziah
The (5+y) is only the value of x, so you have to keep the rest of the equation for it to work. That probably didn't make sense. ;D
Basically, they're telling you that x= 5+y, so you're using that as a value of x. Like for example, say somebody told you that the value of x was 2, and you had to put it into an equation as follows;
y= 5x+6
You'd do, 5(2) but you'd also have to add the +6 afterwards so you get the full value of y. ;D
Don't worry, I've confused myself haha.

Niiice all right I get it.. I think.
Original post by Alexx53
Because in this example you are substituting out the 'y' for y=3x-9. In the previous example you substituted out the 'x', which meant the y stayed. (This time the '6x' is staying and the 'y' is being replaced).

Oh right because in this one they tell you the equation for y so you don't need the letter y there any more, should have seen that.
I'm really struggling to get into the 'revision mood' I have a maths test on the 11th and I haven't really revised I'm aiming for a B or higher but I find it so difficult to revise. I woke up at 10 and left the house at 11 I have been in the library till 3;00 i left making all these excuses like I'm going to do work at home but it seems like it won't happen. I don't want to get lazy but I feel like going to sleep and starting off properly tomorrow
What do I do????

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4613
Niiice all right I get it.. I think.

It's basically like saying;
y = 3 + 4
y = 3 + (2x2)
If you've subbed in the value of 4 as 2x2, then you don't need the +4 any more, otherwise it would be y = 3 + 4 + (2x2) which would change the value of y. It's just another way of saying numbers, confusing I know. ;D
Original post by lil-mazie
I'm really struggling to get into the 'revision mood' I have a maths test on the 11th and I haven't really revised I'm aiming for a B or higher but I find it so difficult to revise. I woke up at 10 and left the house at 11 I have been in the library till 3;00 i left making all these excuses like I'm going to do work at home but it seems like it won't happen. I don't want to get lazy but I feel like going to sleep and starting off properly tomorrow
What do I do????

The trick is, to stay away from all electronic devices and stick to a good book. And make a plan on how many topics you will cover each day.
Reply 4615
Original post by lil-mazie
What do I do????

I haven't done any revision since Friday either. I keep telling myself the exams are ages away and I have loads of time to revise later in the week.

You could always go to McDonalds or somewhere like that and tell yourself if you don't revise you'll end up working there :tongue: Or some sort of reward system if you do a certain amount of work? Or unplug/remove all distractions so you're forced to revise.
Original post by Deziah
It's basically like saying;
y = 3 + 4
y = 3 + (2x2)
If you've subbed in the value of 4 as 2x2, then you don't need the +4 any more, otherwise it would be y = 3 + 4 + (2x2). It's just another way of saying numbers, confusing I know. ;D

Nope, it makes perfect sense, thanks again for your help. I don't know why but I find some "harder" questions in maths easier than the "easier" ones, because I miss out these obvious things.. sometimes.
Reply 4617
Nope, it makes perfect sense, thanks again for your help. I don't know why but I find some "harder" questions in maths easier than the "easier" ones, because I miss out these obvious things.. sometimes.

Don't worry about it, I'm the exact same. I've made some seriously stupid errors in the past, on probably the most basic questions ever. ;D
The trick is, to stay away from all electronic devices and stick to a good book. And make a plan on how many topics you will cover each day.

Thats where I struggle:biggrin: I spend so much time on electronic devices I find it hard to stay away:tongue:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Oh! I thought that you loved Physics:smile:
I am a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory, esp. Sheldon! I wish I had his brains--but definitely not his personality:lol: That's cool though. I actually prefer Physics over all the science's because of the calculations it and the theoretical side, but hey! Everybody's different:smile: Ohh-I hate circuits... it bores me to death!
Like I told you before, I love English along with maths; and yep, I am the journalist around here! Some actually came to my school on Friday from The Guardian and were doing interviews along with the Mayor of Barnet-- so it was actually pretty cool:P I got to see how journalism actually is! But me liking Literature--don't hold it against me!:biggrin:

Wow sounds great. Yep I love big bang! Right from the start hehe!!! Ooo I wouldn't hold literature against you. I am pretty good at it to the standard of like A/A* but that requires a fair bit of work! I wish I could be naturally good at english - trust me I envy you :biggrin: Journalism sounds good; gonna be in the papers huh?

Original post by blueray
Same. You have a leavers event?

We had a leavers assembly. The we got prom at the end of exams

Original post by NomNomNom :)
For philosophy or eastern religions??? I'm sooo confused :s I don't take philosophy... But if I did, I think it'd be the one with ethics and the abrahamic religions

We probably do a different spec. I do OCR B. There is OCR A, OCR B and OCR C so you are probably one of the other specs.

Latest