The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OllieWolly
Yeah it is :smile: We're a language college but we've got a good music department (people come from other sixth forms to do music at ours too sometimes.. ) And wow! She's doing some pretty academic stuff! Why's she leaving? And yeah that is a problem :frown:

oh wow, that's really interesting! i think people are put off by our school's music department so not many opt to do music in school, some do it outside... my school's known for maths and science more predominantly but it's also good for languages. i think she wanted a change really, she felt like she had gotten as much as she could have from our school and decided she wanted a new environment for sixth form!
Original post by mjordanjnr
I wanna do dentistry

Yeah get to the back of the queue love, Lol i'm joking I aim to dentistry but my grades aren't the best like As and A*s but i still want to achieve it and you should too it's a great profession
:biggrin:
Original post by Dandaman9999
But people, might struggle due to other things such as needing a lot of work experience, personal statement, extra curriculars, etc so the pressure is definitely not only to get the grades :smile:

i agree, there's a lot you need to consider and the pressure is distributed, but people survive and there is light at the end of the tunnel :smile:
Reply 1783
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
i agree, there's a lot you need to consider and the pressure is distributed, but people survive and there is light at the end of the tunnel :smile:

Is this medicine your talking about?

If so have you guys managed to get any replies from doctors or hospices, I've had 1, most of them just ignore you!
Original post by Nathan0012
Ironically they are, mostly music. My brother is at Grade 7 piano and is learning creative music tech at uni and my other brother is also quite a good piano player and has a talent for drawing, i'm a drums player (can't beat bashing stuff :wink: ) and my sister is learning the recorder and is in the school choir. My gran is a very good piano player, as is my uncle, the other grandad also plays piano and my cousins play violin and piano.
My dad is more of a people person and he can talk with anyone and understand their problems really well, he's a kind of therapist... Thinking about it I never realised how much music is in the family... I also just did my music GCSE and am expecting an A* which is cool :smile: Anyway... English Lit revision, ugghhh Lord of the Flies is interesting but depressing, as is To Kill a Mockingbird, in some ways I am happy that I am dropping English for A level.

wow looks like you've got quite the musical family there! i used to play the piano but then i lost interest, but my sister's pretty musical, she's on grade 5 on piano and she's like on grade 2 for violin! she's 9, so it's good she's got some form of musical interest, she likes playing in the school orchaestra too! :smile: oh yes, nothing quite like bashing :wink:
i like that kind of people, like your dad, they're really easy to speak too and understandable. i try and be that kind of person but whether i am, well, you have to ask other people :smile: i finished eng lit last week but i have an unseen next week :frown:
Reply 1785
Anyone else have the joys of the Crucible? What are you're main focuses of revision tonight?
Reply 1786
Original post by g.k.galloway

If so have you guys managed to get any replies from doctors or hospices, I've had 1, most of them just ignore you!

i contacted 3 in different departments of the same hospital and got responses form all, I'm also doing a like work experience course at a hospital. And I'm doing some volunteering in a hospice this summer :smile:
Original post by ElMoro
Anyone got any last minute tips for Of Mice & Men and An Inspector Calls?

Hey! :biggrin: Just some tips from me:

Of Mice and Men:

Always bring in some contextual comments (e.g. "This is typical of 1930s America where....")

Always quote/use close textual analysis when you are illustrating points about language or character.

For an introduction, do not describe Steinbeck, 1930s America or the general story of the novel. The introduction should answer the question.

Make sure you spend about 5 minutes (no more as more wastes time) planning. It really does help whilst writing the essay :smile:

Don't use pre-prepared material. For example, if you have memorised an answer from a revision guide, and by some luck, the same question comes up in the exam, try not to write exactly what it says in the revision guide. Examiners like to see you thinking and they can spot when people just write out memorised answers and they don't like this.

Try to mention language at least once. But don't concentrate so much on language that you forget to mention Steinbeck's key intentions.

Don't just spot literary techniques-explain what they do too :smile:

An Inspector Calls
I haven't studied this play, but these are some tips I have in general for writing about plays:

Always see yourselves as the audience of the play. So instead of writing, "This shows the reader that..." write "This shows the audience...."

The stage directions are always part of the dramatic action. Try and visualise them and then write about them, if that makes sense :tongue:

Don't talk about punctuation. Remember, the audience won't be able to see the punctuation :smile:

Good luck mate! I'm sure you'll do amazingly :biggrin:

If I think of any other points, I'll post them :smile:

just things in general!

but the best way is probably to directly confront them :smile:
Original post by SparkleDust231
Me!,
I'm doing To Kill A Mockingbird & Poetry tomorrow
Lord of the flies and a view from the bridge on Thursday.

Im dreading it.

Good Luck!

Oh wow, your not allowed the book in your exam? And there was me thinking AQA English was hard :colondollar:
I have Of Mice and Men and The Crucible tomorrow and then Poetry on Thursday. The only thing that is stopping me from killing myself now is the thought that in 3 more days I will never have to worry about making 'insightful' comments again :smile:
Reply 1790
Original post by larryb
i contacted 3 in different departments of the same hospital and got responses form all, I'm also doing a like work experience course at a hospital. And I'm doing some volunteering in a hospice this summer :smile:

cool! it must just be rude doctors in my region :tongue: I'm going to try again mind you!

i've got a placement at a GP for 5-6 weeks *gulp* but should be good! Also hoping it will lead onto more in the future.
Reply 1791
cool! it must just be rude doctors in my region :tongue: I'm going to try again mind you!

i've got a placement at a GP for 5-6 weeks *gulp* but should be good! Also hoping it will lead onto more in the future.

yh, tbh it might just be a numbers game, just try, try, try, and try again :smile:
'The sun streaks were high on the wall now, and the light was growing soft in the barn. Curley's wife lay on her back, and she was half covered in hay'

Why did steinbeck only choose to cover half of her body?

What does the hay represent?

And what is the meaning of the light?

deeply appreciated if you could answer these :smile:
Original post by Paparazzo
You made me feel shiny and new

like a virgin

touched for the very first time

Lol, whenever i think of that song i always remember my geography teacher who used to sing that song to remind us what greenfield sites are. she is such a legend
Reply 1794
Original post by larryb
yh, tbh it might just be a numbers game, just try, try, try, and try again :smile:

yeh - oddly earlier I wrote down a load of numbers of different depts. to try tomorrow - did you do it by phone or letter?
Original post by science-oliver
'The sun streaks were high on the wall now, and the light was growing soft in the barn. Curley's wife lay on her back, and she was half covered in hay'

Why did steinbeck only choose to cover half of her body?

What does the hay represent?

And what is the meaning of the light?

deeply appreciated if you could answer these :smile:

This is the way I see it (I may be wrong though :tongue:):
The light is described as "growing soft." As light is a symbol of hope and dreams, perhaps the fact that it is getting softer shows us that George and Lennie's dreams are just about to fade away now? Or it could symbolise the fact that Curley's wife's dream has finished and it can never become a reality?

Don't have any ideas for the other questions though :tongue:
Reply 1796
Original post by usycool1
Hey! :biggrin: Just some tips from me:

Of Mice and Men:

Always bring in some contextual comments (e.g. "This is typical of 1930s America where....")

Always quote/use close textual analysis when you are illustrating points about language or character.

For an introduction, do not describe Steinbeck, 1930s America or the general story of the novel. The introduction should answer the question.

Make sure you spend about 5 minutes (no more as more wastes time) planning. It really does help whilst writing the essay :smile:

Don't use pre-prepared material. For example, if you have memorised an answer from a revision guide, and by some luck, the same question comes up in the exam, try not to write exactly what it says in the revision guide. Examiners like to see you thinking and they can spot when people just write out memorised answers and they don't like this.

Try to mention language at least once. But don't concentrate so much on language that you forget to mention Steinbeck's key intentions.

Don't just spot literary techniques-explain what they do too :smile:

An Inspector Calls
I haven't studied this play, but these are some tips I have in general for writing about plays:

Always see yourselves as the audience of the play. So instead of writing, "This shows the reader that..." write "This shows the audience...."

The stage directions are always part of the dramatic action. Try and visualise them and then write about them, if that makes sense :tongue:

Don't talk about punctuation. Remember, the audience won't be able to see the punctuation :smile:

Good luck mate! I'm sure you'll do amazingly :biggrin:

If I think of any other points, I'll post them :smile:

Thanks for the help, man :smile: really hope I can get an A in this :biggrin: :biggrin: but not feelin too confident tbh :frown:
Its because its such as amazing career, I've wanted to be involved in medicine since I was little, I used to make these 'hospitals' where my big bear teddy would lie down and i would operate. I had real needles and everything, made 'drips' out of those air filled bags you get as packaging...it was fun times!

I did have a dip last year or so when I realised how difficult it would be.. still, I certainly won't achieve my dream unless I try!

Awww, cute!! Hope no one though that i was trying to discourage anybody, i was simply "thinking aloud" about the massive popularity of it!

Original post by larryb
well i come from a long line of surgeons so that opened the door for me to get a real understanding of what it is like. I want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon myself, I'm doing bio, chem, physics, math, critical thinking for ALevel :smile: and aiming for 7A*+ at gcse

Haha, i'm the complete opposite of you in the fact that none of my relations have ever done anything medically related! Cardiothoracics- always seems to sound impressive- aim high i guess! What sort of surgery did your other relatives do?
Original post by lil-mazie
Yeah get to the back of the queue love, Lol i'm joking I aim to dentistry but my grades aren't the best like As and A*s but i still want to achieve it and you should too it's a great profession
:biggrin:

Lol nah I'm sure if you work hard and do your best then you can achieve it. I aim to work really hard so I can achieve it :biggrin:
Original post by nyami001.303
Oh wow, your not allowed the book in your exam? And there was me thinking AQA English was hard :colondollar:
I have Of Mice and Men and The Crucible tomorrow and then Poetry on Thursday. The only thing that is stopping me from killing myself now is the thought that in 3 more days I will never have to worry about making 'insightful' comments again :smile:

We're not allowed any of books, we have to learn quotes and what happens in the book off by heart,I dont know what they were thinking its IMPOSSIBLE and makes everything so much harder,oh well.

Good Luck! JUST 3 MORE DAYS THEN WE WILL BE FREEEEE.

(Until I start A-Level English Lang/Lit which im starting to regret taking that's if I don't fail the exam tomorrow.. )

Latest