The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by raheem94
y=arccos(x) y = \arccos(x)

Take the cos of both sides

cosy=x \cos y = x

We know cosy=sin(π2y) \cos y = \sin \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 - y \right)

Hence, sin(π2y)=x    π2y=arcsin(x) \displaystyle \sin \left( \frac{\pi}2 - y \right) = x \implies \frac{\pi}2 - y = \arcsin(x)

Yup I understood that section, but what I was asking was why using sin(y+π/2) on a graph transformation would not give the correct answer. Sorry if I didn't phrase that clearly.
You both are wrong, see my post.

That is so weird ..at 1:25 I edited...at 1:25 you posted this -- :rolleyes:

em how can we differentiate

sin3x[br]cos3x[br]tan3xsin^3 x [br]cos^3 x [br]tan^3 x
Original post by arvin_infinity
That is so weird ..at 1:25 I edited...at 1:25 you posted this -- :rolleyes:

em how can we differentiate

sin3x[br]cos3x[br]tan3xsin^3 x [br]cos^3 x [br]tan^3 x

May be we both did it at the same time.

For these questions use the chain rule.

y=[f(x)]ndydx=nf(x)[f(x)]n1 y = [f(x)]^n \\ \dfrac{dy}{dx} = nf'(x)[f(x)]^{n-1}

I will do one question for you.

y=cos3x=(cosx)3 y = \cos^3 x = ( \cos x)^3

Differentiating it gives, dydx=3×(cosx)31×(sinx)=3sinxcos2x \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 3 \times ( \cos x)^{3-1} \times (- \sin x ) = - 3 \sin x \cos ^2 x
May be we both did it at the same time.

For these questions use the chain rule.

y=[f(x)]ndydx=nf(x)[f(x)]n1 y = [f(x)]^n \\ \dfrac{dy}{dx} = nf'(x)[f(x)]^{n-1}

I will do one question for you.

y=cos3x=(cosx)3 y = \cos^3 x = ( \cos x)^3

Differentiating it gives, dydx=3×(cosx)31×(sinx)=3sinxcos2x \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 3 \times ( \cos x)^{3-1} \times (- \sin x ) = - 3 \sin x \cos ^2 x

I was meant to ask a totally different question..was gonna say what is the integration of those- might as well ask them later on for C4 page then
Original post by zincoff
Yup I understood that section, but what I was asking was why using sin(y+π/2) on a graph transformation would not give the correct answer. Sorry if I didn't phrase that clearly.

We usually write it as sin(π2x)=cos(x) and cos(π2x)=sin(x) \sin \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 -x \right) = \cos(x) \text{ and } \cos \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 - x \right) = \sin (x)

I can't think of the answer to your question right now.

The results are usually quoted as 90-x in the books.
Original post by arvin_infinity
I was meant to ask a totally different question..was gonna say what is the integration of those- might as well ask them later on for C4 page then

I=sin3x dx \displaystyle I = \int \sin^3 x \ dx

sin3x=sinx(sin2x)=sinx(1cos2x)=sinxsinxcos2x \sin^3 x = \sin x ( \sin^2 x ) = \sin x ( 1 - \cos^2 x ) = \sin x - \sin x \cos^2 x

I=sin3x dx=(sinxsinxcos2x) dx \displaystyle I = \int \sin^3 x \ dx = \int \left( \sin x - \sin x \cos^2 x \right) \ dx

To integrate sinxcos2x dx \displaystyle \int - \sin x \cos^2 x \ dx we differentiate cos3x \cos^3 x

Hence, I=sin3x dx=cosx+13cos3x+C \displaystyle I = \int \sin^3 x \ dx = - \cos x + \dfrac13 \cos^3 x + C

Others will be integrated in a similar way.

Though to integrate higher powers of cosnx \cos^n x we use the reduction formula or de moivre theorem, however this stuff isn't in C4.
Reply 386
We usually write it as sin(π2x)=cos(x) and cos(π2x)=sin(x) \sin \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 -x \right) = \cos(x) \text{ and } \cos \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 - x \right) = \sin (x)

I can't think of the answer to your question right now.

The results are usually quoted as 90-x in the books.

That's alright :smile:. Thank you!
Reply 387
Hey people.
Can someone help with Review Exercise 1, Q8 (Edexcel C3 Book) i know how to do be but i don't know how to use the graph to find the function of f. Thanks
Reply 388
For solving trigonometric equations which ask for answers in radians, is it ok to do all calculations in degrees and convert the answers to radians at the end ? Thanks !
Reply 389
help me with this question please!

Use the identities for (sinA + sinB) and (cosA + cosB) to prove that

sin 2x + sin 2y
_______________ = tan (x+y)
cos 2x + cos 2y
Reply 390
Original post by ViixKey
Hey people.
Can someone help with Review Exercise 1, Q8 (Edexcel C3 Book) i know how to do be but i don't know how to use the graph to find the function of f. Thanks

you dont have to find an equation for f(x), find g(root 23) first which is = 5

Now to figure out f(5) you use the graph, find x=5 in the graph and i think you can carry on from here ! :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by Puloot
help me with this question please!

Use the identities for (sinA + sinB) and (cosA + cosB) to prove that

sin 2x + sin 2y
_______________ = tan (x+y)
cos 2x + cos 2y

SinP + Sin Q = 2* sin[(P+Q)/2 ] * cos[(P-Q)/2 ]

and CosP + Cos Q =2 * cos[(P+Q)/2 ] * cos[(P-Q)/2 ]

P=2x , Q=2y

using this you get

2 sin(x+y) cos(x-y)
--------------------------
2 cos(x+y) cos (x-y)

sin(x+y)
-----------
cos(x+y)

tan(x+y)
Reply 392
Original post by shahruk
SinP + Sin Q = 2* sin[(P+Q)/2 ] * cos[(P-Q)/2 ]

and CosP + Cos Q =2 * cos[(P+Q)/2 ] * cos[(P-Q)/2 ]

P=2x , Q=2y

using this you get

2 sin(x+y) cos(x-y)
--------------------------
2 cos(x+y) cos (x-y)

sin(x+y)
-----------
cos(x+y)

tan(x+y)

Thank youuuu!
Original post by zincoff
That's alright :smile:. Thank you!

y=arccos(x)    cos(y)=x    x=sin(π2+y)    arcsin(x)=π2+y \displaystyle y = \arccos (x) \implies \cos (y) = x \implies x = \sin \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 + y \right) \\ \implies \boxed{ \arcsin (x) = \dfrac{\pi}2 + y }

The range of y y is 0yπ 0\leq y\leq \pi

So this method gives, π2arcsinx3π2 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\leq \arcsin x \leq \frac{3\pi}{2}

While the range of arcsin(x) \arcsin (x) is π2arcsin(x)π2 \displaystyle - \frac{\pi}2 \le \arcsin (x) \le \frac{\pi}2

Hence, we can't do this.
Reply 394
y=arccos(x)    cos(y)=x    x=sin(π2+y)    arcsin(x)=π2+y \displaystyle y = \arccos (x) \implies \cos (y) = x \implies x = \sin \left( \dfrac{\pi}2 + y \right) \\ \implies \boxed{ \arcsin (x) = \dfrac{\pi}2 + y }

The range of y y is 0yπ 0\leq y\leq \pi

So this method gives, π2arcsinx3π2 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\leq \arcsin x \leq \frac{3\pi}{2}

While the range of arcsin(x) \arcsin (x) is π2arcsin(x)π2 \displaystyle - \frac{\pi}2 \le \arcsin (x) \le \frac{\pi}2

Hence, we can't do this.

Reply 395
There is no need to draw a graph.

f(x)=2x+3x1=2(x1)+5x1=2(x1)x1+5x1=2+5x1 f(x) = \dfrac{2x+3}{x-1} = \dfrac{2(x-1)+5}{x-1} = \dfrac{2(x-1)}{x-1} + \dfrac5{x-1} = 2 + \dfrac5{x-1}

We know the domain of f(x) f(x) is x>1 x > 1

So by looking at f(x)=2+5x1 f(x) = 2 +\dfrac5{x-1} we can deduce that the range of f(x)f(x) is f(x)>2 f(x) > 2

The range of f(x) f(x) is the domain of f(x) f'(x)

Hence the domain of f(x) f'(x) is x>2 x > 2

Hope it makes sense :smile:

A useful method that doesn't required a sketch. A little slip at the end though...

The range of f(x) f(x) is the domain of f1(x) f^{-1}(x)

Hence the domain of f1(x) f^{-1}(x) is x>2 x > 2
Hey people. This things been bugging me.
It says in the C3 book, in the example find

f(x) = f-1 (x)

then it solves it for you, but it just says to make it easier solving it goes straight to f(x) = x

how does this work?
Reply 397
Original post by sajidmatin
Hey people. This things been bugging me.
It says in the C3 book, in the example find

f(x) = f-1 (x)

then it solves it for you, but it just says to make it easier solving it goes straight to f(x) = x

how does this work?

Do you mean on p27 where is states...?

Whenf(x)=f1(x)f(x)=f^{-1}(x)

f(x)=xf(x)=x

By definition of the inverse function, f-1(x) is a reflection of f(x) about the line y=x. Therefore f-1(x) and f(x) will intersect on the line y=x, so f(x)=x at the point of intersection.

I agree with you that the book should have expanded this to make it more clear. I've attached a graph of the functions used in their example.

Blue : f1(x)=x+3f^{-1}(x)=\sqrt{x+3}

Red : y=xy = x

Green : f(x)=x23,x>0f(x)=x^2-3, x>0
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 398
Original post by pwcroberts
None as such but you will need to be able to show all of the double angle formulae and factor formulae from the trig expansions.

Also it is possible you may have to prove some of the standard derrivatives in the formula book by using the derrivatives of sin and cos

okay thanks, think I can do all that (hopefully)!
Reply 399
Original post by grazie
Because the range of f(x) is f(x) > 2

It's well worth doing a quick sketch rather than trying to 'plug in' numbers. As stated in in the previous post, I think changing the fraction makes it much more obvious to see where the asymptotes are. So for the inverse function

f1(x)=x+3x21+5x2f^{-1}(x)=\frac {x+3}{x-2} \equiv 1 + \frac {5}{x-2}

It's obvious that there's horizontal asymptote at y=1 and a vertical asymptote at x=2.

Thankyou! :biggrin: Makes sense now, I guess I'll just have to remember to long divide in the exam :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending