The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by JoeK
If I was a Chelsea player, I wouldn't be happy that he's come out and said this publicly so soon after winning the CL.

Ahhh this makes sense. Cheers.

I know, it's the fact that they've just won the Champions League for the first time ever and it is the greatest night in Chelsea's history and all he can say is that he's not happy with not being number one. Sorry Torres it's not like Liverpool where if it's not you, it's N'Gog.
Reply 181
Original post by orionmoo

You do realise how stupid that picture is right?
Reply 183
Original post by orionmoo

enjoy the left pic. that is as close you'll get to seeing the trophy come to anfield. wont come in the near future if you keep on changing managers after buying average players, and being midtable.

Problem with AVB was that he expected players to just fit in his system. He believed in the system more than the players. And his man management is woeful - if he took over you lot, how would he handle the Gerrard/Carra situations?
Reply 185
Original post by Kevmeister
Problem with AVB was that he expected players to just fit in his system. He believed in the system more than the players. And his man management is woeful - if he took over you lot, how would he handle the Gerrard/Carra situations?

Point. Same with Rafa. Subbing players after two goals, never ever smiling or congratulating them. It's a risky way of playing things and one I don't really like personally.
Reply 186
Original post by DaveSmith99
You do realise how stupid that picture is right?

Taken at completely different points in the journey haha

However, it is no question that there were MUCH less people at Chelseas parade then the 2005 one. No question. Media saying attendance reached a max of 100k in London but I remember at the 2005 homecoming media were reporting some 700,000 turned out in Liverpool.
Reply 187

Yeah I mentioned that earlier. We haven't got the same egos that Chelsea have but he'd have to realise that you can't just upset the big players at any club or you'll lose the whole dressing room. The way he handled things at Chelsea was disastrous, hopefully he'll have learnt his lesson if he comes to Liverpool.

Original post by Jim-Jam
Point. Same with Rafa. Subbing players after two goals, never ever smiling or congratulating them. It's a risky way of playing things and one I don't really like personally.

Don't think Rafa was as bad as AVB though, who's a proper control freak according to reports.
Reply 188

Carragher is not even a first teamer anymore. Our situation is a lot more desperate than Chelseas. Chelseas squad just came off finishing second in the league and won a cup double before that and were basically told they were not good enough. You can see why they and evidently their owner thought this was bull. Our squad having finished 7th, 6th than 8th have no reason to be egotistical, about anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 189
I don't get why players need to be babied. You'd think they didn't earn thousands a week to play football.
Reply 190
Original post by Pn94
Yeah I mentioned that earlier. We haven't got the same egos that Chelsea have but he'd have to realise that you can't just upset the big players at any club or you'll lose the whole dressing room. The way he handled things at Chelsea was disastrous, hopefully he'll have learnt his lesson if he comes to Liverpool.

Don't think Rafa was as bad as AVB though, who's a proper control freak according to reports.

Yeah. 'Celebrate with me when you score' etc. Still a good manager but I'm not convinced about him in the PL. At least Rafa had Sammy Lee to do all of the personal stuff I think.

Talking of which, the dismissal of him might have had something to do with the failures this year? Possibility of being a factor.
It will be interesting to see if the new manager takes on board KD's transfer targets (like Belhanda) or if the backroom abandon those plans completely.
Reply 192
Original post by Jim-Jam
Yeah. 'Celebrate with me when you score' etc. Still a good manager but I'm not convinced about him in the PL. At least Rafa had Sammy Lee to do all of the personal stuff I think.

Talking of which, the dismissal of him might have had something to do with the failures this year? Possibility of being a factor.

The celebration stuff was cringeworthy, seems the pressure really got to him tbh. We've still got Steve Clarke though (and maybe Kevin Keen) who'll already know the players well.

Sammy Lee was around under Hodgson and we were ****e then too. But maybe he was our attacking coach and we failed to replace him properly.
Original post by sofkop
Carragher is not even a first teamer anymore. Our situation is a lot more desperate than Chelseas. Chelseas squad just came off finishing second in the league and won a cup double before that and were basically told they were not good enough. You can see why they and evidently their owner thought this was bull. Our squad having finished 7th, 6th than 8th have no reason to be egotistical, about anything.

Carra still needs to be managed properly. AVB has shown that he's incapable of doing that.
Original post by lol_this
enjoy the left pic. that is as close you'll get to seeing the trophy come to anfield. wont come in the near future if you keep on changing managers after buying average players, and being midtable.

Actually since we've won it 5 times, we get to keep the trophy permanently - so it is relatively close to us regardless of how far we are away from the Champions League. :h:

I can pretty much say that you wont be enjoying a 5th Champions League victory in the near future either, regardless of who else you support in the UK. :smile:
Reply 195
Carra still needs to be managed properly. AVB has shown that he's incapable of doing that.

Incapable? Sure.
Original post by Mr.Messy
Actually since we've won it 5 times, we get to keep the trophy permanently - so it is relatively close to us regardless of how far we are away from the Champions League. :h:

I can pretty much say that you wont be enjoying a 5th Champions League victory in the near future either, regardless of who else you support in the UK. :smile:

Just ignore it. It's not worth the time or the effort.
Reply 197

No, Carragher should be able to understand and respect the managers decisions. He's not played much this season as it is, and we will have far more games next season for him. Gerrard will probably continue going in and out of the team with injuries as well.

I think AVB will have learnt a lot from the Chelsea experience. It's what mistakes are for. He'll have spent the time since his sacking learning what to do next time, it's the kind of manager he is.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by lol_this

Actually, we have the trophy for good as we've won it 5 times.
Original post by Mighty Moe
Actually, we have the trophy for good as we've won it 5 times.

Original post by Mr.Messy

I was going to reply with the same thing, but thought better as I thought it was common knowledge we have a full sized trophy, not that any WUMs know better anyway...

I posted the photo as I thought it was a funny, I did not provide any comment to either support or discredit the two photos.

Latest