The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780

Maybe they're doing what Liverpool hoped Wigan would do and keeping things behind closed doors, as you should.

That article also has no quotes from today. They're all from Monday.
Reply 781
I was just looking through some of Jenkins old tweets. He said this about a week ago.

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
R.E people telling me rodgers turned #lfc down: they will try again. if B.R gets the job expect a bid for joe allen, heavily scouted last yr

What do people think of Joe Allen? He's certainly a tidy player. I can't say I watched him closely apart from the last few games of the season, though.
Joe Allen is a fantastic young player who is only going to get better. Very tidy on the ball, intelligent and plays the game the right way. I've wanted him for a while, fantastic player and I'm a big fan of him.

I'm not biased though, being Welsh :P
Reply 783
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Joe Allen is a fantastic young player who is only going to get better. Very tidy on the ball, intelligent and plays the game the right way. I've wanted him for a while, fantastic player and I'm a big fan of him.

I'm not biased though, being Welsh :P

Yeah you could see his intelligence coming through in the few games that I saw. His short passing game looked great, and he looked pretty pivotal to Swansea's style.

Seeing as Rodgers likes to play a 4-3-3 having both him and Lucas in there would certainly give us two players with great short passing. What's the rest of his passing etc like? I never realised he was only 22 as well. For some reason I thought he was a good 2-3 years older. Tells you about his mentality/maturity tbh.
Reply 784
Original post by JoeK
Yeah you could see his intelligence coming through in the few games that I saw. His short passing game looked great, and he looked pretty pivotal to Swansea's style.

Seeing as Rodgers likes to play a 4-3-3 having both him and Lucas in there would certainly give us two players with great short passing. What's the rest of his passing etc like? I never realised he was only 22 as well. For some reason I thought he was a good 2-3 years older. Tells you about his mentality/maturity tbh.

Hello fellow reds!

Anyway, Joe Allen is a fantastic little player and would work extremely well with Lucas and would do well to replace him when needed. He even has substantial pace which Lucas does not have. I reckon he's better than Aaron Ramsey already.

We should give Swansea Spearing and get Allen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 785
Original post by Kevmeister
My original point was that the deal is not 'inexplicably' large - Liverpool are still a massive draw in Asia. Just like Arsenal yous undersold yourselves when you signed the last deal with Adidas.

Inexplicably large for Liverpool in it's current position.
Reply 786
I read somewhere that Warrior are also doing Sevillas kits next season.
Reply 787
It is going to be ridiculously difficult to get top four as everyone will be strengthening. It's the thing that makes this season so frustrating, you only had to be half decent to be in the top four. Arsenal are third placed but have suffered ten defeats. Wierd that.

I think the owners have set their benchmark and fourth is what they want in order for us to push on sufficiently in the future, attract better players and break our very own Bambino curse. For this to happen, they need to be giving the new manager money to spend. It's a weird one with FSG because nobody really knows how much money they have or how willing they are with it. I mean last summer I never thought we'd be splashing out 20m and 16m on Downings and Hendersons? It's like at that time money wasn't an issue and if we wanted a player, we'd pay.

I just hope our scouting network is a lot smarter this summer but we do give the manager what he needs. As much as we and oppo fans like to say, the team isn't a completely crap one. It's decent. It's a squad full of squad players. Our first 11 is not good enough. It needs at least 3 players to suffieciently be attaining around 75 points a season. Which is usually a safe tally to be third. If you do that and then have our bench with the Downings and the Bellamy's. It'll be a strong team. Capable enough. Not jaw droppingly quality entrenched like City's or Chelsea's soon-to-be but it won't be as thread bare as ours or Arsenal's current one.

That being said, we've been saying this every year. Whether the powers that be act on it is a whole different question.

If the rumours are true and the management team will comprise of Rodgers/Martinez, LVG and Segura. It looks like we will be buying a few technically gifted and talented players rather than the buy british and premier league proven strategy we tried last summer.

I think the future is bright tbh. I feel good about it. I just hope Anfield gets behind the team and we don't lose any big players like Reina, Skrtel or Suarez. Though I am confident we can keep them. Reina has had a bad season. Suarez would cost too much. However, I can really see Skrtel being at City next season. I just don't know why I can just feel it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 788
Agger has made Skrtel look better this season and he's been linked with teams for around 20m, which I would certainly take
So what happens when Friday comes and goes and we haven't appointed a manager? :tongue:
Reply 790
Reply 791
Original post by Zerforax
So what happens when Friday comes and goes and we haven't appointed a manager? :tongue:

I'm sure David Whelan will be the one who appoints our new manager to the world, a few days before Liverpool does. So expect it anytime soon. :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by pbsjohnz
I'm sure David Whelan will be the one who appoints our new manager to the world, a few days before Liverpool does. So expect it anytime soon. :tongue:

Only if it is Martinez.

I'd love it if it turned out to be someone completely random :colondollar:
Reply 793
Original post by saggy8
Agger has made Skrtel look better this season and he's been linked with teams for around 20m, which I would certainly take

Eh? Sktrel was player of the season by a country mile.

You don;t sell your top players if you want to progress
Reply 794
Original post by Zerforax
Only if it is Martinez.

I'd love it if it turned out to be someone completely random :colondollar:

Even if it's not Martinez lol, he seems to know so much about all the other clubs. Everyday he is on the phone with sky sports, I'm sure he has a secret job there or something.

Soldado doesn't make Spain's squad for the Euros. He's 27 now so perhaps too old for FSG model? Although Downing was that age..

Has scored regularly for both Getafe and Valencia for 4 season, scoring 20+ in all competitions for the past 3 years.

Valencia bought him for 10mil euros 2 years ago, would probably cost a lot more now but worth a punt?

No Euros for him, means less showcasing and shouldn't see a dramatic rise in his price.

Would be cheaper than Giroud etc imo. Would give some experience up front and enough of a gap for Carroll to develop for a couple of years and then take over?

I'll probably never see a better Liverpool player in my lifetime.
Reply 797
He's 32 today :frown: He's getting old. He's always been my favourite player.
Reply 798
I also really want to respond in the thread about what club people hate but I'll end up getting in a huge debate and I need to revise with 2 exams in the next two days :frown:

But just skimming over it you'd think every Liverpool fan was responsible for Heysel and therefore we should all feel responsible to some extent and feel guilty... what kind of retarded logic is that?
Original post by Deshi
I also really want to respond in the thread about what club people hate but I'll end up getting in a huge debate and I need to revise with 2 exams in the next two days :frown:

But just skimming over it you'd think every Liverpool fan was responsible for Heysel and therefore we should all feel responsible to some extent and feel guilty... what kind of retarded logic is that?

Yeah just leave it, haters will hate. Barely anything they say counts to the majority of fans anyway. Apparently we all sign our posts with "-YNWA", we all say were Scouse not English, we all endorse RAWK and we all apparently think Mourinho was going to manage us too. Oh and I forgot to mention we are all racist and think Suarez is the pinnacle of moral behavior.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest