The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stirlo
Arsenal's model imo, yes it'll cost us more money but with a system likes Spurs a few injuries can wreck a period of the season.

It's a tough one..

For example Arsenal have Gibbs and Santos as LB or say AOC and Walcott to play on the right wing or even Gervinho and Arshavin for the left wing previously.

Compared to say having just Bale or just Lennon and then just BAE.

I'd say the latter are of better quality but your point about injuries are very valid.

Basically - should we buy 2 x 10mil wingers or buy 1 winger for 20mil?
Reply 981
Now we apparently agreed compensation with Swansea and 3 of their backroom staff.
Reply 982
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7788454/Lucas-eyes-pre-season-return

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva says he is in the final stage of his lengthy recovery from knee surgery and hopes to be fit for the Reds' pre-season.

The Brazilian saw his campaign cut short in November after suffering anterior cruciate ligament damage to his left knee in Liverpool's 2-0 Carling Cup win over Chelsea.

Lucas underwent an operation on the problem the following month and has been recovering ever since, with the midfielder currently continuing his rehabilitation in his native Brazil.

After six months on the sidelines, the 25-year-old is hungry to return to action and hopes to be fully recovered in time for next season.

He told Brazilian TV channel Sportv: "I'm in the final stage of my recovery. I've been recovering for six months.

"I am currently in the physical stage, aiming to be back for pre-season, so that I can be back on the pitch as soon as possible."

:dance::woo:
Original post by Zerforax
It's a tough one..

For example Arsenal have Gibbs and Santos as LB or say AOC and Walcott to play on the right wing or even Gervinho and Arshavin for the left wing previously.

Compared to say having just Bale or just Lennon and then just BAE.

I'd say the latter are of better quality but your point about injuries are very valid.

Basically - should we buy 2 x 10mil wingers or buy 1 winger for 20mil?

If we bought 1 x 20 mil winger we could keep Kuyt and/or Maxi for another year and then hopefully Raheem Sterling will be ready.... :colone: That boy has skills!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Now we apparently agreed compensation with Swansea and 3 of their backroom staff.

That's good news, the sooner we get moving, the better.

Hopefully Clarke agrees to stay and he provides his analysis on where we need to improve. I'm sure Rodgers has some ideas but it's not the same as seeing players day in and out. He's not really going to be in a position to assess the squad till late August.
Neil Jones ‏@neiljonesecho
Pascoe is Rodgers’ right-hand man, and first-team coach. Driscoll is conditioning expert, and Davies is a highly-rated young match analyst.

I understand #LFC will also be taking three key members of Swansea’s backroom staff. They are Colin Pascoe, Chris Davies and Glen Driscoll.

Would Pascoe be replacing Clarke then?
Reply 986
That's good news, the sooner we get moving, the better.

Hopefully Clarke agrees to stay and he provides his analysis on where we need to improve. I'm sure Rodgers has some ideas but it's not the same as seeing players day in and out. He's not really going to be in a position to assess the squad till late August.

I'm worried that if Rodgers is bringing all his staff in, where does that leave the FSG structure?
Reply 987
Original post by kuks
I'm worried that if Rodgers is bringing all his staff in, where does that leave the FSG structure?

First team coach, Conditioning and Analyst positions would all still exist under the FSG structure.

The big question is will we have a DoF, A technical and sporting director or none?
Clarke and Keen sacked to make way for the new backroom staff?
If you're hiring BR then you let BR do it his way. Clarke tried to resign anyway.
Original post by kuks

Like L18 says, FSG structure is basically above Rodgers whereas Rodgers is bringing in his team to work below him.

Original post by L18
First team coach, Conditioning and Analyst positions would all still exist under the FSG structure.

The big question is will we have a DoF, A technical and sporting director or none?

I think it's been agreed that DoF hasn't work with Comolli so I think they've scrapped that but want a bigger team to split the responsibility. Think they believe too many individuals have made too many mistakes so its time to spread the power to try and catch or debate issues before we make mistakes.

Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
Clarke and Keen sacked to make way for the new backroom staff?

Clarke to stay assistant, Pascoe to be first team coach and Keen out of a job? FSG seem to want to retain Clarke..

Wonder if Clarke will be happy about it - he was basically more senior than Rodgers at Chelsea - it's hard to have someone previously below you to then be in charge..
Reply 991
According to Duncan Jenkins, van Gaal is a no go now. That only really leaves Txiki doesn't it?
Reply 992
Original post by L18

I'm still expecting the DoF role to be split between two roles, a technical director and a Sporting Director. I don't see FSG adjusting their plans just because they got Rodgers, otherwise what was the point of not adjusting them for Martinez. After all, there isn't a massive difference between the two managers, IMO. I'd say Rodgers would suit the system more than Martinez, if the rumours of it being either LVG or Txiki joining and Segura being promoted are true.
duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
@Paul_LFC L.V.G now looks like a dead horse. txiki was the only other man they went for so it seems it will either be a promotion or txiki.
Benitez as Director of Football :awesome:
Txiki + Segura + Rodgers would work fine for me..
Reply 996
Txiki + Segura + Rodgers would work fine for me..

Along with Borrell that would be three of the people that were around when this Barcelona generation were getting promoted. Given Rodgers philosophy and going to Barca/Ajax to learn from coaches etc as well... :sogood:

Ignore me while I dream... :moon:
Original post by JoeK
Along with Borrell that would be three of the people that were around when this Barcelona generation were getting promoted. Given Rodgers philosophy and going to Barca/Ajax to learn from coaches etc as well... :sogood:

Ignore me while I dream... :moon:

It's more that Txiki has obvious experience as a DoF/technical director at a club which has a brand bigger than ourselves. Be useful to have a man who has experience behind him, everyone else is relatively juniour in experience to their positions.

He's young at 47 but he had 7 years experience at Barcelona. The dream team could easily run the club for the next 10-15 years :sexface:
Liverpool have removed the final barrier in the way of appointing Brendan Rodgers as manager after agreeing a compensation package with Swansea City.

Swansea were entitled to around £5m in compensation for Rodgers due to the three-and-a-half year contract their former manager signed in January. The package includes payoffs for several members of the Swansea backroom staff illustrating that, while Fenway Sports Group intends to install a new management structure at Anfield, the new manager has control over his team and will not be subservient to a sporting director.

Rodgers is, however, expected to be part of a sporting director-type model at Anfield and accepted that framework during talks with John W Henry and Tom Werner, Liverpool's principal owner and chairman respectively. Further appointments are expected over the coming weeks.

The 39-year-old's insistence on bringing his own team with him to Merseyside may prompt the departure of Steve Clarke from Anfield and ends Louis van Gaal's prospects of joining Liverpool. The Dutchman met Liverpool officials to discuss the sporting director role and also the managerial vacancy but, as talks progressed with Rodgers and Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic, both of whom were reluctant to work with Van Gaal, FSG backed away from that appointment. Liverpool's owners considered several candidates as manager, including Andre Villas-Boas, before settling on Rodgers. Martínez was never offered the Liverpool job.

Clarke, assistant manager to Kenny Dalglish, offered his resignation in the wake of Dalglish's sacking but that was rejected. The Scot has worked with Rodgers previously at Chelsea but tendered his resignation two weeks ago out of loyalty to Dalglish.

Rodgers agreed personal terms on a three-year contract at Liverpool on Wednesday and is expected to bring his assistant Colin Pascoe, conditioning expert Glen Driscoll and chief match analyst Chris Davies with him to Anfield. He may also attempt to hijack Swansea's £6.8m deal with Hoffenheim for Gylfi Sigurdsson. Swansea agreed a club record transfer for the Iceland midfielder earlier this week but Sigurdsson has yet to sign a contract.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/31/liverpool-swansea-compensation-brendan-rodgers

I guess we expect an annoucement tomorrow?
Reply 999
Henderson going to the Euros as well. Well in Henderson, hope he does ok.

But 5 of our players in there playing for England... Wow?!

Latest