The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Tommyjw

Little bit of a dodgy slogan?
Just me?

First line is dodgy.
Reply 1181
You should see their Twitter feed. It's even worse.
Reply 1182
Original post by kuks
You should see their Twitter feed. It's even worse.

They seem to RT everyone and everything.
Reply 1183
Original post by Pn94
They seem to RT everyone and everything.

They were arguing what meff meant with a couple of people earlier!
Reply 1184
Original post by kuks

That is actually pretty funny tbh :lol:
You reckon you'll end up bidding like £20m for Sinclair or something?
Bye guys - im off on holiday for a week so probably wont be on except once or twice mid week perhaps.

See yall soon!
Reply 1187
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

Definitely not, especially as we've got a agreement that we won't signing any swansea players for 12months
Reply 1188
Original post by kuks

:rofl2: Who the hell is in charge of their twitter!

Original post by orionmoo
Bye guys - im off on holiday for a week so probably wont be on except once or twice mid week perhaps.

See yall soon!

Have a good holiday :yy:
Original post by So Instinct
What about players like Adam, Downing, Carragher, Aqua and Cole?
I'd be thinking about shifting most of those if not all. Get a decent amount plus around 30M from owners too. We will have a good amount for some pretty good players. Strengthen as much as we can so we get the best start possible, every point counts!

Buy a striker a new winger and strengthen centre mid somewhat.

Carragher - my only bone with him is how much we pay him in wages is not relative to how much quality he now gives on the pitch. It's good to retain people who have been at the club so long, lower his wages, start mixing him into the coaching set up

Downing - He's getting a lot of stick but some of the basic attributes are there, I'd say he's a better option than Riera/Pennant were. The problem is that the team played poor and confidence was low so he struggled too. Stick him in team in form and I think we'd see a very different Downing. Swansea players have commented on how Rodgers makes them "feel like a million dollars" (despite actually getting paid that and more in most cases..), I think Rodgers will be able to get more out of him. We need some depth on the flanks, even if I want more wingers.

Aquilani - I think it's been unfair on him in part, Woy didn't want him, Kenny didn't think he'd play enough. Aquilani wanted to be in Italy and also try to get into the Italian squad for the Euros. I think he now realises his international career is effectively over and the fact that he's played in Roma, Juventus and AC Milan in 4 seasons yet no big club in Italy have made a serious play in buying him, he must realise it's not going to happen for him in Italy. We've heard promising comments for a long long time from Aquilani about wanting to play for Liverpool. He'd fit into Rodger's type of play well and imo would be great for breaking down those smaller teams. He's that player who can play the quick pass either vertically or horizontally in the final third in an effective and creative manner. Even if we did sell him, we'd have to spend at least 10mil trying to replace him imo, since it's an obvious position we're lacking. He's got 2 years left, AC Milan won't buy him for circa 5mil, we can sell him for that same price next summer when he's got a year left on his contract.

Cole - I simply don't think he's going to make it. If he was on 20k a week, I'd be less inclined to care but on the reported 90-100k? Not worth it and it's killing our wage bill by having an extra 5mil a year on it. Can we really afford to spend say 4-5% of our wage bill on him? I don't think so. He's done well at Lille and I think it's the perfect time to try and shift him off the books.

Adam - He's an easy scapegoat at the moment, and I enjoy slagging him off for no particular reason.
He shouldn't be on unreasonably wages and give more depth to our midfield. Problem is that he doesn't suit our style of play, and I don't think he'll suit Rodger's either. He basically needs to be the lynchpin to a smaller team which aims to get the ball up the pitch quickly and effectively. His passing is risky but can pay off for teams which don't retain the ball well. Opposite to what we need. If we could get a good fee, I'd be tempted to sell tbh but I'm not sure we could and again squad depth is an issue. Think I'd rather see Shelvey get a full season on loan somewhere than sit on our bench.
Reply 1190
Original post by Zerforax
Carragher - my only bone with him is how much we pay him in wages is not relative to how much quality he now gives on the pitch. It's good to retain people who have been at the club so long, lower his wages, start mixing him into the coaching set up

Completely agree about Carragher, his wages are insane for how much he actually plays. I really don't understand why he was offered that amount even if he is the VC. He must have been offered those wages when he was about 29(?) which is ridiculous for a player who at most has 2-3 seasons at his top level.

Downing - He's getting a lot of stick but some of the basic attributes are there, I'd say he's a better option than Riera/Pennant were. The problem is that the team played poor and confidence was low so he struggled too. Stick him in team in form and I think we'd see a very different Downing. Swansea players have commented on how Rodgers makes them "feel like a million dollars" (despite actually getting paid that and more in most cases..), I think Rodgers will be able to get more out of him. We need some depth on the flanks, even if I want more wingers.

Whilst Downing might be a horrible wuss and doesn't seem to want to take any responsibility, I think that the change in manager might help him. Rogers seems to give his players clear instructions about what he expects and Downing seems to play a lot better under this sort of leadership (O'Neil at Villa). I think he will be fine this year and we wouldn't get anywhere near what we paid for him so there would be no point in selling him.

Aquilani - I think it's been unfair on him in part, Woy didn't want him, Kenny didn't think he'd play enough. Aquilani wanted to be in Italy and also try to get into the Italian squad for the Euros. I think he now realises his international career is effectively over and the fact that he's played in Roma, Juventus and AC Milan in 4 seasons yet no big club in Italy have made a serious play in buying him, he must realise it's not going to happen for him in Italy. We've heard promising comments for a long long time from Aquilani about wanting to play for Liverpool. He'd fit into Rodger's type of play well and imo would be great for breaking down those smaller teams. He's that player who can play the quick pass either vertically or horizontally in the final third in an effective and creative manner. Even if we did sell him, we'd have to spend at least 10mil trying to replace him imo, since it's an obvious position we're lacking. He's got 2 years left, AC Milan won't buy him for circa 5mil, we can sell him for that same price next summer when he's got a year left on his contract.

I keep wanting Aquilani to come good and I still keep thinking that he could offer us something but it just appears that he isn't there mentally. He seems a bit 'broken' when it comes to playing in England and I remember a quote from Rafa saying how he thought Aquilani was weak mentally.

Cole - I simply don't think he's going to make it. If he was on 20k a week, I'd be less inclined to care but on the reported 90-100k? Not worth it and it's killing our wage bill by having an extra 5mil a year on it. Can we really afford to spend say 4-5% of our wage bill on him? I don't think so. He's done well at Lille and I think it's the perfect time to try and shift him off the books.

I just want him gone. I don't think he will offer anything to us and, as you say, he is costing us far too much money!

Adam - He's an easy scapegoat at the moment, and I enjoy slagging him off for no particular reason.
He shouldn't be on unreasonably wages and give more depth to our midfield. Problem is that he doesn't suit our style of play, and I don't think he'll suit Rodger's either. He basically needs to be the lynchpin to a smaller team which aims to get the ball up the pitch quickly and effectively. His passing is risky but can pay off for teams which don't retain the ball well. Opposite to what we need. If we could get a good fee, I'd be tempted to sell tbh but I'm not sure we could and again squad depth is an issue. Think I'd rather see Shelvey get a full season on loan somewhere than sit on our bench.

Even though I want Adam gone, sadly, with his injury, he isn't going anywhere this summer. I think he will be fine as a generic squad player over the next season, getting the cup games.

Henderson

Now this player, I am really looking forward to next season. This could be the making of him and I think Rogers' style will perfectly suit him. Henderson is tidy, never stays static and is willing to try and control a game.
I am expecting very good things from him this season :yep:
Original post by Mess.
Completely agree about Carragher, his wages are insane for how much he actually plays. I really don't understand why he was offered that amount even if he is the VC. He must have been offered those wages when he was about 29(?) which is ridiculous for a player who at most has 2-3 seasons at his top level.

Whilst Downing might be a horrible wuss and doesn't seem to want to take any responsibility, I think that the change in manager might help him. Rogers seems to give his players clear instructions about what he expects and Downing seems to play a lot better under this sort of leadership (O'Neil at Villa). I think he will be fine this year and we wouldn't get anywhere near what we paid for him so there would be no point in selling him.

I keep wanting Aquilani to come good and I still keep thinking that he could offer us something but it just appears that he isn't there mentally. He seems a bit 'broken' when it comes to playing in England and I remember a quote from Rafa saying how he thought Aquilani was weak mentally.

I just want him gone. I don't think he will offer anything to us and, as you say, he is costing us far too much money!

Even though I want Adam gone, sadly, with his injury, he isn't going anywhere this summer. I think he will be fine as a generic squad player over the next season, getting the cup games.

Now this player, I am really looking forward to next season. This could be the making of him and I think Rogers' style will perfectly suit him. Henderson is tidy, never stays static and is willing to try and control a game.
I am expecting very good things from him this season :yep:

Well I think Carragher's only got one year left in his contract so I guess we pay him his last big packet season out of loyalty and then we start paying him little/support staff wages? There would be no point in him trying to move or he can go to the MLS for a couple of years and then come back.

Agree about Downing, I think had he gotten a couple of those assists and goals that he really should've, we would've seen a very different Downing. I hoping he has one stellar game at the Euros so people don't beat him with a stick in the English media.

Yes re quote about Aquilani but I think it was a point more towards, he doesn't have that drive/determination to put his body on the line. However, he had just come back from a really serious and long term injury with set backs.

From wiki page - Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez stated that "It was a mistake for Liverpool to loan Aquilani. His quality has shone through all along and yet my successors have not given him a chance. He is a proven international and I believe if he were to come back he would play a prominent role in what would be a rejuvenated Liverpool side. He would bring quality and flair to a midfield in desperate need of these traits."

Can't from where the actual quote is from though.

You're right about Adam's injury. Don't think there is harm in keeping another season, as back up. I'd rather not have to bring Gerrard back to CM tbfh.

Next season could be a big one for Henderson but I'm not sure how much he would play? Gerrard and Lucas are the obvious names straight onto the team sheet and then we'll probably buy a midfield player.
Reply 1192
Original post by Zerforax
Well I think Carragher's only got one year left in his contract so I guess we pay him his last big packet season out of loyalty and then we start paying him little/support staff wages? There would be no point in him trying to move or he can go to the MLS for a couple of years and then come back.

Agree about Downing, I think had he gotten a couple of those assists and goals that he really should've, we would've seen a very different Downing. I hoping he has one stellar game at the Euros so people don't beat him with a stick in the English media.

Yes re quote about Aquilani but I think it was a point more towards, he doesn't have that drive/determination to put his body on the line. However, he had just come back from a really serious and long term injury with set backs.

From wiki page - Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez stated that "It was a mistake for Liverpool to loan Aquilani. His quality has shone through all along and yet my successors have not given him a chance. He is a proven international and I believe if he were to come back he would play a prominent role in what would be a rejuvenated Liverpool side. He would bring quality and flair to a midfield in desperate need of these traits."

Can't from where the actual quote is from though.

You're right about Adam's injury. Don't think there is harm in keeping another season, as back up. I'd rather not have to bring Gerrard back to CM tbfh.

Next season could be a big one for Henderson but I'm not sure how much he would play? Gerrard and Lucas are the obvious names straight onto the team sheet and then we'll probably buy a midfield player.

I wouldn't bet on Gerrard playing too many games next season if I'm honest, so Henderson will get more than enough games in my mind. Lucas will likely be rotated with whoever we get as his back up for the first couple of months whilst he brings his match fitness back up.
Rodgers outlines his LFC vision
Brendan Rodgers has spoken of his intention to play attacking football at Anfield and entertain the Kop.

After seeing his Swansea team applauded off the pitch for their performance at Anfield last November, he witnessed at close hand just what a unique bunch of supporters Liverpool have.

The new boss was reserve team manager at Stamford Bridge when Liverpool beat Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final, and he insists the special atmosphere of Anfield, matched by an attacking team can intimidate opponents.

Recalling the 2005 semi-final, Rodgers said: "The (Chelsea) players said they had never experienced support like that.

"That was ultimately what won the game. I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent's life.

"I want to see great attacking football with creativity and imagination, with relentless passing of the ball.

"I know what it's like because I had a team like that at Swansea. That was with a terrific group of players. When people came to Swansea, it was probably the longest 90 minutes in their life. So after 10 minutes, when they hadn't had a touch of the ball, they are looking at the clock and seeing only 10 minutes had gone. It's a long afternoon."

Rodgers knows the expectations at Anfield are different to those at the Liberty Stadium, but he has a strong mental approach and is eager to give the supporters something to shout about.

"When you come to a club like this one, the shirt weighs much heavier than any other shirt," he said.

"The weight of expectation is phenomenal. My job next season is to try and lift some of that weight off the shirt. I'll take the pressure.

"The players can just go and concentrate on performing and if you don't do that you'll get the result eight or nine times out of 10 because of your talent.

"The reality is that this is a club where I need to align the playing group with the supporters. There is an imbalance at the minute.

"You've got some of the world's best supporters here and the playing group is not quite at that level yet. What excities me is the motivation to get that level back up again and that is why I came."

The pass and move philosophy which has become Liverpool's trademark is what Rodgers wants to bring to the pitch on a regular basis and he insists it is important to keep those traditions.

He added: "I think every player will tell you they would love to play that way. The question is, does every player want to work that way?

"For me, a lot of our game is based on passing. Our game at Swansea was talked about a lot and lauded. What people didn't recognise is that to have the ball for 60-70 per cent of the game you have to get it back, very, very quickly.

"So our transition in the game and positioning to get the ball back became very good and that allowed us to beat Manchester City, to beat Arsenal, should have beaten Chelsea and to beat Liverpool.

"It's not starting from scratch but tweaking. I don't think it is a total rebuild.

"Obviously I have a philosophy in terms of where I want to get to but that won't happen on the first day. What we will need to do is make a number of adjustments and bring in players for key positions that will allow us to play that way.

"You can't come to Liverpool and play a direct game of football, lumping-it style.

"This is a club that is historic for the identity, style and DNA of its football."

I'm actually really excited to see what sort of players he buys and how he gets the team playing. He's saying all the right things at the moment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1194
Really like these Yes/No games that some of our players do.

Carroll - took 3 tries to do it, 3rd one kind of ****. Always liked it when he realised he said yes/no
Enrique - was better than Carroll's though not good
Pepe - his was the best since he didn't say yes/no apart from a once or twice
Stevie - cheated as he took long to answer.
Reply 1195
Original post by ChrisWilliams
You wouldn't have Joe Allen?

Not for the money Swansea will want for him.
Reply 1196
Original post by Tommyjw

Little bit of a dodgy slogan?
Just me?

It's a play on the slogan from 'The warriors' - the film.

Its jarg and doesn't scan right.
Reply 1198

You have to be a whole new level of stupid to not get that that is a joke.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

Sinclair has only a year to go on his contract. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rodgers get him on a free next Summer.

Latest