The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Mess.
I think his problem is that he has the brain speed of a ****ing halfwit. If he had any sort of game intelligence he would be an unbelieveable left back.

If you notice all those QnA sessions with players they all call Enrique the dumb one :p:
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Enrique, lack of pace? Jesus wept, he used to be a 100m sprinter!!!!!

I remember him getting beaten for pace on quite a few occasions last year, particularly when accelerating from scratch/turning. Maybe his slower reading of the play exaggerates that. One example was the Ramires goal in the FA Cup final, from memory, Enrique just let him stroll past.
Original post by Strangeclouds
I remember him getting beaten for pace on quite a few occasions last year, particularly when accelerating from scratch/turning. Maybe his slower reading of the play exaggerates that. One example was the Ramires goal in the FA Cup final, from memory, Enrique just let him stroll past.

1. It was ramires the fastest player on the pitch. You can't say he hasn't got pace because he got beaten by the fastest player there, it's like saying sergio ramos is slow because messi can pace him.
2. It was due to poor positioning mainly and not pace.
Reply 1384
Steve Clarke has left Liverpool!

No surprise though, he wanted to leave when Dalglish got sacked, but FSG refused. Plus Rodgers got his own assistant manager.

Now we need to wait for Kevin Keen's future. I guess Clarke is off to Celtic then?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1385
I wouldn't be surprised if Keen is replaced, as a more 'attack-minded' coach is hasn't really shown this last season. Interesting to see if Rodgers brings additional people in other than the Swansea staff he has already
Original post by *_*
Enrique has pace, he just doesn't clear it and tries to pass his way out of trouble all the time.

I think he picked that up when he was with us in the Championship. :colone:

Him and Coloccini used to regularly run/pass rings around attackers in our bottom left corner of the pitch; showboating to some extent basically. Obviously that was fine and pretty entertaining to watch in the Championship, but he carried it on in the Premier League and was caught out a few times - and apparently he's still at it. :tongue:
Original post by jam277
1. It was ramires the fastest player on the pitch. You can't say he hasn't got pace because he got beaten by the fastest player there, it's like saying sergio ramos is slow because messi can pace him.
2. It was due to poor positioning mainly and not pace.

That was one isolated example where his acceleration wasn't good enough.

Either way, the original point stands, I think we might be vulnerable to the counter, and I asked if anyone knew if Swansea conceded a lot of counterattack goals last year.

Original post by Gob Bluth
Swansea fan?

Wondering if you could help out here :colondollar:
Reply 1388
Here we go again: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7798118/

Speaking of Pacheco, Rodgers should probably give him a chance, especially in the Europa League. Would be good for him to start every European fixture.
Reply 1389
Odd how LMA have confirmed that Clarke has left and LFC didn't as of yet? possibly doing it tomorrow.
Reply 1390
Original post by *_*
Here we go again: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7798118/

Speaking of Pacheco, Rodgers should probably give him a chance, especially in the Europa League. Would be good for him to start every European fixture.

Not for me. He played 11 times at Rayo, all of which were from the bench I believe. If Sigurdson comes in, Pacheco has to go. He should anyway, really. I'd rather Suso/Adorjan got minutes ahead of him.
Reply 1391
Can't really see Rodgers giving Suso a chance tbh. Kenny never gave him, and Roy didn't. Possibly many of the youth similar to his position will be ahead of him.

Him and Wilson I think should be sold/go on loan. Cole looks to be staying, Aquilani ain't sure about, but he should be sold.
Original post by Strangeclouds
That was one isolated example where his acceleration wasn't good enough.

Either way, the original point stands, I think we might be vulnerable to the counter, and I asked if anyone knew if Swansea conceded a lot of counterattack goals last year.

Wondering if you could help out here :colondollar:

We were never really that prone, and tbh i think it was more of a problem of players making mistakes positionally when we were countered. Neil Taylor our LB for example i remember being out of position a few times. Namely i think against Arsenal when we beat them 3-2 he was caught out too far up the field (he is attacking strong, defensively weak), Walcott nipped past him there and scored. A lot of the goals we conceded were stupid errors. Casting my mind back a bad header from a goal kick from Britton led a goal from Hernandez of United when they beat us 1-0. It's testament to our style of play that we only conceded 18 goals at home this season despite having on paper a weak defence. What let us down was something that Sigurdsson brought us, and that was goals. Always thought he is too good for Swansea as sad as that is, just true. Just a phenomenal player. 90% of his shots are quality and have to force a good keeper save. When you add to that players of the level of Suarez, and Gerrard, i don't think goals will be the big issue at Liverpool as the creativity is there which is what was struggled at at Swansea.

With Liverpool you have a far stronger side. At Swansea we benefited from players stepping up and playing at their best levels they could ever hope to. Leon Britton has earned so many plaudits this season yet played in the old division 3 i believe, or was in the squad at the time. Technically Liverpool players are a lot stronger and so this should benefit them and make counter attacks conceded from much less.

It will be interesting to see how Rodgers does it here. He might play a quite different system? I don't really know, but the squad is different at Liverpool isn't it and is used to playing a very different game.
Reply 1393
Original post by mr tim
Can't really see Rodgers giving Suso a chance tbh. Kenny never gave him, and Roy didn't. Possibly many of the youth similar to his position will be ahead of him.

Him and Wilson I think should be sold/go on loan. Cole looks to be staying, Aquilani ain't sure about, but he should be sold.

Beyond Sterling, Suso is probably our most talented young player in an attacking position? Teixeira could be better, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't played since joining due to his injury. Adorjan is also of a similar level of ability, but he dropped off last season, I feel.

He's also had to grow physically. When he came to us he had a tiny frame, he's a lot stronger now than he was when he joined, and has added way more to his game defensively. I have absolutely no doubt that Rodgers will like him. I think he'll be on the bench in the Europa/League Cup, depending on how Rodgers wants to approach them.

He does need to add consistency to his game though. Before he does that at lower levels, I won't be confident of him succeeding here. A loan could be good, but it depends on where he goes.

I'd prefer Cole to go. His season at Lille really wasn't that good. For his wages, he will offer nowhere near enough. I'd rather Aquilani stayed out of the two, but that's unlikely. I have no idea where he would go though.
Reply 1394
He may give them a chance, fsg's and BR plan is to try and save some money and use players that graduate from the academy, let's hope he gives them a chance, if they fail they fail and we move on. At least we will know whether they were good enough or not.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JoeK

I'd prefer Cole to go. His season at Lille really wasn't that good. For his wages, he will offer nowhere near enough. I'd rather Aquilani stayed out of the two, but that's unlikely. I have no idea where he would go though.

What does Carra offer for his wages?
Reply 1396
Original post by Kevmeister
What does Carra offer for his wages?

Absolute abundance of experience (much more important for defensive players than offensive before you bring that one up). The fact that he's a Liverpool legend, ingrained in the club. Vice captain.

Yes, you can argue that he should reduce his wages for being 3rd (hopefully 4th choice this season) in his position. It really is not worth the debate, though. If you can't see the differences then it's pointless.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm far more inclined to allow Carragher to have his higher wages until he retires, which I think he will at the end of this next season.
Reply 1397
Apparently Kevin Keen also left as both Clarke and Keen didn't fit into Rodgers' plans.
I just hope we aren't 'out of the race for fourth' by March like last season, ending up with like 12 games of uselessness. We could say we should have just pushed on because Arsenal and Spurs both dropped loads of points over that time period but we would have too. Definitely. That's why we knew we were out of it.

Imagine if we hadn't been in the FA cup? What a torturous couple of months those would have been..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Odd how LMA have confirmed that Clarke has left and LFC didn't as of yet? possibly doing it tomorrow.

That's what I thought. Are they some sort of trade union for managers? This suggests the split wasn't very amicable.

Seems FSG wanted to keep Clarke on and he didn't.

Latest