The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology

Hello, friends! The exam looms.

For our mutual benefit, let us share areas of the course that we find difficult, as well as any predictions for essay questions or other parts of the exam.

Personally, I find it hard to comprehend any explanations of chromosome walking, and would be indebted to anyone who could clarify what it's all about for me, or point out a good resource for it. Thankfully it doesn't seem to make too prominent an appearance in the exams~

Sorry, I had trouble finding the pre-existent threads :bee2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*tumbleweed*

Haha i'll bump your thread up :tongue:

I've done basically no biology revision, been too busy focusing on maths (and the less said about it, the better!)

My main problem with biology isn't the knowledge aspects of it, it's when they give you the big report on some environmental investigation and ask questions on it that are of no relevence to the course.

That and data handling...
Reply 2
Original post by Harley
*tumbleweed*

Haha i'll bump your thread up :tongue:

I've done basically no biology revision, been too busy focusing on maths (and the less said about it, the better!)

My main problem with biology isn't the knowledge aspects of it, it's when they give you the big report on some environmental investigation and ask questions on it that are of no relevence to the course.

That and data handling...

Same! I need 2 B's at AH and I chose to focus on chemistry and maths, so haven't done biology at all haha so the exam should be fun!
Reply 3
Well here's hoping a nice lovley essay on the plasma membrane or any other interesting part of unit 1 comes up! NO UNIT 2 PLEASE! Hate the unit!
Reply 4
I guarantee you a unit 2 essay will come up. The essay units alter every year with odd years being unit 1 and even unit 2

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by Qxz
I guarantee you a unit 2 essay will come up. The essay units alter every year with odd years being unit 1 and even unit 2

I won't be happy if it's phosphatey or to do with monoculture; I seem to forget all that stuff the instant I read over it
Reply 6
Could someone please help me with pcr and DNA profiling and everything else that goes with that part of the course, never understood it! :/

Reply 7
Anyone got multiple choice answers?
Reply 8
Thought that paper was not bad actually, better than I expected :wink:
Good stuff-the only exam I've come out of happy. :tongue:
Reply 10
I actually really liked the paper overall, only one I feel quite confident in so far. I didn't like the whole mRNA bit after the multiple choice, I just couldn't get my head around some aspects of it for ages. I loved the decomposition/nutrient cycling essay question. Reminds me of how I loved the Higher essay questions last year as well.

Really quite annoyed with myself because I only spent a little time revising for this exam in comparison to my higher maths which I actually need and I found this advanced higher exam far easier! Sadly my brain seems to be wired for biology rather than mathematics. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Reenyza
I actually really liked the paper overall, only one I feel quite confident in so far. I didn't like the whole mRNA bit after the multiple choice, I just couldn't get my head around some aspects of it for ages. I loved the decomposition/nutrient cycling essay question. Reminds me of how I loved the Higher essay questions last year as well.

Really quite annoyed with myself because I only spent a little time revising for this exam in comparison to my higher maths which I actually need and I found this advanced higher exam far easier! Sadly my brain seems to be wired for biology rather than mathematics. :frown:

I only started studying for this yesterday because of maths and found this much easier as well :tongue:.
Reply 12
What did people get for the multiple choice?
Reply 13
I definitely made some mistakes, but here's what i got:
BDDDD CACAB CDAAB ABCDC BDACA
Reply 14
These are my multiple choice answers, but I've probably got quite a few wrong:

BDDBDCABABCDCABABCDCBDACB

But I was pretty unsure with a few like 4, 5, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16... never mind, you get the point :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by rp1401
These are my multiple choice answers, but I've probably got quite a few wrong:

BDDBDCABABCDCABABCDCBDACB

But I was pretty unsure with a few like 4, 5, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16... never mind, you get the point :frown:

We have quite a lot of the same ones!
Reply 16
Original post by Student666
I definitely made some mistakes, but here's what i got:
BDDDD CACAB CDAAB ABCDC BDACA

Yeah, I've just checked and these all seem right to me. Damn I sucked :frown: But well done :smile:
Reply 17
Actually 13 I don't think is, but apart from that :smile:
Original post by rp1401
Actually 13 I don't think is, but apart from that :smile:

Yea I got C for 13!
Reply 19
I got BDDCD CACAB DDCBB AACDC BAACA so about 5 different ones.

I always make so many silly errors in multiple choice. :s-smilie: I couldn't remember 4 at all really. Really annoyed at what I put for question 14 and 11 though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending