The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
What was the role of hydrogen bonding in maintaining the hairpin shape? I wrote an essay for it saying they have a function of providing support for the shape and talked about hydrogen bonding between base pairs
Reply 81
Original post by Babb_zz
What was the role of hydrogen bonding in maintaining the hairpin shape? I wrote an essay for it saying they have a function of providing support for the shape and talked about hydrogen bonding between base pairs

I think thats fine
Reply 82
those who did physiology, did you guys put the individual is not obese due to him having a BMI less than 30?
Original post by Babb_zz
those who did physiology, did you guys put the individual is not obese due to him having a BMI less than 30?

yes i got his bmi to be 27.(something) so less than 30 thus not obese and obese is classified as over 30
Reply 84
Original post by onlyifforanight
yes i got his bmi to be 27.(something) so less than 30 thus not obese and obese is classified as over 30

Yeah same here
What did yous guys say for the question where you were to make a conclusing from the graph in which the new drug was trialed for angina?
Reply 86
Original post by freedom123
What did yous guys say for the question where you were to make a conclusing from the graph in which the new drug was trialed for angina?

a higher dosage resulted in a higher increase in time before the onset of angina
Original post by jordan0141
a higher dosage resulted in a higher increase in time before the onset of angina

Thats what I put, but i was reluctant as to whether it was right or not because the question seem to give you an awful lot of information just for a simple answer like that! :O
Reply 88
Thats what I put, but i was reluctant as to whether it was right or not because the question seem to give you an awful lot of information just for a simple answer like that! :O

aye a thought it looked too easy but it was only for one mark :P
Reply 89
What was the impedence one? I just blagged and wrote that its not accurate and there lean tissue such as muscle may be included LOL!

Aww me too, i put weight and volume of water!

Yeah i wrote "Excercising decreases weight!" hahaha

For the impedance question I put that it underestimates body fat in severally obese people

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Did anyone put bioaccumulation?

Original post by jordan0141
What did everyone write about the krill further increasing global warming? I wrote some garbage about them migrating to a colder area where their waste will be decomposed

I wrote that the ice wouldn't last as long and so they would need to hunt more often in open waters>greater death rates>their co2 would be decomposed when their predators (penguins) die so increase in global warming. Looked decent until I brought up penguins! :tongue:
Ugh, I do not feel confident after that exam.

That data interpretation was a monster :frown: and I wasn't keen on many of the MC questions.

Anyone out there do Animal Behaviour?
Original post by ConnorMcKenzie
Did anyone put bioaccumulation?

I did!!!
Original post by DragonHeartstring
Ugh, I do not feel confident after that exam.

That data interpretation was a monster :frown: and I wasn't keen on many of the MC questions.

Anyone out there do Animal Behaviour?

I agree, the data interp. was hard :frown: and the m/choice was fairly "thick" and required a good few thoughts into nearly every question!

Sorry, i done physiology, health & excercise!
For the DDE one, did anyone say something like the DDT would leach out to the sea, bioaccumulate and transform in the fish as DDE and then the birds would eat the contaminated fish?

Original post by Semple
Not a bad exam overall. :smile:

I have a question though. I normally do exams in my school and they supply the pencils for multiple choice section. This exam was done at a nearby college though and I just assumed they would provide them. They didn't and instead gave me a cheap pencil with no rubber when I asked. The information states clearly to use a HB pencil. Will this mean they will not accept my answers? Will the scanner still be able to read them? Thanks.

Surely if it isn't readable, it will either flag it as unreadable or give you 0 out of 25 (but surely if it did the latter, there would be safeguards in place that would flag extremely low scores to be re-marked by a human marker).
For the DDE one, did anyone say something like the DDT would leach out to the sea, bioaccumulate and transform in the fish as DDE and then the birds would eat the contaminated fish?

Pretty much the same :smile: I think DDT and DDE both affect the birds so when it was talking about DDT and then 'the pollutant', I wasn't sure whether it was being transformed into DDE or just affecting the birds as DDT. I did put in about biotransformation though. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

I did, although I didn't sat the DDT transformed in the fish, I just said that the DDT would leach from the hillside into rivers that connect to the sea, and that types of plankton would take it in, which is eaten by fish, and is in turn eaten by the bird and the continual eating of it led to accumulation (I forgot to specifically say that the DDT transformed)
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree, the data interp. was hard :frown: and the m/choice was fairly "thick" and required a good few thoughts into nearly every question!

Sorry, i done physiology, health & excercise!

It didn't help I don't recall much about specific qualities of RNA - that made me panic a bit. I agree about the mc being thick, it was especially the questions with graphs and you had to choose a conclusion that could be made from the results - those kind drive me round the bend!

Ahh. We got a new bio teacher year that told us he would switch the course to do physiology next year - we had already learned animal behaviour before he came, so had to stick with it. I think physiology would have been more suited to our class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending