The Student Room Group

History of Art 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by arty
Hi. I went to the Birmingham open day yesterday, the History of Art department was REALLY impressive! It's basically set in an established gallery (called the Barber Institute of Fine Art) It has a great collection of pieces there (including works by Magritte, Turner, Monet, Manet, Degas, Reubens etc) it's like Birmingham's mini national gallery! It's right on campus and part of the university & where you are based and have lectures & seminars but the exhibition space is also open to the public. http://www.barber.org.uk/collections.html I was talking to a couple of currents students who said often their lecturer would take them into the gallery space to see the paintings first hand and examine them. Working for the paintings by masters within the building! Lots of opportunity to be involved with curating. The Birmingham Campus is also very well equipt! It's also really quite high in the league tables for History Of Art.

There was also a good chance to study abroad if you wanted to, as well as short study trips. Also opportunities to take a module or two outside of HOA - could be anything like another language to enhance your study further or another arts subject.

Ah yes I have heard great things about Birmingham and will try applying myself :smile: I've found not to many people know about Leicester or Essex.. sounds silly but the very fact Leeds interview sort of puts me off applying :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Original post by dnjswjdals
I'm thinking of applying to History of Art as well but I don't take any essay based A level subjects.. Would I have a chance at UCL and Oxford? I am predicted A*A*B.

Oxford - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/history_of_art/history_of_art__1.html

UCL - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees/ugprogs/UBAHARSING05
Reply 22
Definately!
Reply 24
Original post by dnjswjdals
I'm thinking of applying to History of Art as well but I don't take any essay based A level subjects.. Would I have a chance at UCL and Oxford? I am predicted A*A*B.

Hi, what are your subjects?

I've heard they are not too picky with specific subjects as long as you can prove your interest/commitment :smile: Only a very small percentage of aplicants have actually taken a history of art a level. I know subjects like History, English and languages are well thought of though.
Reply 25
Hey guys !
I will be applying for History of art as well !
um.. but i am still not sure about my Uni choices ..
any ideas ?
also what's history of art with material studies ?

thankssss xxx
Reply 26
Original post by moneymoney
Hey guys !
I will be applying for History of art as well !
um.. but i am still not sure about my Uni choices ..
any ideas ?
also what's history of art with material studies ?

thankssss xxx

In History of Art with Material Studies you will look at a much more practicle side of teh subject and do conservation.
Hey useful thread don't die!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Thread has gone a bit dead..
Hows everyone's application coming along? Where have you all applied? Or better yet, any offers? :smile:
Reply 29
I got offers 1 week ago from Bristol and York and acknowledgements from Oxford, Nottingham and UCL... has anybody else got any offers? :smile:
Reply 30
I have no offers yet !! xxxx
but still waiting
Reply 31
Whats your Bristol and York offers if you don't mind me asking, and how quick did they get back to you? :smile:
My application was sent to UCAS today to: York, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Plymouth
Reply 32
ooo i applied to Birmingham too !!!
Reply 33
ooo i applied to Birmingham too !!!

Woo! :biggrin: I keep checking other TSR threads to see responses made from History departments from my Uni's to try get a generalised idea of when I might be looking to hear something.. although its a far ask as no one I have found is applying for specifically History of Art.. I'm hoping this somehow reflects less competition for it? :colone:
Reply 34
Original post by Jade10128
Woo! :biggrin: I keep checking other TSR threads to see responses made from History departments from my Uni's to try get a generalised idea of when I might be looking to hear something.. although its a far ask as no one I have found is applying for specifically History of Art.. I'm hoping this somehow reflects less competition for it? :colone:

well.. not too sure about less competition though ...
hopefully I could get into a uni ... :frown:(
Reply 35
well.. not too sure about less competition though ...
hopefully I could get into a uni ... :frown:(

Wishful thinking I guess, hopefully though! Not as in demand as say Law, English etc. You will get into Uni! Where have you applied?
I only sent it off yesterday and I'm checking emails already..one came through an hour ago..from Amazon :rolleyes:
Reply 36
Bristol - A*AA and York - AAB --> they both arrived on the same day, same time 16 days after I applied so the 16th October. Now I'm waiting on UCL and Nottingham! Does anybody know how long Nottingham will take? :confused:
Reply 37
Original post by AM95
Bristol - A*AA and York - AAB --> they both arrived on the same day, same time 16 days after I applied so the 16th October. Now I'm waiting on UCL and Nottingham! Does anybody know how long Nottingham will take? :confused:

I'd like to know Nottingham too, I have heard they reply December time? I know it depends on the department..but I don't know anyone with an offer for any course yet.
Reply 38
neither.. I have the log-in to the applicant portal but it just says they are 'considering' my application. Where else are you applying? any offers?
Reply 39
Other than Notts I applied to York, Plymouth, Birmingham and Bristol. No offers yet :/ Only got processed yesterday afternoon though :smile: Congrats on the York offer! I'd love to get an offer from there..wishful thinking lol

Quick Reply

Latest