The Student Room Group

AS level subject choice.. need advice,thanks

Removed due to privacy issue.
(edited 10 years ago)
Last edited by sundaymouse; 43 Minutes Ago at 16:13. Reason: one mistake

More than one, this may help.

Spoiler

You're going to lose some marks on literacy if you do essay subjects so keep away from Geography.

I think it'd be a good idea for you to go down the Sciences/Mathsy route as you've stated.

I heard Biology requires English skills so stay away from that?

Chemistry/Maths/Physics/Further Maths?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
if your good at english then you don't need maths and further maths base your options around what you enjoy and are good at not tradition
Chemistry.
Original post by sundaymouse
Hello guys,
i am a student from China who is now following parents to study in UK.
Now i am facing the selection of subjects in AS level. (I am now in Senior 1 just like Year 11, gonna study in Year 12 this September.)

Now i am contacting a high school in the city which i'll be in.The head teacher, in the mail , told me that i have to tell them the subjects i prefer as soon as possible.

As a traditional Asian, in order to make my future study easier, i first choosed Maths and Further Mathematics. i wanna to study something like Computer Science or Engineering in university in the future, so i think the necessary one for me is Physics. Then i have a trouble doubting between Geography and Chemistry...

I am interested in both, i think the biggest thing affects my choice is whether it is strongly dependent on English skills.therefore, i dont want to study subjects like History or other languages.

In addition, The school i am applying for does not provide computing courses.But i think im really talented in computing...:biggrin:

Plz give me some advice on which one is better for me, or there is any other one that fits me? Thank you very much!

Easy choice. Do Chemistry, it's linked to your other subjects more and your English writing skills don't need to be as good. Whereas if you choose Geography, English writing skills is more important. Btw I'm probably going to do a Computer Science degree too. I'm going to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I'm going to drop Chemistry after completing it at AS, and you should do the same because you don't need Chemistry for Computer Science and you can focus on your other subjects more at A2 if you drop Chemistry. Let me know once you have decided what you want to do. Thanks! :smile:

EDIT: Which city will you be in by the way? I'm just curious, that's all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello guys,
Now i am facing the selection of subjects in AS level.<snip>
i first choosed Maths and Further Mathematics. i wanna to study something like Computer Science or Engineering in university in the future, so i think the necessary one for me is Physics. Then i have a trouble doubting between Geography and Chemistry...
<snip>The school i am applying for does not provide computing courses.But i think im really talented in computing...:biggrin:

Hi
This is an Oxford specific answer, but we're not to dissimilar to other top British Unis, so hopefully it will be of use to you.

If you were applying to one of our undergraduate Computer Science degrees, Maths A Level would be essential. Computing is a mathematical subject, especially in the way we approach it at Oxford. So you will need to know some mathematics, and more importantly, to have developed your ability in mathematical thinking. We think doing both Maths and Further Maths to A2 is the best way of doing this (but we recognize that some schools are unable to offer this combination). We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. So it sounds like you've got that totally covered.

Some students come to us having studied Computing at school; many haven't. We aren't looking for any specific computing knowledge, but we are looking for a genuine interest in the subject.

We will normally make an offer of A*AA on three A levels including at least an A in Maths. For the straight Computer Science degree the A* must be in Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing.

If you wanted to do a forth A/AS Level either Geography or Chemistry would be absolutely absolutely fine. Pick one you think you'd enjoy.

There's more information on what we look for in candidates on our webpages.

Hope that helps.
Chemistry requires no significant English skills, whereas geography does. On the other hand, chemistry is arguably the hardest A level subject. It's ok if you're just doing it at AS level.

Bottom line: chemistry better because of little English required, but harder as a subject. Geography is easier but requires more English. Go for chemistry, AS isn't too bad, and if you're mathematically inclined, then it will be a breeze.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Miracle Day
Last edited by sundaymouse; 43 Minutes Ago at 16:13. Reason: one mistake

More than one, this may help.

Spoiler

You're going to lose some marks on literacy if you do essay subjects so keep away from Geography.

I think it'd be a good idea for you to go down the Sciences/Mathsy route as you've stated.

I heard Biology requires English skills so stay away from that?

Chemistry/Maths/Physics/Further Maths?

So you could write an entire post in fluent Chinese without a single mistake could you?
Original post by g.k.galloway
So you could write an entire post in fluent Chinese without a single mistake could you?

No. Hence why I'm not moving into Chinese education :smile:

And it's Mandarin.
Reply 9
Original post by Miracle Day
No. Hence why I'm not moving into Chinese education :smile:

And it's Mandarin.

Yeh okay but their giving it a go, that's much better than I could do!

ahhh yes lol *'duh' moment*
Original post by g.k.galloway
Yeh okay but their giving it a go, that's much better than I could do!

ahhh yes lol *'duh' moment*

It is. But OP has to compete with people 100% fluent in English.

And I hardly doubt he woke up one morning and decided "Ohh I'll go to England and do A Levels, why not? I'll give it a go!"
Reply 11
Thank you all, friends.
Firstly I finally chosed Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Geography.( gonna drop Geography in A2)
Many thanks to Miracle day, he has pointed several grammar mistakes in my post.(the letter “i“ is not a mistake though, because I am writing on an iPad :smile: any way thanks a lot.
And I am also pretty sure that I need to keep myself being challenged, and the head teacher also told me “The Geography Deal“ is much “cheaper“ than “The Chemistry Deal“.
Also, here in China, our English course is full of Mouth-reading and resaiding (I am not pretty sure if the above spellings are correct). I hardly have any time to practise my speaking and writing, so I am now trying my best to get used to them.

Many many thanks to your valuable advice!:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Ferrari_1996
Easy choice. Do Chemistry, it's linked to your other subjects more and your English writing skills don't need to be as good. Whereas if you choose Geography, English writing skills is more important. Btw I'm probably going to do a Computer Science degree too. I'm going to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I'm going to drop Chemistry after completing it at AS, and you should do the same because you don't need Chemistry for Computer Science and you can focus on your other subjects more at A2 if you drop Chemistry. Let me know once you have decided what you want to do. Thanks! :smile:

EDIT: Which city will you be in by the way? I'm just curious, that's all.

I am going to Hull, near East Riding of Yorkshire. I know there are few excellent high schools in Hull, but I have to follow my parents.

I had been in the UK for 20days in Jan&Feb this year, I have got a little close to the real life, about Cheap-buying, Transpot cards, Policys related to a Oversea students,etc.
So i think the important for me is to get used to academic life.I do well in Science and Maths( EXCPPEPT Chinese Chemistry --- I really hate the way my teachers teaching Chemistry.)
Thank you for your advice.
I am going to Hull, near East Riding of Yorkshire. I know there are few excellent high schools in Hull, but I have to follow my parents.

I had been in the UK for 20days in Jan&Feb this year, I have got a little close to the real life, about Cheap-buying, Transpot cards, Policys related to a Oversea students,etc.
So i think the important for me is to get used to academic life.I do well in Science and Maths( EXCPPEPT Chinese Chemistry --- I really hate the way my teachers teaching Chemistry.)
Thank you for your advice.

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest