The Student Room Group

Higher History Predictions 2012

Under a week till the exam, how are we all feeling?

I was planning on starting my revision for History on Friday, but here I am now, still not having made any progress and aimlessly reading threads... :facepalm:

This year I'm risking it and memorising essays instead of actually learning the content like I did for my Modern Studies and English essays. However, since there's only 3 essays to choose from now with the new format of the exam paper, it's harder to predict which essays are most likely to appear. Therefore I'm going to memorise each essay which didn't appear last year, since obviously one will have to appear or it would just be the exact same paper as last year. However, I was going to memorise an extra essay for each topic, meaning I'd be memorising 8 essays in total for both topics (Britain and Germany) although I'm not sure whether there's any point now.

The issues which appeared last year were 1, 3 and 5. So I'm going to memorise the essays for issues 2, 4 and 6. And if I do decide to memorise an extra essay, I might choose issue 1 as a repeat since it didn't appear in 2010, whilst 3 and 5 were in the 2010 paper.

What are you all predicting and how far have you gotten with revision? :grin:

Edit: I've changed my mind on how I'm going to learn the essays seeing as I've wasted so much time and now only really have 3 full days left of revision before the exam. I'm now going to type up essay plans from essays I already have and then get them written down to hopefully learn them from paper instead of going on my laptop and accidently going on TSR. I will still be learning the same issues, but I might be able to actually learn the 2 extra essays for issue 1 now with my changed method. Good luck to everyone!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Britain and America and just had a look through some past papers to see what came up most often/last year. I think for Britain I'm going to revise all of the ones I've put in the list, as I HATE writing about 'Women & the Vote'.

I'm more worried about America though (anyone else doing it) as there seem to just be LOADS of possible questions on the civil rights movement which require endless knowledge. Also, the only question that comes up every year is economics and that's the topic we didn't do :frown: I'll probably just end up learning the first two questons, 'how successful was the C.R. campaign in the 50s/60s', the causes of the C.R. campaign and reading up a bit more about the radicals.

Are you learning loads of quotes for your essays? My teacher seems to think they're absolutely essential but it doesn't really mention them on the marking schemes. I'll probably learn a few though.

I also made up this quickly if anyone would like to see it:

Britain

Effectiveness of Liberal Reforms II 2011/2010
Effectiveness of Labour Reforms III 2010/2009/2007
Analysis of Progress of Democracy III 2010/2009/2007
Causes of Liberal Reforms II 2008/2007
Causes of Growth of Democracy II 2011/2008

America

Immigration hostility causes II 2011/2009
Problems faced by black Americans 1920s (Multi Ethnic State) III 2010/2008/2007
Causes of growth of Civil Rights campaigns (50s-60s) II 2011/2010
Reasons for improvements for black Americans (to 1968) II 2010/2008
Success of black radicals (60s) I 2009
Concerns of the Civil Rights campaigns (50s-60s) I 2007
Reply 2
My teacher emphasises that for a good A, you should include historiography as this allows for good arguments and analysis to be made. So yeah, quotes and evidence are important. I don't know how many I'm going to learn yet, I'll just see how many I can find for each essay.

I can't help you with America, although I personally think it's a waste of time learning content on the effectiveness of Liberal Reforms as it's appeared in the past 2 years. I think it will be causes of Liberal reforms as that hasn't appeared since 2008, or Labour simply because it's been Liberals in the past 2 years.
Original post by Nfergs
My teacher emphasises that for a good A, you should include historiography as this allows for good arguments and analysis to be made. So yeah, quotes and evidence are important. I don't know how many I'm going to learn yet, I'll just see how many I can find for each essay.

I can't help you with America, although I personally think it's a waste of time learning content on the effectiveness of Liberal Reforms as it's appeared in the past 2 years. I think it will be causes of Liberal reforms as that hasn't appeared since 2008, or Labour simply because it's been Liberals in the past 2 years.

Yeah, I'll probably do the most work on labour/democracy - it does seem unlikely that the liberals (effectiveness) will come up again this year.
Reply 4
Original post by JumbleJumble
Yeah, I'll probably do the most work on labour/democracy - it does seem unlikely that the liberals (effectiveness) will come up again this year.

Are you memorising or going for the smarter option by learning all the content?
Original post by Nfergs
Are you memorising or going for the smarter option by learning all the content?

Memorising essay plans I think.
Reply 6
Original post by JumbleJumble
Memorising essay plans I think.

Oh I sort of tried to do that for Modern Studies although they took so long to write out which put me off doing it for the rest of my essay writing subjects. Just make sure you have lots of time to go over them, you're lucky if I looked over mine twice after I finally got them all written out. :frown:
Reply 7
I'm memorizing essay plans and sources notes.I am actually terrified.
Reply 8
For paper 2 I'm just going to read my notes a few times and memorise statistics since it's much easier to write content from the top of you head compared to paper 1.
Reply 9
I'm memorizing essay plans, then for paper two I'm just going to try and memorise little nuggets of information to use as my recall.
Reply 10
Would I be okay with memorising the 3 essays which didn't appear last year in both topics? I know it's best if I memorised an extra just to be on the safe side, however due to little time left, I really don't have the time to memorise 8 essays in 3-4 days and revise for paper 2.
Reply 11
I am confused.. How many sub-topics are in the Britain Topic?

We have been taught 4:

Liberal Reforms
Labour Welfare Reforms
Democracy
Suffragettes

which would make me think that it would be okay to revise two really well(Labour and Liberals as it is definitethat one would come up.

My teacher suggested learning three instead ( which means i would have to brush up on the suffragettes, i am not even touching democracy)
as it is out of five sub topics (including rise of labour party which we haven't covered) can someone please help and give an idea on how many would be essential?

Sorry about the rambling ^ :P
Reply 12
Original post by LiveToSki
I am confused.. How many sub-topics are in the Britain Topic?

We have been taught 4:

Liberal Reforms
Labour Welfare Reforms
Democracy
Suffragettes

Like Germany, or whatever country you're doing, there's 6 issues.

1. Reasons for Britain becoming more democratic between 1850 and 1928.
2. The ways Britain became democratic between 1867 and 1928.
3. Women achieving political equality by 1928.
4. The reasons for the Liberal Government of 1906-1914 passing Welfare Reforms.
5. The effectiveness of the Liberal Reforms
6. The passing of more (Labour) Welfare Reforms after WWII and their effectiveness.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Like Germany, or whatever country you're doing, there's 6 issues.

6. The passing of more (Labour) Welfare Reforms after WWII and their effectiveness.

That's fantastic if it's true( haha i'm sure it is) :P

so if i have revised all aspects of Labour and Liberals really well i am sorted?

The Britain book is misleading then .. as it contains like 8 different issues.. :| ?
Reply 14
so if i have revised all aspects of Labour and Liberals really well i am sorted?

It's really hard to say to be honest since there's only 3 essays to choose from now instead of 4. If it was 4, I would have definitely said yes but now I'm unsure. Like I've said before, I wouldn't worry about learning content on the effectiveness of Liberal Reforms since that has been asked in the past 2 years in a row, so it's more likely to be why were the Liberal Reforms introduced.

Also remember that if it's issues 1, 2 and 3 in Britain, it will also be 1 ,2 and 3 for the other country you do! I'm not saying it will be this exact layout, it was just an example. :rolleyes:
Reply 15

okay, but say i just prepared for liberals and labour really well (so 4,5 and 6), ONLY 1,2 and 3 would never come up because they would never include two questions on democracy, right?

I mean it is 6 questions, but really it is four topics( Liberals, Suffragettes, Labour and Democracy) so if i revised two of those i would be fine as it will ask 3 questions on three separate sub unit topics..

So no matter which variation of questions come up, i will always be able to answer at least one really well
Reply 16
okay, but say i just prepared for liberals and labour really well (so 4,5 and 6), ONLY 1,2 and 3 would never come up because they would never include two questions on democracy, right?

I mean it is 6 questions, but really it is four topics( Liberals, Suffragettes, Labour and Democracy) so if i revised two of those i would be fine as it will ask 3 questions on three separate sub unit topics..

So no matter which variation of questions come up, i will always be able to answer at least one really well

I guess so. There's a chance they would include 2 democracy questions if it was still the 4 essay layout. But I also doubt with the new essay layout they would ask 2 questions on Liberals or Labour.

I'm personally going to be memorising the essays for 2, 4 and 6 only because they didn't appear last year and one definitely has to come up.
Reply 17
i was going to do 4, 5 and 6.

Yes, me too. I am really confident about Liberals and Labour. My teacher wants me to be able to do two questions in any given combination incase one is a top i know well but just a bad question.

But really all they could do is:

Why were the Liberal reforms introduced/ or something like "National security was a reason for the 1905 revolution" Discuss which is the same thing
How effective were they?

How successful were the Labour reforms/ Did Labour create a welfare state?/ NHS was the true sucess out of the Labour reforms discuss etc
I'm hoping Liberals/Labour come up,or Women,even though that is less likely,as I like that essay. For Germany,I'm hoping for a growth of nationalism essay up to 1850,obstacles to unification up to 1850,or either of the Nazi essays,preferably a Nazi state essay,as last year was the rise of the Nazi's apparently. As for Paper 2,I'm just focusing on memorizing key events,dates and people for recall,while going over key sources according to each of the four issues. Whew! Let's keep soldiering on through everyone!
Reply 19
Either Liberals or Labour reforms will definitely come up:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending